Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #21

Garage
I'm always a bit reluctant to say I have a Porsche because then you have to follow it up with a Boxster. You are doing the mid-life crisis, I was.
You buy to drive. The other stuff surrounding it is there but in the end driving it is pretty satisfying.
Why not think about a 996? Then you'll deal with all the clouds that surround them.

As mentioned be sure you know what your getting into

Old 04-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #22

I would be hesitant to recommmend a 13+ year old sports car to anyone who has to park it on the street. Add to the fact it is a convertible and the street is in Chicago? Probably not the best idea. If you had a place to work on it and store it in the winter maybe.
JavPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #23
Certified Boxster Addict

Wow. It seems that you have a lot of thoughts going thru your head.

I wouldn't buy any cars or hang out with any young women until you sort out some things and get some perspective.

I think you need to decide who you want to be when you grow up. When you figure that out, you'll know what car to buy.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with this: I believe that you make your own reality. If all you see is an old guy clinging to his youth, then that is what everyone else will see.

When I bought my first Boxster at age 50, I saw myself as a sports car driver. And 6 years later, everyone else sees me as a sports car driver.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-19-2017 at 08:02 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #24
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post

Steve, that's me explaining my entire existence to my wife. I couldn't stop laughing!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 AM   #25

Without sounding harsh but if you feel you need to justify it then you're starting off wrong in the first place.
What's wrong with wanting something that's just fun? I don't have children to lug around so in that respect i consider myself lucky in the choices i can make. What i'm saying here is that if this is something you've desired for a while, you have the means to back it up then go for it. Trust me on this one as well, once the other half gets in it she'll love it as well.

The only thing is i would look for a garage for it definitely and plan to drive it more often than you think. These cars like to be driven and driven hard at time, they're made for it so plan to do it. The worst thing you could do is buy one and just not use it.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #26

I've had sports cars on and off all my car-owning life, went through a personal financial crisis some years back and drove beaters while recovering and getting three kids through college and was just rolling along and driving "decent but not fun" cars. Then we got a phone call that a long-time friend was in the emergency room. We went to see her and knew she was never going to come out alive.

At age 74, I felt that it was time to finally again have a car I could enjoy. Bought a pristine 2000 S with very low miles. That was three years ago and, living near Chicago, need to store it Nov - April. Just got it out two weeks ago and am enjoying every moment - driving it, washing it, gazing at it.

Yes, I've been acccused of having a mid-life crisis but I just laugh and say something about enjoying my golden years with a grin, knowing that those who don't have the guts to enjoy themselves deserve to drive what they drive. The wife, who isn't a car person, asks to put the top down!

Hope to keep driving it for a long time and don't give a darn what anyone else says.

Good luck with your decision
Larry (The Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #27

Garage
I'm in your age bracket. If you can afford it and your significant other is on board, what are you waiting for? If you buy it and decide it's not for you, sell it and move along. At least you will know. And if you like it, there are plenty of places to store them for the winter.
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #28

Tell the wife that you're considering another motorcycle; let her talk you down to the Boxster.

Life is short! Drive a sports car!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #29

Be careful. I always wanted a Porsche. One day I decided I'd buy just one. I liked it. A few months later, another opportunity came up and I got another one. A few months later....umm...well the list of cars below is currently accurate as of this moment. I have a feeling in a few months, I'll have to tack a few more on.

In all honesty, both of my 986s are probably more fun to drive than the rest of cars I have. That includes the 997. Not as much power...but the car just feels a bit more nimble and planted than the 997. You can snag a good 986 for about $10K, give or take a few thousand depending on condition. That's half the price of a Camry and twice as much fun to drive. If you don't like it, you can sell it for not that much less than you paid for it.

As a word of advice, if you put back $2K-$3K for possible future repair expenses, it'll make owning it more pleasant. Generally you won't need to drop that kind of money, but at least you won't worry about replacing a clutch if it's needed.
Porsche: 1997 986, 2001 986S, 1968 911L, 1968 911S, 2005 911, 1984 928, 2008 Cayenne S.

Last edited by Rotmilky; 04-20-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Rotmilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #30

You obviously want one. You've been thinking about it.

Forget all the cliche stuff. Forget about what other people will think (do you even CARE what those people think? If so, WHY?)

Stop obsessing like a millenial.

Like the old Nike ads used to say "just do it".
Old 04-21-2017, 03:12 AM   #31

If it fits in the budget go for it.

I gave up motorcycles when my 1st kid was on the way. I also sold my Fiat 124 Spider because it didn't make sense to have three cars and we were saving up for a house. 22 years later the kids are independent and I've gone through 6 motorcycles and a Miata on my way to the Boxster. The Boxster by far has been the most rewarding. We've got three cars, a commuter for both me and the wife and the Boxster. I put more miles on the Boxster in the summer months than the other two combined (7000 the 1st year.)

I say if you can afford it, and will drive it, buy it but be aware maintenance is not cheap if you can't do it yourself.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #32

Garage
You first need to think about cars in a different way... think of it not as a car, but as a HOBBY. Some people have sports as a hobby or collect things, or whatever. I think of my third car as a hobby and something I enjoy and not as something that gets me from A to B in a cheap, good on gas kind of way. haha If you don't spend money at bars, smoke, drugs, or any other vise than you can tell yourself this is OK because its fun and healthy!! Or better yet, just buy it because you can and want too.... no one should tell you WHY you should do something!

ENJOY ! Welcome to the club...
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #33

A) Do I want it?
B) Can I afford to buy it?
C) Can I afford to maintain it?

It's a fun toy that can serve as transportation. Nothing more. Nothing less.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #34

I would say you're the only one that can decide whether to buy one or not. Now is a good time of the year to buy one and if you decide not to keep it you can always sell it a few months from now. You could sell it while it's still summertime, but I doubt if you'll do that. I would definitely try to find a garage as you mentioned. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it parked on the street and your insurance would be less if garaged. Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #35

I won't be as kind as the others: Dude, what is wrong with you? You come on a Boxster forum to ask for advice whether you should buy a Boxster? Do you go ask a priest or a minister if you should go to church?

At 50, why do you care what others are going to think? Go back to your younger days listening to Billy Joel's "My Life". This isn't about "mid-life crisis"; it's about reaching a stage in life when you can afford to get the kind of sports car you dreamed of in your youth when you settled for a something less, and having a family situation where it isn't impractical to own it.

I remember at 16 looking at old farts (probably younger than I am now) driving Corvettes and Porsches and Jaguars, and thinking, "It is so unfair that somebody that old who can't possibly appreciate that cool car is driving one, while I'm stuck in this Renault Le Car my Dad owns." You don't mid-life crisis; you mid-life fulfill your dreams.

So stop asking us what we think, and do what YOU want to do.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:51 AM   #36

Garage
Go for it. You've earned it. I have a great recommendation for a local indie that works out of his shop at home in Homer Glen. He's worth the drive. Also several good indies in the downtown and northwest burbs. Life is too short man. Do it while you still can. If you do your research and wait for the car you want (DO a Ppi!) Then you will never regret owning one.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #37

Don't buy a Boxster. They suck. Get another minivan.

I'm sorry, that was sensible me that broke in.

Get what the heck you want. If you have buyers remorse, sell it and take your $1-2 K lump and be done with it.

This is not something you want to overthink...Live and enjoy.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #38

Do it.

I love driving mine.

heck, I love thinking about driving mine.

As long as its not a financial burden and the wife isn't opposed, mine didn't care .... now when we go out, if I don't go towards the 986, I get "Why aren't we taking the Porsche?

Yes its a midlife crisis, if I could afford my midlife crisis at 18, I would have bought a Porsche back then.

My next vehicle will replace my pickup that I use off road, it will be a Raptor in the fall. Why? because life is short and it is not a financial burden.

You have to live your dreams at some point or why dream?
Frank N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #39

Look at getting a Porsche as an investment......not in money, but as an investment in enjoyment. Just think to yourself that the worst that can happen is that you will learn something about yourself.......
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #40
Track rat

Garage
Life is short. Drive the Porsche, eat the cake.