Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #1

Need Some Advice Please

Good Afternoon,

I am wanting to purchase a pre owned Boxster for my weekend car to pair with my 13 BMW 550i. I have followed the form regular for about six months or so and have gained what I feel is great knowledge from all here. My question is, where do you guys feel is the best place to search for these cars. Obviously IMS is a concern, and would love to have one that has already had an IMS Solution done, but that is not an ultimate deal breaker. Currently I have been tracking Craigslist locally, Autotrader, and car gurus as a few. Most these sites seem to have mainly cars that are located at dealers with little history, and I think it would be more beneficial to locate one from an individual seller would it not? Looking for something in the 2001-2004 range, and currently in Texas which I have heard is still a hot market for these cars. Presume this might not be the best place to find a deal. In no rush, and have read that winter might be a better time to buy.

Really just looking for an advice from you guys and your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

All the best

Britus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
I assume that you have read all about buying your first Boxster posts above?
Yes I prefer buying privately - bought a 2001 Box base from an exec type. Was easier to get receipts for work done. Finding one with new ims would be like finding hens' teeth I would think.

I notice that you are not in a rush. Prices are lower here in winter. Take your time.
Look for one with options you want. The more you try the more you see what is normal - ie don't buy the first one you see. Check MikeFocke's articles on the Boxster.
I prefer lower mileage - my 2001 had 30k miles on it when I bought it. And of course a PPI is a must and spring for the oil change to check for metal.Look for illuminated CEL light before starting motor.....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #3

Garage
I got Mine off Cars.com a private owner in February 4 years ago. Winter is the time to pull the trigger. I believe we may have a better chance on this because they don't get driven much after November and are usually taking up the space in the garage the wife want to park the SUV.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #4

+ 1 for winter purchase. I bought my 2003 S last December for $14,750 with tons of new stuff on it.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

Garage
Cars.com, autotrader, CL, Excellence Magazine, PCA classifieds and patience! Where in Texas are you? Shops that specialize in Porsche generally know of vehicles that are or might be for sale. Also a great way to find a good mechanic for PPI and post purchase maintenance.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #6

Dfw

Bruce,

thanks for response, I am DFW metroplex area.

Paul
Britus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #7

Actually, now is a great time to buy in TX. Looks like autotrader has a healthy selection that is growing every week. Our summer down here is like you guys' winter. A convertible in summer here is pretty miserable, all though I will hand it to the Boxsters A/C for being able to keep up with the heat with the top up. I've had sports cars in the past that could not.

You might get some good deals during the winter, but considering half the days are nice enough for top down cruising, I don't see the correlation. Now is the best/only time I can think of an owner wanting to get rid of it for personal reasons. Fall gives a nice wave as families relocate in time for school. A lot of people are getting prepped for that new garage and whatnot, so once again, August has to be the best time to buy cars that do not give the sensation of being on an ice-cold throne in a meat locker.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britus View Post
Bruce,

thanks for response, I am DFW metroplex area.

Paul
Stop by ZIM's in Bedford. Wayne is the service manager and Kirk (my neighbor) is the parts guy. They typically know of a few cars for sale or can keep their eyes open.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote