Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #1

Hardtop/Speedster hump install

Okay, I am trying to install the mounting kit for the hardtop/speedster humps. The Porsche Maintenance manuals are useless. They simply stated R/R, remove/replace. The Pelican instructions are not much better. Obviously the spin locks are not difficult to install, however, how do I get the shoulder bolts into the side of the chassis holes, to secure the spin locks ? The convertible top side arm is in the way, no matter what position I place the top in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

navyc130fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #2

You have to remove the carpet covered vertical trim. There's a Phillips screw buried in the carpet. There are also Allen head screws holding this trim-- just loosen, do not remove them. The lugs on the trim are slotted and slip over those screws.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/110-preparing-a-boxster-for-a-hardtop/
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

It's been more than a year since I did it, but I think there were some posts online that helped, and some pictures too. I did find it much easier to install the shoulder bolts after removing the carpeted piece where the seat belts retract into. Then, if I remember correctly, I got the bolts in with the top up. A strong flashlight helps, and a long ball-end allen t-wrench with the threaded part of the bolt stuck through a plastic baggie so it can be held on the wrench while starting the threads.
This might help:

Installing Spinlocks - 986 Boxster Top Issues and Solutions - RennTech.org Forums

Or this:

Boxster Board Message Museum

Once you try these tips, it's really not hard. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyc130fe View Post
Okay, I am trying to install the mounting kit for the hardtop/speedster humps. The Porsche Maintenance manuals are useless. They simply stated R/R, remove/replace. The Pelican instructions are not much better. Obviously the spin locks are not difficult to install, however, how do I get the shoulder bolts into the side of the chassis holes, to secure the spin locks ? The convertible top side arm is in the way, no matter what position I place the top in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Pelican Technical Article: Installing the Boxster Hardtop and Installation Kit - 986 / 987

If you look at the first reply and click the picture on the pelican 'how to' it shows the side cover removed. Use a Bohus style Allen wrench (looks like a ball on the end) look in the circle for the Allen wrench.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
petrol head

Garage
Don't try doing this without using the "plastic over the retaining bolt" method i used some heavy duty plastic sheet, so glad i did, the fixings cost a fortune for what they are. Must the the most exspensive part on the box, based on size and weight.
always porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #6

Thanks for the help!! The RennTech instructions were by far the best! Agreed, this would be near impossible with the plastic lunch bag over the retaining bolt. A ball-end Allen wrench is essential. The top needs to be almost all the way up and carpet trim removed. There is one bolt on the very top of the carpet trim that is best removed with a small crescent wrench. Thanks again everyone!!
navyc130fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #7

You're welcome ! Yes, as I said in my post, I found removing the carpet, the plastic bag trick and the ball-end allen wrench indispensable. I also found the Renntech posts much more helpful than my Pelican Parts 101 Projects manual, which is the same as the Pelican Technical online article. I found I couldn't use the link to the Renntech article that lkchris posted without paying a donation !

Glad you were successful. Just in time for top-down weather . I love my hard top in the winter, but I take it off in May (or are you installing speed humps?).
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #8

Garage
Please help!!!

Hey All, so I tried the plastic bag method but unfortunately dropped the bolt down anyway. Any Ideas on how to find it?

Please help!!!
Secondary Cat delete
Top Speed Test pipes and Exhaust
NJBoxster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoxster2000 View Post
Hey All, so I tried the plastic bag method but unfortunately dropped the bolt down anyway. Any Ideas on how to find it?

Please help!!!
I haven't seen any other responses, so I thought I might offer an option. However, I hope someone else has a better idea. Judging from my experience with the hard top installation, I expect that your bolt fell into or under the top mechanism. I suggest that you review these instructions:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe

They will show you how the top and frame are attached to the car. They may help you root around the top and find the bolt. As a last resort, you could remove the top and frame to clear the search area. I hope that it does not come to that, but it would be an option.

It is really not that difficult to remove it, but you will need someone to help you when you are ready to lift it off the car.

Good luck and I hope someone suggests a less labor-intensive method.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #10

Garage
Thank you Kevin. I put the top into service mode and found the bolt safe and sound under it. Will try again this weekend.
Secondary Cat delete
Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 AM   #11

Plastic bag, ball end allen key.Remove carpet trim.Spray some lube on the threads of the frame as well.They will be a bit dirty and this will allow the bolt to start easier.

Also, and this is important. While doing this DIY project your ARE allowed to curse out loud at Porsche, their engineers, the bolt or anything else...it`s ok.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #12

Garage
Xpit77, thank you for the advice. I do have a couple of questions. 1. So I was able to get the bolt into the hole but was only able to screw it in up to the non-threaded part of the bolt. I would presume that it must go in all the way, considering the clearance between the hole and the frame with the top down. I attributed this to the plastic that was stuck in the hole. Am I wrong on this assumption? 2. How do you remove the carpet trim?
Thank you.
Secondary Cat delete
Old 08-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #13

1. The bolt needs to be flush. I'd back it out a little and see if you can clear the obstruction. It's also possible that it is cross threaded.

2. To remove the carpet trim: Loosen the Phillips-head screw near the bottom of the trim piece. It may be hard to see if you have black carpets. Then, loosen the 9mm bolt at the top of the trim piece. It is near the area where the seat belt comes out of hiding. Then, lift up the trim piece.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #14

Garage
Done!!!

Thank you all for your guidance. I installed the humps and it looks great. Only one thing left, repainting the humps to the color of my car. the car it came from is a lighter gray. S**T!!!

How much should a job like that cost?
Secondary Cat delete
Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #15

Cool

I too had trouble with the one on the drivers side not being flush. That`s where the WD-40 idea came about. It did feel like it was trying to cross thread.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote