Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #1

Potential Buying: Questions

Hi guys,

I currently own an Evo X, and thinking of selling it for financial stability. I've been looking into the 986 Boxsters, and am pretty sure I will be going that route. I have a few questions aside from the usual IMSB, AOS, RMS stuff.

1) Are there any softwares available to tune the stock ECU? Not looking for chips/piggybacks/flashes. I want to know if I'm able to flash it myself, if so, what's the best software. If not I will be going to M880.

2) I will be boosting it later down the road, with an EFR turbo, so I will be making a custom setup. Something that will follow either IMA Motorwerks TT setup or TPC. What is the usual TQ limit for these engines, stock? I know some people will say there is none, but just give me a range of similar numbers on blown engines due to normal overload of an engine and not IMS or something else. Something like sleeves cracking, rods bending/snapping, piston chips.

3) In terms of engine builds, I see LN has some sleeves available. Now is this $4600 price just for sleeve install or a whole build as well? I wouldn't ever use JE Pistons, would CP or Wiseco have any options to work with their sleeves?

Also does anyone know of Carillo H-Beams working on this platform? Any aftermarket crankshafts or is OEM the best?

4) Fuel upgrades requirement. I will be running e85 pretty much 100% year round. My goal is 350-400rwhp, so basically about 550rwhp on pump gas. Can the stock injectors/pump handle this?

5) Suspension; how much do the GT3 arms improve suspension geometry.

6) Finally, with all the upgrades I will be doing, would it matter if I chose a '01 Boxster vs '04 Boxster S. '01 Boxster I can find for $11k vs $20k for the '04 Boxster S. Has anyone bored the 2.7L out to a 3.2L, is it possible or is it a totally different design?

Also 5MT or 6MT. I know the ratios are different but any strength differences?

Thanks guys, if I don't win the lottery, you'll probably see me with a new car post soon. Lol

xfonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

3) The LN price you quote is for case halves that have been sleeved (you send yours in), and comes with the JE pistons and rings. LN had something like a 10 week lead time when I asked, so you need to account for in your build. Yes there are Carillo rods available.

The 6MT is known to be quite durable.

As for the rest of the questions, just keep researching. A few years ago I used to own a turbo Subaru so I enjoyed being able to flash my own ECU. I don't know of anyone doing that for the Porsche. With the Subaru it was possible to get freakish power by using E85 (LOTS of it) which as you understand, was beyond the capacity of the injectors.

I've been hanging out here for about a year and the short version is, no one is doing that stuff to this car.

You'd be money ahead to just buy a 996TT, but it's your wallet.

flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote