Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #41

TRK - I place 1mm plates under the tires to measure lift and downforce. They are essentially sensor preset at -1N/mm2 and I then solve those transient with accelerating air flow. How legal is it to publish/plot this online? let's say I'd do the full analysis of the Porsche Boxster 986 (as per model you've seen here). To your knowledge is this scope for potential attacks?!

To me this is what you guys would need, not the effect of a windy day in BoxsterTown lollll Although you must agree it does great wallpaper and t-shirts!

Also, your take on Ram Air Intake. Given that amazing dynamic pressure over the 986, any scope for a hard roof retrofit? instead of wasting our time doing bigger plenums and all the fuss behind them. No?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #42

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Interesting, next time it is cool I may try to do a top down Especially if I am going to be much faster according to the recent diagram
You can check out the DE standards on the PCA website, that being said those are minimum and each region can be more strict. Send a email the national de chair, he's a great guy and always open to chatting about de.

* had faster autocross times with the top down*
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #43

no idea on legality, but the pressure info would be excellent. even just seeing the airspeed info is interesting. in your initial post, the blue air behind the cockpit is slower than the incoming air so is the turbulent area i was speaking of. am i correct in assuming that the model with the car on an angle has the spoiler up, while the top/side models do not? if so, note how the red 'lift' area is reduced, replaced by the blue turbulent flow.

re ram air, i think grab the fastest air you can - somewhere on the roof in this case? this appears to reflect real world practice as well.

Last edited by The Radium King; 02-07-2017 at 08:37 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
am i correct in assuming that the model with the car on an angle has the spoiler up, while the top/side models do not?

re ram air, i think grab the fastest air you can - leading edge of the windshield in this case? this appears to reflect real world practice as well.
I'll be honest I have no recollection of what model/angle was what. I have about 30 more screen grabs here with and without the spoiler, wings etc and just picked up the best looking one I had (my current mobby's wallpaper!).

I'll see if I can get an answer from the ppl I know at P but doubt they will be helpful 'anything legal', hence why I was asking you. The problem is the model is so bloody realistic (and scaled also) that I'm sure someone will hit me behind the head if I go too far. I'll ask, never know. In a meantime there is no problem to PM if you need any data on whatever.... given of course it doesn't take me more than a day or two to solve

ps. I had the TMG solvers included in the advanced sim package we got for the Co back in 2016 (mainly for structural). So going through all the online training that actually came with the deal. We only have 4 months left on the maintenance and tough Mrs Boxster was a good candidate to get tings squared for CFD. Let me know if you need anything bud
Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #45

Oh anyone reading and have a spare hard top, please retrofit and go kill some 911 cars with it

Good car shapes... natural air compressor lolll
Old 02-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Oh anyone reading and have a spare hard top, please retrofit and go kill some 911 cars with it

Good car shapes... natural air compressor lolll
I have a hardtop but I haven't been running it on track because of the extra 55 pounds...

I'll take it with me next time, and hopefully the temp and other conditions will be similar, and I'll post a comparison.

Unfortunately there will be another change at the same time between the two runs, I have sold my Beluga Exhaust and putting my original exhaust back on, but with the Fister mod. With the Beluga I was consistently getting to 126/127 with two times of 128 on the front straight at RRR (vs 122 with the stocker). Some of this is technique but I am not coming through turn 9 6 mph faster so some is the car. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Fister. I may do some runs with the hard top off and then add it back on for a comparison, that way we can do both on the same day.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #47

Quote:
I have a hardtop but I haven't been running it on track because of the extra 55 pounds...
Gut it man, toss the useless weight away and install this with ducts running to your air intake (testing your fabrication skills haha). You'll get something like +35% compressed air on the 986. See first few plots.

Always wondered why the roof area was used by the performance guys (ruff, mirage cgt, etc). It just never made any sense to me (roof?!?) until I saw why like you guys did.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I Like the angle in your original image. ...a little scaling and add a bit of text.
There you go, found it finally. Let me know when you've grabbed/saved it locally so I can delete it from my flickr (click to dwload the high resolution 2550*1350).

Old 02-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #49

And forget those $500 side vents (aka ram-air intake). Another bloody eBay scam that doesn't work. The air is pressured off the car sides on the 986 (see plots again)

Yea that's my car, who else's LOL
Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #50
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Thanks, got the image. ...I really need to get some good fonts.
Here's a layout put together with Gimp:

or a little busier.
Attached Images

Last edited by 78F350; 02-08-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Replaced first image. Improved....
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #51
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Just a tiny little change --> 986 (printed or even better as a badge, would need a little scare box around it) on the arm side.
Right in the center is a little too prominent for my taste

Last edited by BRAN; 02-07-2017 at 11:41 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #52
Racer Boy

One thing to keep in mind are that most functioning spoilers don't create downforce, they kill lift. The retractable spoilers found on our 986s and Audi TTs are there for a reason, the factory did air tunnel tests and actual road tests, and found that they made the car more stable by killing rear-lift. The factory wants a car that has more lift at the front of the car than the rear, because that makes for a much more stable and forgiving car.

The software shown in this thread is amazing, but it doesn't replace air tunnel testing. If you were to see photos from air tunnel testing, the smoke plumes would show that there is a dramatic increase in turbulence around the top of the car with the top down. Turbulence = drag. My guess is that a 986 is faster with the top up than down, because of the increased drag. The top speed on my Miata was about 5 - 8 mph slower with the top down. The car shapes are different, but the top shape is pretty similar. A Boxster is about 30 mph + faster than a first generation Miata, so the drag differences between top up and top down would be even more dramatic.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #53

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Just a tiny little change --> 986 (printed or even better as a badge, would need a little scare box around it) on the arm side.
Right in the center is a little too prominent for my taste
Wow,
What a great design. Put me down for one. Size = XL.

@Fred - I wish I had your toys. I always enjoyed CFD when I was modelling furnaces for heat treatment. Sadly retirement took those toys away. Great rasters Fred!
Old 02-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Gut it man, toss the useless weight away and install this with ducts running to your air intake (testing your fabrication skills haha). You'll get something like +35% compressed air on the 986. See first few plots.

Always wondered why the roof area was used by the performance guys (ruff, mirage cgt, etc). It just never made any sense to me (roof?!?) until I saw why like you guys did.

I want it! Maybe with two channels - the other to feed an air to oil cooler

I saw a 2nd gen MR Turbo with a roof scoop like this and it was sweet!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #55

here you go ...

or

or just build your own ...

GTM Roof Scoop - Factory Five Parts Catalog
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #56
WALDMEISTER

Garage
CTR3...
Old 02-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #57

Garage
Quote:

I'll take it with me next time, and hopefully the temp and other conditions will be similar, and I'll post a comparison.

Unfortunately there will be another change at the same time between the two runs, I have sold my Beluga Exhaust and putting my original exhaust back on, but with the Fister mod. With the Beluga I was consistently getting to 126/127 with two times of 128 on the front straight at RRR (vs 122 with the stocker). Some of this is technique but I am not coming through turn 9 6 mph faster so some is the car. Will be interesting to see what happens with the Fister. I may do some runs with the hard top off and then add it back on for a comparison, that way we can do both on the same day.

Butt dyno says hardtop off is faster.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #58

Ok, I want a t-shirt too. Who ever put this up please link up the "Buy Now" button (Jon?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
Wow,
What a great design. Put me down for one. Size = XL.

@Fred - I wish I had your toys. I always enjoyed CFD when I was modelling furnaces for heat treatment. Sadly retirement took those toys away. Great rasters Fred!
Wow, surprised, me did not know that, Don!

Yea you should see what's available to us today in terms of problem solving you'd freak out. 'Dynamic-anything' throughout the whole study domain. Toys indeed

The only difference today (from your time I'm guessing) is the abilities to coupled any of the CFD data fields with thermal and/or structural problem solving (PLM suite). Friggin scary when you start thinking about it (lets just hope only kind & honest ppl have access to these tools I tell ya).

Hope you are well there buddy, my regards to you and your family as always
Old 02-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #59
On the slippery slope

Garage
Submitted it to Blipshift for you Fred
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Submitted it to Blipshift for you Fred
and then what, they offer the designing work and then they'll email you back the link for us buy them? Let us see let us see