Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

Top Dash Light

OK extra smart people, I need some help.

A couple of weeks ago I swapped out my top and frame for a better one and I have zero complaints except that when I put the top down, the dash light doesn't go off and I cannot raise the windows with the top down.

Which freaking micro switch is telling the car the clamshell isn't fully flush with the bodywork so I can adjust it? Is it the center one above the top motor? If so, how do I adjust it?

Thanks!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

Garage
Hey Randall

I replaced the gears in the top transmission along with the cables the other weekend and noticed when trying to align the top that if not aligned correctly when closed the top light would stay on. On the B version of the transmission (do not know about A version) on drivers side there is a micro switch within transmission that will stop the top movement when reached at either end, my issue was the drivers side did not 100% sit before the passenger side did and so the micro switch did not fully close and light stayed on.

looking at the clam shell it looked flush when closed, but it was off by a 1/4" or so from actual measurement of the "V bar" from bottom to top.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
Hey Randall

I replaced the gears in the top transmission along with the cables the other weekend and noticed when trying to align the top that if not aligned correctly when closed the top light would stay on. On the B version of the transmission (do not know about A version) on drivers side there is a micro switch within transmission that will stop the top movement when reached at either end, my issue was the drivers side did not 100% sit before the passenger side did and so the micro switch did not fully close and light stayed on.

looking at the clam shell it looked flush when closed, but it was off by a 1/4" or so from actual measurement of the "V bar" from bottom to top.

I think i have the same problem with the clamshell. How did you allign it properly?
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #4

Hey, Kingwood is a short drive for me. Interested in helping me to fix this? ��
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:09 PM   #5

Garage
@ Randall - Anytime bud, would be great to see you again.

@ CrisZenithBlue - There are a few posts on here that I looked over along with the following DIY at Pelican Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Repair - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

It took a bit of trial and error on my part as I tried the drill method and stripped the end of one cable (thanks god I ordered two )

But basically with the clam shell in full up position just as the soft top began to go back I stopped and measured from the bottom of the "boomerang-shaped lever" to the top of trunk lip http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair/images_med/Pic8.jpg

and then whichever side was lower I disconnected the cable from the motor and used the top switch to move a little at a time till both were same distance.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote