Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #1

Rear Window Defroster: Pre-2003

Greetings everyone!

This is my first post here and I have a question. But, before I get to the question, I'll start by saying that I do not own a Porsche. I have had a Miata (2003) but sold it last year (needed the cash). Now the time has come again for another roadster and I'm seriously considering a Boxster. My budget (~$25K) allows me either a 2002 or a 2003. However, if I go with a 2003, my choices are limited. I'm considering a 2002 but I have a silly question....

How do you defog the plastic rear window?

The 2003 has the rear defogger but on 2002 models it doesn't have them. I live in Quebec, Canada and I expect to be driving the car into October. There will be some cool mornings and I'll need to see out the back. So, what is done to keep it clear?

Please be patient with me if I ask a few silly questions. If you have any other suggestions for a newbie to Porsche, please fire away. You can easily mention things that you would do today but didn't do when you got your last Porsche. I want to learn from your experience (mistakes).

Thanks for your comments.

Mark

Last edited by mef38; 09-04-2007 at 08:43 PM.
mef38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #2

I think you mean "defrost." I find the plastic doesn't get too frosty in cold weather. Then again, I'm in Texas. You could get a hard top though for the '02. Boxsters do come with a switch/plug for the defroster for the hardtop.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
I think you mean "defrost." I find the plastic doesn't get too frosty in cold weather. Then again, I'm in Texas. You could get a hard top though for the '02. Boxsters do come with a switch/plug for the defroster for the hardtop.
Yup, I meant "Defrost". I never thought about a hard top for the 2002. That's a possibility (and another expense).

Mark
Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #4

In the '03 models and beyond they replaced the rear convertible plastic window with glass, which includes a defroster. With the plastic windows, there is no defroster. The defroster-button is in the '02 and before, but it only works on the mirrors (and the rear window if you have the Boxster hardtop currently attached).

Although the plastic won't fog as bad, I hear it can crack in cold temperatures. If you are dealing with frozen winters without a garage, I'd probably recommend either an '03+ or even better, buy a Boxster + a hardtop for winter use.

Good luck!

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
In the '03 models and beyond they replaced the rear convertible plastic window with glass, which includes a defroster. With the plastic windows, there is no defroster. The defroster-button is in the '02 and before, but it only works on the mirrors (and the rear window if you have the Boxster hardtop currently attached).

Although the plastic won't fog as bad, I hear it can crack in cold temperatures. If you are dealing with frozen winters without a garage, I'd probably recommend either an '03+ or even better, buy a Boxster + a hardtop for winter use.

Good luck!

-David
Thanks David. I wasn't planning on driving it all winter but only until late October when it'll be placed in a garage until spring. But I do appreciate the ideas for myself and any other readers. I guess I'll just have to wait for the perfect opportunity for an '03 that is less than $25k.

Mark
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #6

Shameless plug!

Hey, sell you my 01 S for 25K USD, it has a brand new top with a glass window and rear defroster!
All you have to do is come to NJ!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
To add to Marc's plug,

You an get an 02 or early and have a new top with glass put on the car. Then the defroster/defogger is already to be hooked up.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote