Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #1

Resetting 986 Airbag Light - Solved!

I recently replaced the indicator stalk on my 986, which had broken and no longer stayed on. As part of this process, I foolishly reconnected the battery whilst the airbag was disconnected. This caused the airbag light to stay on even after the airbag was reconnected.

I found this very inexpensive Porsche PIWIS cable here: Amazon.com: New Porsche PIWIS Cable: Car Electronics

So I bought this cable and it arrived 2 weeks later from China. I don't have a Windows XP so I used Parallels 9 to install Windows XP and connected the cable up. I downloaded .Net 3.5 SP01 and then installed Durametric 5.1.4 software - from the following locations.

Download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 from Official Microsoft Download Center
http://www.durametric.com/Durametric.msi

This worked great and it can see the car. But, I was getting an error:

USB Hardware Present
All Porsche Models Selected
Device is plugged into car and ready
Boxster Selected
9X6 Airbag Selected
About to get fault codes
moduleType = AirbagB05
dtcCount = 1
Fault Number: 0
Description: Module failed to initialize
Repair Infomation: Make sure the key is in the ON position. The vehicle may not have this option or there may be a wiring problem to the computer. This could also be a module that simply failed to respond.

I then tried the 993 airbag system and this seemed to work!

964/993 Selected
993 Airbag Selected
About to get fault codes
moduleType = AirbagB04
DTC Count = 2
Fault Number:3
Description:Supply voltage
DTC Count = 2
Fault Number:21
Description:Ignition circuit driver

So I pressed the clear fault button and the light went off! I'm slightly concerned because now it won't see the airbag module again and the airbag light doesn't come on at all when the ignition is turned on - even to check. What's more, it says it is software version B05:

Displaying infomation about Airbag
Porsche part number 99661821901
Supplier part number P3T1B20ASD
Software version number: B05

Still... the light is off! Hope this helps someone!

On a separate note I think the Durametric software is amazing and if I buy another Porsche, I think I will shell out $1000 for the real cable. It is well worth it.

John

johnappleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #2

Congratulations, you've just purchased a old Durametric system clone (Version 5 which as long since been replaced with the current Version 6.3.2.5, which is much more capable) out of China, and in doing so have helped undermine the only aftermarket company working to make complete Porsche diagnostics possible in the DIY market without spending $17,000 to lease a real PIWIS. The Asian Durametric clone cables are not compatible with the latest Durametric software, so you cannot update, and the clones are known for being buggy and sometimes can actually damage the car's DME.

And just as a reference point, you could have purchase a real Durametric system for less than $300, and had full unlimited access to all future updates for free,

Last edited by JFP in PA; 09-08-2013 at 12:33 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

What JFP said.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

I hear you and I think it's a fair point, but I read that the Enthusiast $300 package doesn't work for resetting Airbag lights which is why I didn't buy the Durametric for a car I was about to sell.

I would also say that more fool Durametric because I wasn't aware it was a clone cable when I bought it - it only became apparent when I came to install the software. Given that these are mostly sold on Ebay and Amazon, you would that it would be pretty easy for Durametric to shut them down.

If I buy another Porsche, I will certainly invest in the Durametric cable.

John
johnappleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnappleby View Post
I hear you and I think it's a fair point, but I read that the Enthusiast $300 package doesn't work for resetting Airbag lights which is why I didn't buy the Durametric for a car I was about to sell.

I would also say that more fool Durametric because I wasn't aware it was a clone cable when I bought it - it only became apparent when I came to install the software. Given that these are mostly sold on Ebay and Amazon, you would that it would be pretty easy for Durametric to shut them down.

If I buy another Porsche, I will certainly invest in the Durametric cable.

John
The Enthusiast should turn off the Airbag light on any 1997-2004 986.

And would see it a little differently as you noted that system you got came direct from China, which makes it nearly impossible for Durametric to block or shut down the transactions, and which is why the sellers only do business this way, they can blatantly violate intellectual property rights as they please, with little or no recourse.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Edit: I'm retracting my support of clone cables until I see positive data. The fact that the airbag light does not come on at startup means that it made your issue worse, not better.

Last edited by particlewave; 06-16-2015 at 02:44 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

bought one couple yrs ago but never gotten to work. thanks!
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #8

Used my Durametric Enthusiast to turn off airbag light on my 2000 base. No problem.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

Airbag light problem solved

Thanks for the info. I bought a Chinese clone of the Durametric code reader that failed to work for $20. Return shipping was $13 so I just ate the cost. Was going to cough up the $285 for the Durametric reader when I saw that Newegg had one for $36 which looked just like the Durametric reader. Works great on my 2001 Boxster and used your input to read airbag code and clear. I have to OBCD2 readers. Had to buy the second to read ABS codes on Volvo and was not going to buy a third for almost $300 if I could avoid it. Would have never figured out how to read airbag code without your input. What did we do before the internet and forums? Thanks a ton!:dance:

zerngl is offline   Reply With Quote