Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #21
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You said:

the new immobilizer and two key transponders (I will reuse the two cut keys that were with the car) I just ordered will not be here until early next week.

Did you also order a matching DME? If not you will need at least the codes for the existing DME and the new immobilizer plus at least a PST-2.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #22
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I'd recommend taking the carpet out and letting it air dry out of direct sunlight for a week. That's the only way I've had luck drying carpet out.

Check your drain holes also because 90% of all flood damaged boxsters are caused by clogged drain holes or a hole in the top/window.

I have pulled the seats and have wedged ice cream buckets under the carpet where the hole under the seats are. I have also pried the carpet on the firewall back and have now my wife's and two daughters' hair dryers blowing under it all. It is getting much better. I am happy with it as I can tell it is getting better but my wife is not pleased.

As far as the source of the water damage, the back drains were clogged with debris, leaves, etc., and I also found the glass back window had come unlaminated from the convertible top in a three inch long section on the bottom edge of the window. I pulled the engine cover carpet and it was also wet and the foam storing a ton of water. It is now drying in my house.

I re-siliconed the window/top bottom edge and have it clamped together to fix the window leak and have cleaned out the drains.

I am confident I have the water entry issues taken care of.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #23
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
How high up was the water line?

Did any get into the engine?
B6T, see my previous post. There is no water line witness that I can see anywhere. I believe it came in from the drains/ rear window.

I did check the oil though and it looks good.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #24
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You said:

the new immobilizer and two key transponders (I will reuse the two cut keys that were with the car) I just ordered will not be here until early next week.

Did you also order a matching DME? If not you will need at least the codes for the existing DME and the new immobilizer plus at least a PST-2.
I made an appointment for Wednesday with the local dealership to program the new immobilizer and key transponders. As far as the DME, I believe codes are based on the car vin and when programming a new immobilizer the service rep has to acknowledge the vin code is correct. At that point the immobilizer is "locked" to that vin code and cannot be reprogrammed.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #25
Pathological Tinkerer

I found some maintenance and registration records in the car today while looking over it to make my upgrade/repair plan.

RMS, clutch, and flywheel were replaced 6k miles ago. No indication of IMS.
Trans driveshaft boots replaced around the same date.

When did these repairs take place? 7 years ago.
The PO was a 60ish year old woman as far as the registration records show and my googling her name/address listed. She had the car at least since 2008 based on the oldest registration card. She didn't drive it much it seems. The car will be much happier with me.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #26
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Carfahrer View Post
I made an appointment for Wednesday with the local dealership to program the new immobilizer and key transponders. As far as the DME, I believe codes are based on the car vin and when programming a new immobilizer the service rep has to acknowledge the vin code is correct. At that point the immobilizer is "locked" to that vin code and cannot be reprogrammed.
That will work, I thought you were trying to do this yourself. I have a PST-2 and have done this. In the past dealers would not give the owner the learning codes, now most do.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #27
Pathological Tinkerer

With the engine cover carpet out and drying I wanted to take a look at the engine bay. Uggh. Years of road grime, grease, oil, dust, and filth covered the engine. I couldn’t stand it so I got out my Chemical Guys Grime Reaper and got after it. I’ll do a better job later but at least now I can leave it with a somewhat good conscience that the car is not wallowing in its own filth.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #28
Pathological Tinkerer

Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #29

Woohoo!

Might want to put some gas in.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #30

Nice and low miles, wonder why it needed a clutch a few years ago from your earlier findings.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #31
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
Nice and low miles, wonder why it needed a clutch a few years ago from your earlier findings.
I think the PO was advised to do the clutch while an RMS was done. There were multiple service events where she was charged large amounts of money for random items where I think she was taken advantage of. The clutch not being one of them.

When I arrived at the dealership, the service manager gave me a line about how programming the immobilizer sometimes doesn’t work, something else might be wrong, etc., and that he has seen it take up to two days to get it working. While this is true it is most likely a rarity. He wanted me to leave the car with them but I told him it is on my trailer as it doesn’t run without the immobilizer working and that wasn’t possible.

I ended up backing the trailer into a service bay after some discussion as it was raining (water is no longer entering) and immediately opened the Boxster driver door and removed the seat (previously unbolted) and placed it on the fender of the trailer. The old immobilizer was also already removed and I had the new immobilizer and keys sitting in the seat well.

Shortly after the service technician brought out his PST-2 and plugged in the new unit and completed the programming the car fired right up!! It ran pretty rough and died twice but stayed running after that but was still running pretty rough. The gas gauge was pretty low and I thought the rough running was a result of sitting for a period of time and having old gas. I mentioned it to the tech and he thought that could likely be the issue. The service manager only charged me for 15 minutes of labor to complete the programming as maybe he realized, based on my preparation, that I knew he was trying to snow job me in our initial conversation to be able to pad the labor for the job a little.

On the way home I filled the car up completely to dilute the old gas and I also added Sea Foam to the tank. After unloading the car I drove it for about 10 minutes and by the time I brought it back home it was running pretty well. The brakes feel awful and sound terrible though.

The Boxster now sits in my garage having been given a reprieve and a new lease on life and is eagerly awaiting its new future. It has no idea..

Old 03-23-2017, 05:20 AM   #32

You got Porsche dealer to charge you 15 minutes for something? Dude, you are a hero to everyone on here now. Excellent news that it is running decent.
As far as big, unnecessary charges go here is a story. 20+ years ago I used to drive a tow truck. I brought a Mercedes in to the local dealer and the service lot was so packed I went inside and asked where I should put the car, as a smart alec I also said "I thought Mercedes were pretty good cars so why do you guys have 100s back here for repair?" Writer replied: "they just need regular service but if we don't do a bunch of crap and tell them we have to wait on special parts from Germany they don't think their car is special enough and won't trust us unless it takes lots of time and costs lots of money, they want to tell their friends and neighbors how much special care their car requires"
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #33
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've had similar experiences.

Dealers are more willing to help when you order the fobs and immobilizer from them. Not so much when you order them from Sunset Porsche at a much lower cost.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #34
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I've had similar experiences.

Dealers are more willing to help when you order the fobs and immobilizer from them. Not so much when you order them from Sunset Porsche at a much lower cost.
Yeah, I had to do some talking to get him to even do it as I did not get it from him.

As a side note, I had a cool experience while there to have the immobilizer programmed that I thought you all might appreciate. A 918 sat two bays down from where we were working on my car and I got to take a nice look at it after my car was done and out and I was able to talk to another service manager and technician about it. The manager told me it had already changed hands twice in its short life. The original “owner” never took delivery of it as he sold his purchase place with Porsche to another for a cool $200k above his deposit. The second owner took delivery of it but never drove it when he sold it to a woman who ‘just had to have it as a surprise’ for her husband’s birthday. The second owner supposedly profited another $200k on this transaction. The car was absolutely stunning in its options. It was very humorous to me to have my ‘ball of yarn and bellybutton lint’ priced Boxster S next to the 918. Quite opposite ends of the price/performance spectrum though both carry the Porsche legacy.

P.S. - The thought of somebody who can buy a spouse a $1.4 million car as a surprise birthday gift blew my mind.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #35
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I wonder if the immobilizer is still under the drivers seat in the 918.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #36
Pathological Tinkerer

The car is now on jack stands in the garage and wheels, brake calipers, rotors, and brake lines from the unibody connections to calipers have been removed. Rotors went to O’reillys this evening for turning as they are the only place I know that will turn drilled rotors. The guy turning the rotors felt bad that he took so long doing them that he charged me $15 to turn them. They now look pretty good.

Pads, caliper seals and o-rings, and stainless braided brake lines have been ordered from Zeckhausen. LN spin on filter adapter has been sourced and 160 degree thermostat and water pump have been ordered. When I took the tires off, I saw some oil leak witness from the coil packs so I probably have some cracked spark plug tubes or leaking o-rings so I also ordered plug tubes, o-rings, and plugs from Vertex.

Diiiirtyyy.

Washed and polished wheels.

The calipers are very faded and look more pink than red so I also bought VHT brake primer, paint, and clear and ordered Ebay Porsche brake stickers to refurbish them.

Phew. This is fun!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
The car is now on jack stands in the garage and wheels, brake calipers, rotors, and brake lines from the unibody connections to calipers have been removed. Rotors went to O’reillys this evening for turning as they are the only place I know that will turn drilled rotors. The guy turning the rotors felt bad that he took so long doing them that he charged me $15 to turn them. They now look pretty good.

Pads, caliper seals and o-rings, and stainless braided brake lines have been ordered from Zeckhausen. LN spin on filter adapter has been sourced and 160 degree thermostat and water pump have been ordered. When I took the tires off, I saw some oil leak witness from the coil packs so I probably have some cracked spark plug tubes or leaking o-rings so I also ordered plug tubes, o-rings, and plugs from Vertex.

Diiiirtyyy.

Washed and polished wheels.

The calipers are very faded and look more pink than red so I also bought VHT brake primer, paint, and clear and ordered Ebay Porsche brake stickers to refurbish them.

Phew. This is fun!
Those rims look incredible, definitely my favorite! I did the same with my calipers, VHT and eBay lettering. They still look great several years later
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #38

I have the same wheels on my 2002 S, once a year do the same as you just did, great wheels.

Last edited by eallga72; 03-26-2017 at 12:08 PM.
eallga72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I had to do some talking to get him to even do it as I did not get it from him.

As a side note, I had a cool experience while there to have the immobilizer programmed that I thought you all might appreciate. A 918 sat two bays down from where we were working on my car and I got to take a nice look at it after my car was done and out and I was able to talk to another service manager and technician about it. The manager told me it had already changed hands twice in its short life. The original “owner” never took delivery of it as he sold his purchase place with Porsche to another for a cool $200k above his deposit. The second owner took delivery of it but never drove it when he sold it to a woman who ‘just had to have it as a surprise’ for her husband’s birthday. The second owner supposedly profited another $200k on this transaction. The car was absolutely stunning in its options. It was very humorous to me to have my ‘ball of yarn and bellybutton lint’ priced Boxster S next to the 918. Quite opposite ends of the price/performance spectrum though both carry the Porsche legacy.
P.S. - The thought of somebody who can buy a spouse a $1.4 million car as a surprise birthday gift blew my mind.
I Live about two miles from Rhodes Scholars in NC. They host a monthly cars an coffee. It is a wonderful place to see vehicles like that one.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #40

Great to see you bringing your Boxster back to life. I bought mine from a guy in NY that pretty much did nothing but change the oil, brake pads, and tires. Bought my 986 S a year ago and invested about $8k in it (wife wasn't happy ). needed the major service done at 60k which I did. I did 90% of the repairs but new top with glass window, RMS, LN IMS, clutch, flywheel done by a Porsche shop local to me. Not sure why owners let these cars go to **** and treat them as appliances. Nice job with your car. I always have a project planned, next ones are suspension work, brake caliper refresh, maybe a coolant tank replacement.

marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote