Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

2002 Porsche Boxster S OEM bumper.

Got into a little accident. Nothingmajor but cracked my rear bumper.. anyone know a place where i can get brand new oem bumpers?

aj_s21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

They cost a fortune to ship ! You need a local pick up source and since you do not mention your exact location .....Try C.L.?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #3

Can it be fixed? I had a fender bender last month which put a small circular cut in the front bumper - maybe from the tailpipe of the car I hit. The body shop was able to plastic weld it and it came out great. You could check with Pelican, Sunset Porsche in Portland, Oregon and Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota, Florida to see what the best deal including shipping is on a new bumper if you need a new one. If you are having a body shop do the repairs they may have a source and get you a good price too.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

I got hit in the rear and a good body shop associated with a dealer fixed it perfectly.

Took a while and involved repainting but also inspection/replacement of several under-bumper supports and even the straightness of the exhaust pipes. Five years later you absolutely can't tell it was done.

I took the opportunity to get bumperplugs to paint my bumperettes to match. Also perfect.

See what a good body shop says.

Also a list of wrecking yards specializing in P-cars is here. Lots more front end crashes than rears so rears should be available.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #5

Buy a clean used one from Woody ( itsnotanova ) on this forum. If he can ship Greyhound won't cost that much .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Buy a clean used one from Woody ( itsnotanova ) on this forum. If he can ship Greyhound won't cost that much .
The problem is that the spec boxster boys snap up front and rear bumpers the second he has them available and he has a waiting list when I spoke to him last

I will second what others have said. A good body shop can do wonders with your bumper cover.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #7

Is Spec Boxstering that much of a contact sport?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

If Woody doesn't have what you need, try ebay seller QualityPorscheParts. They sell good used bumpers and the shipping (via freight) is included. I bought one from them last summer for $525 after a neighbor harpooned my rear bumper cover from the side. It came in one hellaciously large box in about a week. I was very pleased with them. I went this route after checking prices for a new one. A new cover (after PCA discount) was $680 (considering how large it is, I thought that was cheap), then you have paint and labor on top of that. Get a good used one that's the same color and you can have your car back together the day it arrives.

My original bumper cover had been repaired more than once by the previous owner - the one i got from QualityPorscheParts had never been touched, so I considered it an upgrade.

Last edited by BirdDog; 02-16-2017 at 01:19 PM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Is Spec Boxstering that much of a contact sport?
It's more like bumper cars
Old 02-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #10

I was in the same situation last summer. I had a small fender bender when someone backed into me at the gas pump. At least they didn't hit the pump... boom!

Anyway, I have a black base bumper and figured it would be easy to find a used bumper to match. Not so quick! I looked on CL and Ebay for months and could only find used bumpers that either needed to be repainted, were in poor condition, or too much money.

So, I finally went to my local body shop. He repaired the crack with plastic weld and repainted the bumper for $400. The bumper looks brand new and is ready for springtime. Much less effort, easier and less stress than searching for another bumper. YMMV
Old 02-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #11

Why do you instantly want a brand new bumper? Just get a used one off Ebay for a fraction of the price. It'll match the age of the rest of the car, and if the rest of the car is in mint condition, just polish/compound the bumper to look new.

I'd never, ever pay new for any body parts for this very reason. Once it's on, you can't tell it's new or used. It's a waste of money.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewd3 View Post
I was in the same situation last summer. I had a small fender bender when someone backed into me at the gas pump. At least they didn't hit the pump... boom!

Anyway, I have a black base bumper and figured it would be easy to find a used bumper to match. Not so quick! I looked on CL and Ebay for months and could only find used bumpers that either needed to be repainted, were in poor condition, or too much money.

So, I finally went to my local body shop. He repaired the crack with plastic weld and repainted the bumper for $400. The bumper looks brand new and is ready for springtime. Much less effort, easier and less stress than searching for another bumper. YMMV
i think i will try with my local shop. thanks for the help!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I got hit in the rear and a good body shop associated with a dealer fixed it perfectly.

Took a while and involved repainting but also inspection/replacement of several under-bumper supports and even the straightness of the exhaust pipes. Five years later you absolutely can't tell it was done.

I took the opportunity to get bumperplugs to paint my bumperettes to match. Also perfect.

See what a good body shop says.

Also a list of wrecking yards specializing in P-cars is here. Lots more front end crashes than rears so rears should be available.
Im going to see what they can do. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Can it be fixed? I had a fender bender last month which put a small circular cut in the front bumper - maybe from the tailpipe of the car I hit. The body shop was able to plastic weld it and it came out great. You could check with Pelican, Sunset Porsche in Portland, Oregon and Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota, Florida to see what the best deal including shipping is on a new bumper if you need a new one. If you are having a body shop do the repairs they may have a source and get you a good price too.
going to try my luck. thanks!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #15

Thank you for the help guys! Will keep you updated!