Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #1

replace my 2001S leather seats ..

Hi,
I want to replace my leather seats, i looked at eBay and found this:

Porsche Boxster 97 98 99 00 01 02 Leather Seat Covers | eBay

And this:

Porsche Boxster 986 1997 2003 Replacement Leather Seat Covers Upholstery | eBay

Is someone have an opinion of what to chose ?
OR
if someone knows a better place to buy those leather seats?

Thanks a lot
Eli

eliimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #2

Buy used seats out of a 911. That's what I did. Quality replacement seat covers are too pricey.

Btw, the top linked ones don't look factory.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Ex Esso kid

I don't know if it's the price as much as the experience in recovering seats. I did a lot of Fiats and I can tell you the first time you do it is not going to look anything like the fifth time you do it, Randall might be giving you sage advise.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #4

Garage

I did those for around 850
Local upholster
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
John at Top Speed has these GT3-looking seats for only $350 (maybe less) a PAIR! For BOTH seats! You sit in them instead of on top!

Great for pulling Gs!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
John at Top Speed has these GT3-looking seats for only $350 (maybe less) a PAIR! For BOTH seats! You sit in them instead of on top!

Great for pulling Gs!
You got any pics?
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #7

Your butt better be skinny for the Gt3 seats. Mine aint.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Your butt better be skinny for the Gt3 seats. Mine aint.
Tired of this urban legend, my friend from college has ballooned to 300lbs and he loved the seats. My only concern was him cracking one which thank god didn't happen.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #9

If you are an experienced auto upholster then, by all means, buy new covers and do it yourself. I found it challenging enough just to get the old skin off, never mind putting one back on. (My old drivers seat was totally fuct. I took it apart to make it easier to get rid of and to save a few parts). I suspect there are a great many special tools needed to do the job well.

I bought a pair of like-new sports seats from a 2003 from 9-Apart in Toronto. Wasn't the cheapest solution available to me, but I love the look and feel of the sports seats. They're heated too, although it is still on my project list to install the wiring and switches to get that working.

What I hate is seeing cheap aftermarket racing seats in a Porsche. It just looks so... ricer.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Check out ebay UK. They have a lot and some prices are below covers. I would ship you my old seats (as mentioned I just replaced) but the shipping from the states would probably be way too much.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #11

Autoberry

I purchased a pair from Autoberry about six months ago and am very satisfied with their product. Just remember to have your upholster unplug the battery before removing the seats or you will have to reset your airbag light - like me. Seriously, I highly recommend this company.
jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #12

I replaced the uphostery on my 944 seats with the vinyl eqivalent. iwasn't that difficult. Hardest part was putting the bottom railing back on.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Tired of this urban legend, my friend from college has ballooned to 300lbs and he loved the seats. My only concern was him cracking one which thank god didn't happen.
He may have loved the seats because he carries his weight elsewhere. Most heavy people I know (including me) HATE racing seats. They really are made for people who are at or near their ideal weight, which is typical in racing.

I would really like to purchase them for my car when I get another Porsche to be my DD. It will force me to lose weight and keep it off so I can enjoy my new Boxster track car.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I had a seat like this in my old car... guess what kind of people could fit it and couldn't get out?? :dance:

Honestly... even a 250lb guy had trouble.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #15

Thanks all

BANDALLNEIGHBOUR:
Thanks for the advice but I live in Israel, and buying the whole chairs will cost a lot more for the shipping, so I prefer to order just the covers.

About first link, the first picture seemes a bit "cheap", but there are more pictures, and it looks better...
By the way, "Jesseborgelt" recommended for Autoberry, and I think it is the same product (the first link)

Because they are the same pictures as on their website
Correct me if im wrong …

GHOSTRIDER 310:
As I wrote before, geographic issues, i will forced to order just the covers, and for sure I will go to a professional upholster that will fit it in, by the way he charge 350$ for it (!)
So my main concern isn’t that, as for the quality of the materials, I will be really disappointed if the overall look would be "cheap"

Golonaus:
Look really good. Is the price you paid also includes the installation?
The one I found online cost 700, not including shipping and of course not including installation,
If yours cost 850$, includes the installation, suddenly I feel that 700$ is a bit expensive..
Homeboy981:
Whole chair or just the cover?
New or used?

Mark_T

I'm not upholster, but I'll take it to a professional one

WhipE350
Thank you man, but I guess you're right, it will cost too much!

Jesseborgelt:
Thank you very much for the advice, I looked in the website and I have the feeling that the first link I found

belongs to Autoberry, I just looked at the pictures and it looks just the same, I wonder if you think that way also ..

Brockmeister:
I prefer to let a professional do it, and hope it will look like the original :-|

Ekam:
I really dont plan on putting this chair in a Porsche, I'm sure there some who will disagree with me, but I think the leather ones fits more ,
Especially if the car isn’t for racing at all
eliimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #16

Garage
Talking

Golonaus:
Look really good. Is the price you paid also includes the installation?
The one I found online cost 700, not including shipping and of course not including installation,
If yours cost 850$, includes the installation, suddenly I feel that 700$ is a bit expensive..

Yep
I paid 200$ for leather hide and 650$ to make those
He sew them from scratch and installed in this price
This are not pre made covers!!!
I have custom orange stitching , extra side support and some more cushion on the bottom side
All I had to do is to remove and reinstall seats in to the car
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #17

Garage
Solution for worn seat leather at a fraction of the cost

I talked to Shift boot store - RedlineGoods leather shift boots They do a lot of high quality custom leather work. Having already gotten a new shift boot and e-brake handle from them. I asked if they could help me out with replacement "horseshoes" for the seatbacks. They made these as replacements for the factory leather, not covers. Porsche in Germany wanted over 800 Euro for one. Redline was able to do it for me for about 1/3 of the cost including the custom logo. The leather still needs to settle a little, but after the first summer, I am sure they will have the factory fit to them. Please note the color mismatch on the seats is due to some amateur painting/dying the seats other than Savanna to hide the wear before I purchased the vehicle. I will probably get the entire seat redone at some point. Shoot them an e-mail, Maciek will know what you're talking about, They don't have them listed on the web-site yet.

U2Raven is offline   Reply With Quote