Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #1

Hi

I've been lurking around this forum for a while, might as well register. I'm Chris and I live in Oslo, Norway. Recently bought a 1998 986, black w. terracotta interior i believe. Tiptronic.

She needs a little work and is far from perfect and is at 132000km. Her engine was switched after a complete failure some years ago, been driven little after that.

Here she is after I just put some wax on her:

nor986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Luckyed

Garage
Chris,

The car looks great for a 16 year old car.

Unique interior also.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #3

Garage
Another nice looking Black Boxster
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

dings and doodles

Well thanks, of course photos lie a little bit.

She's got some details I'm going to handle:

- New top. Back window cracked. Bought a new aftermarket one but am hesitating to change it, also seen complaints of it being one big job. Apart from the window the original top looks good, maybe I can look into getting it sown.

- Big tear in front drivers seat, i think it's sports-seats (It's got the shoulder rest wings) haven't found a matching alternative online in that color. Also some of the supporting material has been chunked out. The passengers seat is like new.

- Ding on the front bumper... someone backed into it a while ago.

- Swirls and clear coat scratches. fingerprint-sized surface rust spot behind the front wheel on the channel.

Apart from that she does seems pretty good for the age, love the handling.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Congrats on the new ride! I love the color combo! (Same as mine). Your interior color is called "Boxster Red". I think that everyone agrees that it is much more of a terra cotta color than it is a red but the folks in Stuttgart say it's red. Enjoy the ride!
doctorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorm3 View Post
Congrats on the new ride! I love the color combo! (Same as mine). Your interior color is called "Boxster Red". I think that everyone agrees that it is much more of a terra cotta color than it is a red but the folks in Stuttgart say it's red. Enjoy the ride!
I'm looking for new seat upholstery as it got some serious wear on the drivers-side. There seems to be some confusion (or just me) about boxster red beeing a different colour than terracotta. Does there exist a stronger red interiour color?

Ref. google boxster red vs. terracotta
Also I have seen the two as an option in some aftermarked upholestery dealers.

Can it be that terracotta is the 996 color? (not called boxster red) but same color?
Old 09-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #7
Aussie Boxster

Hi everyone.

I've had my 2003, 80,000 km Boxster S for a whole week now. I dropped my motorbike on my foot and broke it (the foot!) in four places. I've had an attack of common sense and realise that bikes are now beyond my aging and dilapidated body to manage.

So. Sold the bike, but still needed a vehicle with some serious grin factor, and being a Porsche tragic for the last 50+ years, bought the Boxster. I live just outside Canberra, in Australia. Found my car on the 'net at a dealer in Canberra and forked out just under $30,000 for it. She seems in good nick and will have to live outside in Canberra's cool climate (for Australia).

I'm looking for the best value (I'm a prison chaplain, so very little money to spend - the inmates think the Porsche is a very cool choice!) in an effective outdoor car cover.

I hope this is how forums works. I have no experience with them. But very happy to be here.
Simon Wooldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wooldridge View Post
Hi everyone.

I've had my 2003, 80,000 km Boxster S for a whole week now. I dropped my motorbike on my foot and broke it (the foot!) in four places. I've had an attack of common sense and realise that bikes are now beyond my aging and dilapidated body to manage.
Ouch!!! congratulations on the new Boxster. I hope you enjoy the boxster. Do you have any Photos.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 11-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #9

Hi there welcome.
sophie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #10

Hello from Maine

Hello, I just purchased a 2000 Boxter S , Ocean blue metallic over Savanna leather. 1 owner with 100K full service records, new clutch, IMS bearing and many other new parts. Had car checked out by independent Porsche garage with clean bilk of health except some concern over vario valve timing actuator (not sure of correct name) out of spec on one side. Can anyone shed some light on this?
I am looking forward to enjoying my new ride and this forum.
Ptriggiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptriggiani View Post
Hello, I just purchased a 2000 Boxter S , Ocean blue metallic over Savanna leather. 1 owner with 100K full service records, new clutch, IMS bearing and many other new parts. Had car checked out by independent Porsche garage with clean bilk of health except some concern over vario valve timing actuator (not sure of correct name) out of spec on one side. Can anyone shed some light on this?
I am looking forward to enjoying my new ride and this forum.
Hey Welcome to the forum The car looks nice. Are you getting any cam timing errors?

There could be some play (Wear) in the chain guides on the vario-cam adjuster shoes. The adjuster on the 2000 is a elector-mechanical solenoid inside the cam chain in each head with 2 hard nylon parts (shoes) that pushes the chain offsetting them as the cam timing is changed. They are known wear parts.

OR, The Chain tensioner could be going soft on that side. Or you cold have worn chain ramps the tensioner push against.

Last edited by jsceash; 11-08-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #12

Hi, thanks for your response to my question. There were no codes other than a P1117 code for a weak O2 sensor heater. This was picked up during a complete going over by a local shop. They said the deviation readings were 5.5 on one side and 8.2 on the other. The car runs strong and idles smoothly. He did not have a chance to work up a quote for the repair , will be sending me an estimate in a few days. He tells me it is necessary to remove the cams to replace the part. What are the pros and cons regarding this issue. I bought the car right and expected to dump some money into it , but if this is not necessary I can wait for a code.

Ptriggiani is offline   Reply With Quote