Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #21
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
You must not spend any time in California (or other States along the southern border) That scenario plays out with the undocumented individual getting that summons you spoke of, but they'll never show up for the hearing. The victim is left to cover their own bills. Rinse, repeat.

The only defense left is to carry lots of "under insured motorist" coverage on your auto policy.
You know it brother. Happened to my wife and I no less than 4 times in the last twenty years. The last time, in 2013, the person who hit us DID have insurance; you know, the scumbag company $29.00 a month type, and even though she was at fault, and admitted it to the police officer, her insurer refused to pay because she never filed a report. And we got stuck with the $1000.00 deductible payment!

The other three times, the offending driver was allowed to drive away, even though it was determined that they had NO insurance.

The real kicker is that when I cancelled my insurance on a registered vehicle (it was parked in my garage and never driven), I got a letter from the State saying that it was illegal to have an uninsured car! WTF?????

Just venting............

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #22
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
It's not a legal option. It is totally ILLEGAL to drive without insurance.
Ah ok...was getting worried

The procedure here would be (as far as I remember):
You need a valid passport/ID card
You need a valid driver's license
You need TÜV approval documents for the car
You need the car papers etc. of course
You need liability insurance/papers (I sometimes read here"under-insured", what does that mean and how is that possible)
Minimum coverage defined per law:
7.5 Million € --> personal injuries
1 Million € --> car/property damage damage

If you took all those bureaucratic hurdles...You might get your car registered AND a license plate.

Without a (visible) license plate and valid TÜV, the Polizei will pull ya off the streets

Last edited by BRAN; 10-30-2014 at 03:51 PM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Ah ok...was getting worried

The procedure here would be (as far as I remember):
You need a valid passport/ID card
You need a valid driver's license
You need TÜV approval documents for the car
You need the car papers etc. of course
You need liability insurance/papers (I sometimes read here"under-insured", what does that mean and how is that possible)

If you took all those bureaucratic hurdles...You might get your car registered AND a license plate.

Without a (visible) license plate and valid TÜV, the Polizei will pull ya off the streets
Being German I know were you are coming from. Germany has tough and for the most part logical rules with the majority of people following them. This is one of the reasons that allows for unlimited speeds on parts of the autobahn. In America you have the federal government and 50 states plus territories and countless counties and cities that all have their own laws and different levels of enforcement. Add to that millions of illigal immigrants and it sometimes feels like no is following the law. It not as bad as it sounds but in some ways it not a very "United States". Just don't piss us off as a country because that's when we all get together and come for you.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
operating a vehicle without insurance is illegal and if police are called a summons requiring a court appearance will be issued at a minimum, regardless of their legal resident status. The police who respond in many jurisdictions, Florida jumps to mind, can arrest the uninsured driver and have the car impounded. At which point their legal status would be determined and bail refused as they were deemed either "danger to the community or pose a risk of flight", the standard for bail. If the local police who arrested the uninsured driver suspect the driver of being an undocumented immigrant they can alert the immigration officials who will place a federal detainer on the uninsured drivers's release to begin deportation proceedings. The federal government routinely deports undocumented aliens as a consequence of these very vehicular accidents, often so promptly that their kids are still at home without any adult supervision and must be monitored by social services.

Point being, it all depends on whether you called the police and how they handle it. Illegals are not sanctioned to drive without insurance whether the state provides them with driver's licenses or not. And they have a strong motivation to carry insurance because if they are deported as consequence of a car accident or a bench warrant for failing to appear in court over a previous car accident, re-entering the country after a likely deportation in those cirumstances is a felony, assuming they are stopped for driving without insurance a second time, which will result in a lengthy federal prison sentence which they will serve in full without the possibility parole... after which they will be deported and often with long stays in a prison until their second, more complicated deportation is processed.
Some states along the border simply do not have the manpower to process every undocumented immigrant formally and simply load them onto a bus back to their country. Processing every single undocumented worker caught this way (over two million by my last read) would require a drastic increase ($$$$) in immigration officers, jails and clerical staff. And we already have more immigration officers be it inspectors or border patrol agents than all law enforcement agencies combined. It's a bigger force than just about any South American military, except for possibly Colombia who are at war with the heavily funded FARC terrorist rebels.

I'm going to guess that you're damage is about $9K. It would have been higher if you had HID litronics instead of halogens.
Push for them to replace both headlights as they will not match if you have one old one and one new one. In your situation I would ask for a check that you would receive based on an estimate from a shop of your choosing. This instead of having the shop paid directly by the insurance, these shops will send a very inflated estimate in that case and it could result in an increase to your insurance as they try to get the money back, especially if you've have any speeding tickets or moved to a new zip code.
Perfectlap, are you a Politician? If so, that would explain a lot!!!!
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Minimum coverage defined per law:
7.5 Million € --> personal injuries
1 Million € --> car/property damage damage
Wow! In my state (WA) we get away with something like $25k/person bodily injury (which is what, $12.5k € ?) in property damage and $50k per accident, and only $10k property damage.

That is of course a ridiculously small amount given what medical bills and car repairs cost, so I'm not defending it.

Also, we need not show proof of insurance at all for a motorcycle or moped.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #26
Track rat

Garage
Call 911 Design in Montclair and ask for Loren. They have a fully prepped body shop with frame straightener if needed.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
The jails in many of those states are already at capacity from our own domestic law breakers (largely because of our drug laws). Many in the state's police ranks could spend nearly all of their time processing these illegal alien arrests as they are time-consuming and expensive while violent crimes need their attention first. And then there's the matter of paying for all that, our government can take on more debt or raise taxes, neither of which are in vogue.
IMHO we have been in denial about how to deal with the issue for a long time. You're not going to even process every illegal caught let alone catch everyone in the first place. And doing so would require an epic spending of money on the order of another war in the middle east, which we've yet to pay for as well.
Also, from what I've read only a very small % of deportations and arrests of illegals come from a result of traffic accidents. They're typically arrested crossing the border on foot or in workplace raids.
Typical confusing activity with accomplishment! How basic is it to protect your borders! Anyone here not bother to lock your doors before leaving home or going to sleep at night. We need to build a wall that's up to the job!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Typical confusing activity with accomplishment! How basic is it to protect your borders! Anyone here not bother to lock your doors before leaving home or going to sleep at night. We need to build a wall that's up to the job!
The problem with such a fool-proof wall (which would surely be one of the 7 wonders of the modern world) aside from its astronomical cost, would be all the small businesses that would block it from being built since they rely heavily on a steady stream of millions of illegal migrant workers to keep their small businesses afloat. They're also the reason why these illegals have to stay illegal: once they become legal they have to pay them a minimum wage, workers comp in case of injury, ensure safe working conditions and other costs that crimp small business margins. It's a cynical arrangement. Meanwhile, keeping the current cat and mouse charade going employs millions of LE agents, keep jail contractors in business, and of course maintains the endless black market of cheap labor. Unless there is an economic disincentive to keep small business from using illegal labor, they will continue to be the lure that gets illegals to risk their lives crossing the border by the millions. Many of whom transport contraband. And really when you look at our history, there's never been an industrialized period where American business didn't use immigrant labor in large numbers. The difference now is that we no longer have a viable mechanism to manage it. Department of State statistics indicate that an unskilled worker has an approximate wait of ~90 years to obtain a work visa. They aren't going to wait that long, neither are the millions of small businesses that are always hiring them.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-31-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Wish it was as simple as building a wall. Ask the Chinese.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Yeah but they didn't have millions of illegals willing to build it for cheap...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #31

Quote:
I was thinking the Germans, being this is a Porsche forum and all.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
......I sometimes read here"under-insured", what does that mean and how is that possible.
That particular coverage is for when the you are not at fault in an accident, but the other guys insurance coverage cannot pay ( reached it's limit) or does not have insurance - driving illegally without insurance. Your insurance pays you, then goes after the responsible party.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
I was thinking the Germans, being this is a Porsche forum and all.
Yes me too, East German to be exact!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #34

It's a little far for you, but LAcarGUY body shop specializes in Porsche repair and is actually owned by the Pacific Porsche dealership.

LAcarGUY Body Shop | Certified Collision Center Los Angeles
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #35

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Coronarealtor
Looks like my babies totaled....

Update; Just found out this morning the Porsche is probably going to be a total loss, so far the damages are over $10,000+ not including any frame work.....RIP :'(
Coronarealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #36
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronarealtor View Post
Update; Just found out this morning the Porsche is probably going to be a total loss, so far the damages are over $10,000+ not including any frame work.....RIP :'(
Sorry to hear this. It's a real bummer.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:49 AM   #37
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
And they STILL couldn't keep the neighbor's cats out of their yard!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #38
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I heard in Cyprus....... (Sorry to beat you to it timco)
I really wanted to see the progress with this.

"I know if I set my mind to something I can make it perfect! You see! I will make it perfect again!"

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote