Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Back up camera

Looking for any tips for installing a back up camera in my 2001 base boxster. I have a pioneer avic 710bt. The rear camera is made by DP Video and I am hoping to not have to drill any holes but if I have to with this thing I am hoping that someone out there has maybe had some experience with this and can let me know what I am getting myself into. Thanks in advance.

p.s. Not looking for anyone's opinion as to why I would need a back up camera in a boxster or what not. Just looking for tips on the install

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

I would go by a CarToys or BestBuy (where they install these all the time) and either have them do the install or have them "explain" how they would do the install without any more holes than necessary.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
coolbreeze551:

Have you seen this thread? Post #66 may be of some help to you. Unfortunately the pics are missing. He references Renntech so the pics may be available there. If not you can contact trieullionaire and maybe he can provide the pics or additional help for you.

Best of luck,

ddb

Recent Install - DVD Navigation
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the link ddb and denversteve I will be looking into both suggestions
Old 12-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

John99boxter and Johnny Danger should know !!! Ask them also. They know where to put the hole.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551 View Post
p.s. Not looking for anyone's opinion as to why I would need a back up camera in a boxster or what not. Just looking for tips on the install
we have a tiny plastic or tinier glass rear window to see out of, no explanation is necessary as to why a backup camera is a must have
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
John99boxter and Johnny Danger should know !!! Ask them also. They know where to put the hole.
If they don't put their two cents in here I may pm them soon
Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 AM   #8

They are on a secret assignment . You should hear from them soon.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #9

if your camera looks like the one on amazon.com then you could mount the camera above the license plate, that means that you need to drill two little holes for the screws
These are the only holes you need
Behind the license plate is a hole through which you can route the cable and then you need to route it from there into the trunk, if you raise the rear wing you can do it. I then routed the cable inside the rubber grommet which isolates the trunk towards the front of the car.
There you will find a large round rubber seal at the rear "firewall" through which you can easily poke a hole. If you don't figure it out ping me and I take a few pictures.
Don't forget that you need to tap into the wire for the reverse light so that the Pioneer switches to the rear view cam when you back up.
And last not least: Connect the +12V to the switched power, not to "always on"
I did that by mistake and was fighting a dead battery for weeks until I figured out my mistake.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #10

There are no screws for this camera. The way it is designed it looks like I would have to drill a sizable hole for it to sit flush in. I was think in one of the bumperettes. Anyone with experience with this type of camera would be of great help. TIA:dance:
Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #11

Yikes!

Quote:

There are no screws for this camera. The way it is designed it looks like I would have to drill a sizable hole for it to sit flush in. I was think in one of the bumperettes. Anyone with experience with this type of camera would be of great help. TIA:dance:
Are you sure they didn't sell you the Hubble Telescope? Judging from the photo no wonder you worry about drilling holes!!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #12

I think I remember that John99 and Danger drilled out the center of a license tag bolt. Top Secret stuff !!! They are always followed.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
If they don't put their two cents in here I may pm them soon
My only experience is with a periscope .
Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #14

Back up camera

I installed my back up camera when I replaced my original stereo with Chinese made double din 7" Radio/DVD/GPS unit. Installation is quiet difficult specially on where can you run the wires. I did not use the camera included from the set because it is a CMOS type camera. CMOS camera will not give you a real color and sometimes, in low light situation the picture looks grainy and almost black & white even when the IR is on. Instead I bought a CCD camera from ebay ($80), see picture:
CCD camera is the same camera they used on regular analog video camera. Cheap camera used for the internet is a CMOS type. As you can see on the picture, this camera is design to be installed on top of your license plate. Unfortunately, you have to drill a hole big enough for the RCA jack to pass through. You have to remove all the carpets on the rear compartment to expose the mechanical latch and all the wiring going to the rear. You can fish out the wires from your camera through the rear body wall. The wiring going to your car's back up lights can be found on the wire harness. You can tap in your camera on this back up wire. Running your wires is the hardest part. I run my wires on the driver's side. I open the seat belt cover to get the wires inside, then open the door jamb/seal and use that cavity to get your wires to the fuse box. There is a lot of wire fishing involve.
itoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #15

How did you route the wires past the engine area? I'm looking to do something similar.
Earn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #16

I bought a NEW BOYO VTL375 ULTRA SLIM ZINC METAL LICENSE PLATE CAMERA (BLACK) (12 VOLT-VIDEO) for $130 from Amazon. I installed it on my Tundra pickup truck. Very clean looking frame and the camera is only noticeable if you look for it. It provides a very good image on my Kenwood DNX5120.

Amazon.com: NEW BOYO VTL375 ULTRA SLIM ZINC METAL LICENSE PLATE CAMERA (BLACK) (12 VOLT-VIDEO): Electronics

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 12-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #17

The design of a backup camera is distinct from other cameras in that the image is horizontally flipped so that the output is a mirror image. This is necessary because the camera and the driver face opposite directions, and without it, the camera's right would be on the driver's left and vice versa. A mirrored image makes the orientation of the display consistent with the physical mirrors installed on the vehicle. A backup camera typically sports a wide-angle or fisheye lens. While such a lens spoils the camera's ability to see faraway objects, it allows the camera to see an uninterrupted horizontal path from one rear corner to the other. The camera is typically pointed on a downward angle, to view potential obstacles on the ground as well as the position of approaching walls and docks, rather than straight back.

Backup cameras are common on vehicles that tow difficult-to-see trailers, such as motorhomes. Recently, with the rise in popularity of in-dash DVD players and GPS navigation systems which aid in justifying the expense of adding a color LCD display to the driver's seat, they have become much more common, often available as optional factory accessories on standard passenger trucks and sport utility vehicles, as well as aftermarket accessories. Inside the vehicle, the display is typically wired to automatically sense when the transmission is set in reverse, showing the backup view while in reverse, and showing the map (or other content) at all other times.
isabelaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #18

Ummm nice explanation of a backup camera.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn View Post
Ummm nice explanation of a backup camera.
Yeah, someone knows how to use Wikipedia!
Backup camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
Yeah, someone knows how to use Wikipedia!
Backup camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nice! I didn't put in the effort to look it up but figured as much. Quality.