Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Route the emergency pull cable from the wheelwell to your tow hook cover on the front bumper. This give you a good reason to take off the front bumper and clean out your radiators. Actually pretty easy to do! While doing so reroute the cable. It has saved me once or twice in the last 3 years!
I've seen this written up before. How does it impact the ability to install the tow hook? The Boxster isn't the only porsche with this issue. If you get ice on the cable and it freezes up, you can get locked out of a 911, 914 or 356 trunk. And, in the early 356's and 914s, that means you can't get gas into the car

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Jim, I assume that this 9 V memory saver can not be used to actually jump start the car, so one would need to have jumper cables on board, anyway. Looks like Boxtaboy's (lighter-to-lighter) solution solves both opening of the trunk and jump starting. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

Boxtaboy, how's that product called -- for an online search?

I don't have the manual handy to check on the proper jump start procedure for the Box. How is it different from the standard jump start?

Thx.
Z.
Hi,

You're quite right, this jumper will not start the car. But, it will alllow one to open the Hood/Trunk or the release levers (on the earlier cars). The Battery probably would function for a few cycles before being exhausted, and all other accessories should be OFF when using it, including a Hazard Flasher or other lights.

But, it is beneficial, especially for those people who's Battery runs down in the Garage from non-use (or any type of failure), so they can access the Battery and place a charger on it.

The downside of the cigarrette lighter booster is that you need access to an AC outlet to hook up the charger. And these chargers are low-amperage, so charging the Battery with these is time-consuming. Using the Cig lighter-to-Cig Lighter is also a good alternative.

So far as Jumping procedure is concerned, the main difference is that Porsche states that the donor car should not be running, only use the juice in the donor car's battery and not the supply from the Alternator. I assume they have the protection of the micro-electronics in mind with this caveat. Using only the donor car's Battery, will also take more time than jumping from a running car. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

@Boxstaboy - don't try to stir the pot! Keep it on point please.

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-17-2007 at 07:07 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 AM   #23

i picked one up too ... My question will this work on like say a mercedes truck or any suv for that matter. The reason I ask this question is i know with thin jumper cables it won't jump start a mercedes truck since I have tried.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #24
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

@Boxstaboy - don't try to stir the pot! Keep it on point please.
@MNBoxster. My comment was on point, in that simply, my offered solution made more sense than yours. Apparently, someone else agreed. I think that was pretty on point, no? Not stirring the pot, just making my point. If you don't agree, that's fine. It just kills you that someone might have a better suggestion on something than you, can you?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
@MNBoxster. My comment was on point, in that simply, my offered solution made more sense than yours. Apparently, someone else agreed. I think that was pretty on point, no? Not stirring the pot, just making my point. If you don't agree, that's fine. It just kills you that someone might have a better suggestion on something than you, can you?

Hey,

No prob. dude. I even stated that yours was a "good alternative". The Memory Saver is probably most beneficial to those who come out to the garage and find the Battery dead. Using the Memory Saver allows them access to the Battery to get it on a charger. It might be impossible/less convenient to try and run a jumper cable of any kind in that space, or to use it to fully charge the Battery as opposed to merely starting the car.

My only exception was your statement "but how much do you want to bet that Jim steps in and comes back with a spirited counter? " and jabs like "It just kills you that someone might have a better suggestion on something than you, can you? "

Firstly, I didn't, second, I don't think that's very constructive. That's all...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-18-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #26
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hey,

No prob. dude. I even stated that yours was a "good alternative". The Memory Saver is probably most beneficial to those who come out to the garage and find the Battery dead. Using the Memory Saver allows them access to the Battery to get it on a charger. It might be impossible/less convenient to try and run a jumper cable of any kind in that space, or to use it to fully charge the Battery as opposed to merely starting the car.

My only exception was your statement "but how much do you want to bet that Jim steps in and comes back with a spirited counter? " and jabs like "It just kills you that someone might have a better suggestion on something than you, can you? "

Firstly, I didn't, second, I don't think that's very constructive. That's all...

No sweat Jim. Sorry bout the jabs. I know we're both just trying to help.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
No sweat Jim. Sorry bout the jabs. I know we're both just trying to help.
Hi,

It's all good!