Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 03:20 AM   #1

If I needed a Jumpstart...

...What would I do?
Where is the access to the battery?
I have cables that I keep in my car, are they worth it?

Bought it 12/2006, so far I got a Magellean and an air freshener...for now...
MrBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
The battery is located in the front trunk area under a plastic cover behind the radio amp. It doesn't do much good for you to keep the jumper cables in the trunk because you need electric power to open the trunks, and if the battery is dead, then there's no point. However, there are workarounds.
1. There is a metal wire pull hidden behind the pass. side wheel well. You have to take the wheel well out to reach it though. Yank on that wire, and the front trunk will pop open.
2. On 01+ models, there is a connection point in the fuse box that you can connect an electric charge to that will pop the trunk.
3. You can attach a trickle charger to the cigarette lighter and wait until there is enough power in the battery to pop the trunk
4. You can buy one of those jump starters that work by connecting one end to another car's cigarette lighter, and the other end to your cigarette lighter. This is a very clean option, as you don't need to ask the owner of the other car to attach any wires to their battery, and you also don't need to open your trunk to get to the battery. I have one of these jumpers that I just keep in my speaker storage box that is behind seats. It's only like $20 dollars.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:13 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
value city has one of those chargers that you plug into your cig lighters and let charge for a few mins for $6
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
value city has one of those chargers that you plug into your cig lighters and let charge for a few mins for $6
Where???

Sounds like a more compact alternative to jumper cables...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #5

Hi,

Jumper Cables in SC? I thought that was only part of the Yankee Roadside Troubleshooting kit...

Seriously, they are most likely to be just extra weight. Check your Owners Manual, there is a very definite (and somewhat non-standard) procedure for jumping one of these cars. Failure to observe this could fry something expensive.

If my car were later, with the electrically operated hatches, I'd probably rig a 9-volt battery terminal to a Cigarette Lighter Plug (available through Radio Shack and such - observe proper polarity) and keep it, and a fresh 9-volt battery in the car. This would give sufficient power (Ignition OFF, key OUT) to pop open the lids to get a jump. Most likely the battery would be exhausted with a single use due to it's small capacity, but, it would work.

Other then that, if your car is a manual, you can always go with the Tried & True method of pushing it and popping the clutch in gear. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:40 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i have a manual and non-electric latches, so either push it or just simply open the hood
i do have cables in ther jus in any case
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 AM   #7

better get me one of those cig. lighter chargers. My hatches wouldn't open last weekend, then I pulled the gas lid rip cord right off the car...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
boggtown

DJ, your hood is still electric, the handles lock when theres no juice. I rigged my release cable by taping it to the underside of my passenger side headlight triangle. Since my new bumper has no license plate or tow holes I needed a way to get to it in emergency.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Boggtown is correct, DJ...your manual levers will not work if the battery is out of juice.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Boggtown is correct, DJ...your manual levers will not work if the battery is out of juice.
Hi,

True, but if you use the 9-volt jumper I described, you can use the Lock/Unlock Tip Switch to open them. These are available from several Auto Parts Retailers and usually go by the name Memory Savers. Usually under $12. See: http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_CAT439_pg3.htm
Hope this helps...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-11-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

True, but if you use the 9-volt jumper I described, you can use the Lock/Unlock Tip Switch to open them. These are available from several Auto Parts Retailers and usually go by the name Memory Savers. Usually under $12. See: http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_CAT439_pg3.htm
Hope this helps...

Thx. Great suggestion and product. It would have been a good idea to have one of these plugged in before I took my battery out for the winter -- to keep all electronics and memory functions in operating condition for the spring.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
For me, it's easier to just carry the car-to-car cigarette lighter jumper. No need to carry an extra 9-volt battery in the car and periodically insure that it is charged enough to be of use during an emergency.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #13

I didnt drive my car for two months over the holidays while at the same time it was super cold here and the combination of the two caused my battery to die. I tried using a trickle charger to get some juice but the charger decieded that the car was too much load with a totally dead battery and did help at all. It just kept going to "Fault" mode. Onto Plan B. So don’t be shocked if nothing happens with the trickle charger.

I opened the fuse panel to see if my car had the lead in there like people kept mentioning on this board (it’s a '02) and low and behold a little manual fell out with instructions on how to open the hood when the battery dies. I started laughing. Fortunately for me I have two cars so I hooked up the battery from my other car (as the instructions indicated me to do) and my car sprang back to life with horns and lights flashing from the alarm. I popped the trunk and hooked up my "serious" battery charger to the batter and nothing. Battery was dead dead dead and wouldn’t take a charge. I tried jumping off my other car with no luck either. My local AutoZone had a replacement in stock (the guy said they usually only have one in stock if any and only sell a couple a year). I used the new battery to pop the trunk again (I let it close by accident the first time) and swapped out the old one.

A bit of a pain, but long story short if you have a second battery, hooking up to the lead in the fuse panel is really simple.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by QporscheQ
I didnt drive my car for two months over the holidays while at the same time it was super cold here and the combination of the two caused my battery to die...
Hi,

Many don't realze that a Battery can become useless if discharged. A discharged Battery can freeze in as warm as +20°F.

In addition, whether frozen, partially frozen or merely discharged, a battery always suffers some internal damage. It will never be as good again once it's been discharged, the extent of the damage (from dispositioned plates, to cystallized plates, broken leads and improper electrolyte solution, depending on numerous factors). The SAE released a paper last year stating that on average, a car (Wet Cell) battery loses it's ability to acquire and hold a charge by 15% each time it is discharged.

But, it's also important how you charge a Battery which it becomes discharged. Charging at a high amperage rate will damage the Battery, perhaps rendering it useless. This means that Jumping the Battery from a donor Car with a 120Amp Alternator is a bad thing. It's best to Jump it strictly from the other car's Battery with the donor car OFF. You want to re-charge it at the lowest Amperage available, which usually means a Trickle Charger of no more than 1.5 Amps. The issue you experienced is common. Had you left it on the Trickle Charger, it would most likely have started charging it in a hour or so, despite the warnings you received, unless of course the Battery had been damaged which is quite likely. The downside, is that a Full charge with a low-amperage charger, can take as long as 25 Hrs. People seldom realize that a Battery requires proper care and maintenance to give a long service life...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-11-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
For me, it's easier to just carry the car-to-car cigarette lighter jumper. No need to carry an extra 9-volt battery in the car and periodically insure that it is charged enough to be of use during an emergency.
Hi,

Whatever works...

Old 01-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #16

Route the emergency pull cable from the wheelwell to your tow hook cover on the front bumper. This give you a good reason to take off the front bumper and clean out your radiators. Actually pretty easy to do! While doing so reroute the cable. It has saved me once or twice in the last 3 years!
Old 01-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #17

Smile

BTW- the whole "my trunk is locked and I can't get at my battery to jump it" thing is the most assine feature of the Boxster. Great car, what they hell were they thinking?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #18

Considering all the electronics you might fry with a jump, I'd def bump start it.

That's one of the first lessons I taught my kids, how to bump it forward and in reverse!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Hope this helps...

Jim, I assume that this 9 V memory saver can not be used to actually jump start the car, so one would need to have jumper cables on board, anyway. Looks like Boxtaboy's (lighter-to-lighter) solution solves both opening of the trunk and jump starting. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

Boxtaboy, how's that product called -- for an online search?

I don't have the manual handy to check on the proper jump start procedure for the Box. How is it different from the standard jump start?

Thx.
Z.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #20
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Yes, I agree... I think the cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter jumper is a simpler solution to the 9V suggestion, but how much do you want to bet that Jim steps in and comes back with a spirited counter? LOL JK

In any case, here's a link to where I bought mine. No affiliation. Description tells you how it works. Basically, you just connect one end to the cigarette lighter to the doner car and then one to your car. There's a light that tells you when it's ready to perform the jump start (usually a 5 minute wait) and then you can start your car. Good thing is that you don't have to carry jumper cables, you don't need to pop any car's hoods (some people may not want you to put jumper cables to their car's battery and possibly connect a cable the wrong way and mess up their car), you don't need to touch your battery either, and you don't have to carry around an extra 9V around and make sure it's fully charged for when you need it. I can't see any easier solution. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Auto-Jump-Starter-Uses-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63687QQihZ013QQi temZ230079066287QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW