Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #1

Boxster Reliability

To those of you who read about all the bad things that can go wrong when you own a Boxster, and are scared of bying... "The Porsche Boxster has the best predicted reliability in our survey..."

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1556/consumer-reports-most-reliable-cars/

backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #2

The newest boxsters have an IMS-free motor and many years of refinement.

I'd buy a brand new boxster or cayman without hesitation. Of course, most of the people on this forum are buying pre-owned, older boxsters... which have weak IMS bearings and a host of other issues.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #3

The survey results are based on Boxsters from model year 2001 on.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #4

The boxster has been a very reliable car for many years now and has topped reliability charts as well, and that includes pre MY 2005 cars.

It's a very simplified car, well built, without alot of nuisance parts to go wrong IMHO...

BUT, that being said, it's impressive for a convertible which by their nature tend to have more reports of problems with the tops, creaks and rattles, and so on.

No offense meant to the 986 community, but my personal objective is to get my boxster in tip-top shape (60k tune-up coming up, fluid changes, motor mount and shifter bushing replacements, really deep detailing), ride it out for a few years, and then pick up a nicely depreciated 2005-2007 Boxster S or Carerra....if I stay in the Porsche community.

Maybe it's just my age or the fact that I've never owned one, but I need something that has a more barrel-chested sound at low RPMs, shove in the seat, etc.....the 2.5 liter is a gem above 4500-5000 rpms, but I've been driving small displacement engines for a long time now. I need something that's a bit more dangerous to drive than this ridiculously balanced car.

Anyway, my point is that to me the boxster allows me to do that. It's a pretty low-rent car if you are willing to do the work yourself on everything short of dropping the transmission (and even more low-rent if you are willing to go there!).

Short of the IMS failing and grenading the vehicle, I don't have much to worry about. The engine is bulletproof in terms of driving the snot out of it, the trans is stout. The clutch is good, though alot of people are done with it by 60k (probably due to the flywheel damping wearing out though).

And there's only one or two sensors/accessory parts that tend to go, and even those are infrequent.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.

Last edited by JoeFromPA; 10-27-2010 at 05:50 AM.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #5

I've had my Boxster for over 3 years and 18k miles. Zero reliability issues in that time. I am, however, aggressive on maintenance and have replaced rear wheel bearings and clutch/flywheel as a winter project last year just to be sure I would have worry free spring/summer/fall driving. Also, I change oil every 6 months (spring & fall) even if miles are low. While I'm at it, I always inspect my magnetic drain plug and cut open the filter element -- so far, no metal flakes or plastic bits.

In my experience, these are very well engineered and built machines that do have a few week points that are more quickly exposed by marginal maintenance.

Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote