Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to sonny200
Question Outside Temp Reading

In an FAQ I read on another forum, the poster said all Boxster's are equipped with the outside (ambient air) temp sensor but without the computer option, it isn't switched on. He went on to say a Porsche dealer's service dept could activate the temp sensor to give a reading just below the odo on the tach.

Is this true? Anyone done this?

I have this on my other car as an OEM feature & I'd love to have it on the Boxster.

2003 Porsche Boxster S
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
1995 M-Edition FMII Mazda Miata

Sponsored by P.O.S. Motorsports
sonny200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny200
In an FAQ I read on another forum, the poster said all Boxster's are equipped with the outside (ambient air) temp sensor but without the computer option, it isn't switched on. He went on to say a Porsche dealer's service dept could activate the temp sensor to give a reading just below the odo on the tach.

Is this true? Anyone done this?

I have this on my other car as an OEM feature & I'd love to have it on the Boxster.

i dont have a temp reading,
Old 07-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #3

On 1997-2000 if the OBC/trip computer was turned on you would see the outside temp.

In 2001 Porsche changed the instrument cluster. On a 2001-2004 if the OBC is turned on you see nothing unless you retrofit a switch or the stalk. On 2001-2004 the OBC display is the same display used for the trip odometer. Therefore you cannot see the OBC display without a switch/stalk so that you can switch to the next display.

For a 1999 you can have the outside temp display turned on with a PST2/PIWIS. No retrofit is needed as the OBC display is not shared.

The exceptions are some early 1997s that did not have the outside temp sensor installed. Other exceptions are cars that do not have a/c, which are cars outside of North America.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to sonny200
Thanks for that detailed explanation.

I guess I'll just hafta live without the outside temp being displayed!

2003 Porsche Boxster S
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
1995 M-Edition FMII Mazda Miata

Sponsored by P.O.S. Motorsports
sonny200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #5

After a while you might change your mind. You can have the OBC turned on by someone with a PST2/PIWIS, but you will not see anything until the retrofit.

Then you retrofit a switch or a new stalk assembly. Switch is about $35. New stalk assembly about $158. About $15 for 5 VW wires and a connector. Then you will have the OBC just like a 2001.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
After a while you might change your mind. You can have the OBC turned on by someone with a PST2/PIWIS, but you will not see anything until the retrofit.

Then you retrofit a switch or a new stalk assembly. Switch is about $35. New stalk assembly about $158. About $15 for 5 VW wires and a connector. Then you will have the OBC just like a 2001.
Hey toolpants, I was looking for this very info after we spoke last time -- finally found it in your post . I also tried to imagine having a stalk in the car, and you were right -- my left knee would definitely come in contact with it when changing gears etc. (for those who are having difficulty following - I'm 6'2", and toolpants had pointed out that taller people didn't prefer the stalk due to restricted room).

Let me know when we have the next "work on cars" day (I don't need to get mine done right away, so I could learn while working on someone else's car, and then do my car on my own).
vbhagwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:46 AM   #7

I was reading somwhere that you see the temperature because it is the first item, but if you add switch you can get the gas milleage, etc.. is this true on 99 boxster? I got the temperature displayed, but no computer option or switch to change it, i guess it just has been activated before? maby I could hide a switch somewhere in the car else then in the dash just to change those? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
On 1997-2000 if the OBC/trip computer was turned on you would see the outside temp.

In 2001 Porsche changed the instrument cluster. On a 2001-2004 if the OBC is turned on you see nothing unless you retrofit a switch or the stalk. On 2001-2004 the OBC display is the same display used for the trip odometer. Therefore you cannot see the OBC display without a switch/stalk so that you can switch to the next display.

For a 1999 you can have the outside temp display turned on with a PST2/PIWIS. No retrofit is needed as the OBC display is not shared.

The exceptions are some early 1997s that did not have the outside temp sensor installed. Other exceptions are cars that do not have a/c, which are cars outside of North America.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #8

If you can see the outside temp then the OBC is turned on.

Porsche sells dash switches. Most people who do the OBC retrofit with a switch use the footwell switch.

You also need to make a wiring harness from the switch to the instrument cluster connector. That is this picture.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #9

I have a 2000 without OBC/Trip computer.

HOWEVER, when my tech was clearing codes from a MAF failure, he activated the Outside temperature control which must be "prewired" in all cars, whether or not it gets activated is the issue. So now, when I look at the digital speed, right below it is my outside temp.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #10

Takes a few minutes with a PST2/PIWIS.

Go into the instrument cluster and change the coding to with OBC. The default display you then see is the outside air temp. This is for 1997-2000.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #11

thanks for the info. I was mistakenly thinking that my 02 could have the temp easily turned on. I will ask my tech about creating a switch as well.
eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #12

I have a 2000 base, I see the outside temperature with a + beside it. So I'm guessing if I have the OBC turned on I would have a extra stock. So if I want to change the display I need to add a switch?

Thanks
Nick

SinnerDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote