Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

About to purchase my first Porsche

Hello all. I am just about to close the deal on a 2000 Boxster S. I've been trying to educate myself and this forum and other Internet resources have proven invaluable. Thanks for providing it.

I did want to ask for some collective advice and opinions. I've read quite a bit about IMS bearing failures and various other things. The car I am planning to pick up has approximately 58,000 miles on it and looks like it was about to have said failure. It appears to have been caught in time and the following service work was performed on it in mid-June of this year:

VEHICLE TOWED IN - WON'T START.
VEHICLE VERY OILY AROUND THE TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE BELL HOUSING.
VEHICLE STARTS SOMETlMES AND IT SOUNDS OK. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON.
SCAN VEHlCLE FOR CODES P0107 AMBIENT PRESSURE SENSOR BELOW LIMlT, P0102 MASS AlR FLOW SENSOR BELOW LIMIT, LAGS ON THROTTLE AND HESITATES THEN PICKS UP.
VEHICLE NEEDS MAF SENSOR. REPLACED MAF SENSOR. IGNITION SWITCH lS BAD (ELECTRICAL PORTION) - REPLACE IGNITION SWITCH. CODE B1S1 NEEDS OXYGEN SENSOR – REPLACE OXYGEN SENSOR
REMOVED OIL FILTER AND CUT APART. FOUND SOME PIECES OF IMS BEARING MATERIAL AND A FAIR AMOUNT OF LITTLE PIECES OF BLACK PLASTIC. POSSIBLY FROM SEAL AND OR FROM CHAIN RAMPS. LOTS OF PLASTIC PIECES FROM SPARK PLUG TUBES AND SOME FROM THE T-CHAIN RAMPS AND BEARING MATERIAL FROM THE IMS BEARING. PERFORM LUBE OIL AND FILTER, REPLACE IMS BEARING, CAM CLOSURE CAPS, IMS SEAL ALONG WITH SEALER.

The above incurred labor of about $1450 and the following parts were used:

MAF sensor $226.34
DME / ECU $1095
IGN switch $38.32
5W40 syn oil (9.5 quarts) $74.58
IMS seal $13.43
CAM closure caps (3) $22.44
RMS $15.44
IMS bearing kit (LN Engineering) $690
Sealer $10.50
Oxygen sensor $182

This all totaled just about $3900. I have no real clue what all of the above truly means. I'm not a car nut in terms of working on them but I do enjoy driving them.

From a lot of what I have read, this seems like it took care of some of the biggies (IMS, RMS, MAF).

Can you all think of anything else that my be a cause for concern?

Are there anything other things, not necessarily mechanical, that I should be sure to keep an eye out for?

I took a photo of the sticker under the front trunk hood to get the list of options that originally came with the car. It lists:

XMK Painted Roll Bar in Exterior Color
XRL 18-inch Sport Design Wheels
X46 Tiptronic Selector Lever Aluminum/Leather
X98 Handbrake Lever in Aluminum/Leather
222 Traction Control
224 Automatic Limited Slip Differential
236 18" Alloy Wheels
249 Tiptronic S Transmission
288 Headlight Washers
424 CD Shelf in Center Console
432 Multi-Funtion Steering Wheel, Touch, Feel
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
454 Cruise Control
490 Hi-Fi Sound Package
502 Valmet Production (Findland, Ulusikaupunki Built)
551 Wind Deflector & Storage Shelf over Engine
584 Storage Box above Engine
601 Litronic Xenon Headlights
659 Front Fog Lights (1979)
680 Bose Surround Sound System or Hi-Fi Audio System with Booster (Bose)
693 6-Disc CD/DVD Changer
981 Leather Equipment without Seat Covers
982 Soft-Look Leather Seats in Interior Color

I got the explanations from a huge list on a site called Pedro's Garage.

I hope I was able to read the pretty faded sticker correctly. I don't know why there are two different entries for 18" wheels (XRL and 236). I also thought the CD changer would be in the front trunk but did not see it. I'll be looking for it again when I go back to see the car later this week.

I also recently found out there should be a tool kit of some kind. Wasn't sure where that should be but it looks like it should be with or near the spare tire which I did see in the front trunk.

The car does come with a complete-looking set of owner's manual stuff in a black case. I did download a copy of the users manual in PDF format so I can keep on my iPad as I do with pretty every manual I can find for stuff I own.

The wheels (well one in particular) had a major argument with a curb, or curbs. It is all scratched up and had some major paint flaking off. Any pointers to good wheel refurbishers (I'm on the east coast) or "cheap" sources for a possible replacement? I like the wheel design but I will probably need need center caps all around since the ones on there now seem all faded. Not sure if they can be cleaned up or not.

I know that this is a ton of stuff that I am asking, and I expect that I will be returning with more questions as I learn. I hope that over time I can gain enough knowledge to be able to share back.

Thanks for any and all replies.

A.

Last edited by akwarner; 07-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
akwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
I could be wrong, While it did have the IMS replaced, from what I have read, IIRC if there were metal bits in the oil, it needs to be completely rebuilt as the little bits went everywhere.
sounds like there where lots of bits of stuff in the oil and therefore all inside the engine

It could be a ticking time bomb

I believe Mr Raby will not do an IMS replacement in an engine that shows metal bits in the oil unless the engine is completely broken down and cleaned

other than that it looks like a nice car
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply JayG. I thought about that as well. However I have read that finding bits and pieces in the oil filter is a sign of "impending doom". It is one of the signs to look for that indicate you are on your way to having a serious problem. At this point, I think the filter did its job and caught what was getting through from the pending failure. If it had fully failed, that is when I think the catastrophic failures happen and when all the gunk gets sucked up into the engine necessitating a full replacement or rebuild. I hope some more folks weigh in. Should I walk away from this car or does it appear the issue was caught in time?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
check out this thread
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/53336-severe-chain-guide-debris-oil-change.html
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

This Porsche stuff is beginning to get out of hand. I love the way it drives and have long been a fan of German "feel" in automobiles. Owned several BMWs in the past. Should I just give up on owning one of these that I can "afford".

I just got a call about a 911 I'd also been looking at. It is a 2002 Tiptronic Carrera with 91K miles on it. The salesperson tells me that the service advisor at the Porsche dealership they deal with has told him the IMS is not an issue on this car. Porsche had some issues with some cars but that they typically failed in the first 25k miles so this one is fine. They want $19,000 for it. I'm thinking if I even considered it, I'd still need to budget for an IMS update of some sort so still another $2k or so above that.

That stretches my budget quite a bit past where I wanted it to be.

Arrrggggg.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
don't give up.
Personally, I would look for one that has good service records and has not shown signs of IMS problems. If it has had the IMS replaced , its a plus if it was done before showing signs of impeding failure. I don't lose sleep over the fact mine is original @ 62k miles. Mine had complete service records and was regularly and properly maintained.

Take your time, find one you like at a price you can afford.
Have fun and drive the crap out of it
Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
don't give up.
Personally, I would look for one that has good service records and has not shown signs of IMS problems. If it has had the IMS replaced , its a plus if it was done before showing signs of impeding failure. I don't lose sleep over the fact mine is original @ 62k miles. Mine had complete service records and was regularly and properly maintained.

Take your time, find one you like at a price you can afford.
Have fun and drive the crap out of it
Seriously, get a good PPI done and go with it. I haven't had mine long, but it's got 140,000kms on it with the original IMS and I'm not worried. Just do regular oil changes and keep an eye on things. The Porsche is an absolute beauty to drive.
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #8

The search has ended. Yesterday I picked up a 2003 Boxster Base with 38k miles. Actually ended up finding one less than 20 miles from my house. It is now parked in my garage. Thanks for all the various pointers and guidance. This one has not had any IMS solution installed so that it up first. I drove it home but the next time it moves will be to drive over to the shop I select to do the work.

It is in great shape. It was owned by a lady whose husband is a mechanic and who did most of the maintenance on it. It looks to be in great shape inside and out. Just PA inspected with four brand new Michelins on it. New brakes up front. Everything works as it is supposed to. I am quite pleased.

Again thanks for all the input.

A.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #9

Nice! Love the silver

Still amazes me how many low millage boxes are still out there. Does no one like to drive these things???
Old 08-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
DonM

I too just bought my first ever Porsche... 2002 Boxster S
My "new" '02 Boxster S

I wasn't really planning on buying a new car as I was pretty happy with my fairly tricked out PT Cruiser GT Turbo, but a local lot had my new car sitting out front for a week or two and every time I drove by, I could just hear it crying out... come and drive me

Finally, I did... and bought it the next day!!

There is absolutely NO comparison between the PTC's 235 (turbo) hp and the Boxter's 250 (real German) hp.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #11

Very cool. Enjoy the heck out of it.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
My "new" '02 Boxster S

I wasn't really planning on buying a new car as I was pretty happy with my fairly tricked out PT Cruiser GT Turbo, but a local lot had my new car sitting out front for a week or two and every time I drove by, I could just hear it crying out... come and drive me

There is absolutely NO comparison between the PTC's 235 (turbo) hp and the Boxter's 250 (real German) hp.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
My "new" '02 Boxster S

the Boxster is a hell of a lot safer as well
Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #13

She's gorgeous! Looks like a great find. Many years of driving enjoyment ahead!
tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #14

Quote:
My "new" '02 Boxster S

I didn't know the words Happy and PT Cruiser could be spoken in the same sentance!
Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #15

Garage
Very nice

Akwarner,

Very nice Boxster. Best of luck with it.

If by chance you are looking for a simple
And cheep upgrade consider upgrading.
The front side marker lenses to clear/gray.
ECS Tuning as a great kit for this upgrade.
Makes a world of difference in the looks dept.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #16

Thanks Jinx.

This is exactly what I was thinking about. Seems weird that Porsche got rid of the orange in the head lights and the tail lights but left the side markers the original orange. I just look at the kit your recommended and it is under $60 so that is probably the way I will go. Thanks for the pointer.

Also on my list is replacing the head unit with something that has an iPod or aux interface at minimum and probably Bluetooth as well. Any advice or pointers in that area?

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Akwarner,

Very nice Boxster. Best of luck with it.

If by chance you are looking for a simple
And cheep upgrade consider upgrading.
The front side marker lenses to clear/gray.
ECS Tuning as a great kit for this upgrade.
Makes a world of difference in the looks dept.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #17

I just ordered this. Looks pretty simple - just plugs into the back of the stock radio and voila! Ipod and Iphone ready. Charges. And lets you keep the original radio, which I personally like.

iL-BKR Lightning Adapter for Becker Radios with "AUX" Menu Setting :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

But do a forum search - there are a ton of Radio and bluetooth threads on here with all sorts of ideas.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #18

Thanks. I'll check it out.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
I just ordered this. Looks pretty simple - just plugs into the back of the stock radio and voila! Ipod and Iphone ready. Charges. And lets you keep the original radio, which I personally like.

iL-BKR Lightning Adapter for Becker Radios with "AUX" Menu Setting :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

But do a forum search - there are a ton of Radio and bluetooth threads on here with all sorts of ideas.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #19

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwarner View Post
Hello all. I am just about to close the deal on a 2000 Boxster S. I've been trying to educate myself and this forum and other Internet resources have proven invaluable. Thanks for providing it.

I did want to ask for some collective advice and opinions. I've read quite a bit about IMS bearing failures and various other things. The car I am planning to pick up has approximately 58,000 miles on it and looks like it was about to have said failure. It appears to have been caught in time and the following service work was performed on it in mid-June of this year:

VEHICLE TOWED IN - WON'T START.
VEHICLE VERY OILY AROUND THE TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE BELL HOUSING.
VEHICLE STARTS SOMETlMES AND IT SOUNDS OK. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON.
SCAN VEHlCLE FOR CODES P0107 AMBIENT PRESSURE SENSOR BELOW LIMlT, P0102 MASS AlR FLOW SENSOR BELOW LIMIT, LAGS ON THROTTLE AND HESITATES THEN PICKS UP.
VEHICLE NEEDS MAF SENSOR. REPLACED MAF SENSOR. IGNITION SWITCH lS BAD (ELECTRICAL PORTION) - REPLACE IGNITION SWITCH. CODE B1S1 NEEDS OXYGEN SENSOR – REPLACE OXYGEN SENSOR
REMOVED OIL FILTER AND CUT APART. FOUND SOME PIECES OF IMS BEARING MATERIAL AND A FAIR AMOUNT OF LITTLE PIECES OF BLACK PLASTIC. POSSIBLY FROM SEAL AND OR FROM CHAIN RAMPS. LOTS OF PLASTIC PIECES FROM SPARK PLUG TUBES AND SOME FROM THE T-CHAIN RAMPS AND BEARING MATERIAL FROM THE IMS BEARING. PERFORM LUBE OIL AND FILTER, REPLACE IMS BEARING, CAM CLOSURE CAPS, IMS SEAL ALONG WITH SEALER.

The above incurred labor of about $1450 and the following parts were used:

MAF sensor $226.34
DME / ECU $1095
IGN switch $38.32
5W40 syn oil (9.5 quarts) $74.58
IMS seal $13.43
CAM closure caps (3) $22.44
RMS $15.44
IMS bearing kit (LN Engineering) $690
Sealer $10.50
Oxygen sensor $182

This all totaled just about $3900. I have no real clue what all of the above truly means. I'm not a car nut in terms of working on them but I do enjoy driving them.

From a lot of what I have read, this seems like it took care of some of the biggies (IMS, RMS, MAF).

Can you all think of anything else that my be a cause for concern?

Are there anything other things, not necessarily mechanical, that I should be sure to keep an eye out for?

I took a photo of the sticker under the front trunk hood to get the list of options that originally came with the car. It lists:

XMK Painted Roll Bar in Exterior Color
XRL 18-inch Sport Design Wheels
X46 Tiptronic Selector Lever Aluminum/Leather
X98 Handbrake Lever in Aluminum/Leather
222 Traction Control
224 Automatic Limited Slip Differential
236 18" Alloy Wheels
249 Tiptronic S Transmission
288 Headlight Washers
424 CD Shelf in Center Console
432 Multi-Funtion Steering Wheel, Touch, Feel
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
454 Cruise Control
490 Hi-Fi Sound Package
502 Valmet Production (Findland, Ulusikaupunki Built)
551 Wind Deflector & Storage Shelf over Engine
584 Storage Box above Engine
601 Litronic Xenon Headlights
659 Front Fog Lights (1979)
680 Bose Surround Sound System or Hi-Fi Audio System with Booster (Bose)
693 6-Disc CD/DVD Changer
981 Leather Equipment without Seat Covers
982 Soft-Look Leather Seats in Interior Color

I got the explanations from a huge list on a site called Pedro's Garage.

I hope I was able to read the pretty faded sticker correctly. I don't know why there are two different entries for 18" wheels (XRL and 236). I also thought the CD changer would be in the front trunk but did not see it. I'll be looking for it again when I go back to see the car later this week.

I also recently found out there should be a tool kit of some kind. Wasn't sure where that should be but it looks like it should be with or near the spare tire which I did see in the front trunk.

The car does come with a complete-looking set of owner's manual stuff in a black case. I did download a copy of the users manual in PDF format so I can keep on my iPad as I do with pretty every manual I can find for stuff I own.

The wheels (well one in particular) had a major argument with a curb, or curbs. It is all scratched up and had some major paint flaking off. Any pointers to good wheel refurbishers (I'm on the east coast) or "cheap" sources for a possible replacement? I like the wheel design but I will probably need need center caps all around since the ones on there now seem all faded. Not sure if they can be cleaned up or not.

I know that this is a ton of stuff that I am asking, and I expect that I will be returning with more questions as I learn. I hope that over time I can gain enough knowledge to be able to share back.

Thanks for any and all replies.

A.

Welcome.

sophie18 is offline   Reply With Quote