Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #1

Horn (Air Bag Retainng Frame) Springs

I had to replace the air bag retaining frame on a 1997 Boxster I just purchased. The problem is that the new part did not come with the springs attached that make the horn work. I cannot find a part number for the springs (4 needed) so I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Thanks.

Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 AM   #2

Springs? There are no springs. The rubber that is moled into the four corners act as springs to hold the bracket away from the steering wheel bracket.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #3

Thanks. I'll take another look. There were two small springs at two of the corners of the frame that made me think there were supposed to be four. Someone, the previous owner I suppose, removed the horn and taped over the bushings presumably to stop the horns from blowing. Both horns had to be replaced. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll give it a try!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:09 AM   #4

I just replaced this on my 97 as well and it doesnt take anything but the plate that you purchased along with what is already behind your airbag. Good luck.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #5

Done! Works perfectly. Thanks for the help folks.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #6

Thanks Vath

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Springs? There are no springs. The rubber that is moled into the four corners act as springs to hold the bracket away from the steering wheel bracket.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean?
Thanks for tipping me off about the horn bracket. My horn was going off when I hit bumps in the road and it was annoying me and the people in front of me. It's very suprising that the smart German engineers did such a great job designing such a great car and dropped the ball with something as simple as the design of a horn button. Some of the cheapest cars on the road did a better job designing the switch that makes the horn toot. I've had the driver's air bag out to try to see what was going on in there so replacing the air bag retaining frame is very easy to do and the part only cost $52 at Suncoast on line. I removed the fuse until delivery....I rarely every use the horn anyway.
Thanks again.
Neil
nielm760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #7

I got the replacement frame today and was going to make the change. After disconnecting the battery and waiting 30 minutes, I inserted a T30 Torex screwdriver into the hole(s) on the backside of the steering wheel. I can feel it seating properly, but cannot turn it. I didn't try using vice-grips until I ran this by the 986 forum. My Torex T30 socket won't reach the screw, so I'm limited to the screwdriver.

What are those screws going into ? The frame is pretty thin and flimsy ? Any help will be appreciated....
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_hoyland View Post
I got the replacement frame today and was going to make the change. After disconnecting the battery and waiting 30 minutes, I inserted a T30 Torex screwdriver into the hole(s) on the backside of the steering wheel. I can feel it seating properly, but cannot turn it. I didn't try using vice-grips until I ran this by the 986 forum. My Torex T30 socket won't reach the screw, so I'm limited to the screwdriver.

What are those screws going into ? The frame is pretty thin and flimsy ? Any help will be appreciated....
Jim, I have removed airbags on many vehicles & the threads were always in stamped steel, but I have not done this on a Boxster. My 3/8 drive Snap-On torx socket has never failed on this task & if you are by Seal Beach my shop is in Costa Mesa if you want to try it. E-mail me at byprodriver@gmail.com
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Jim, I have removed airbags on many vehicles & the threads were always in stamped steel, but I have not done this on a Boxster. My 3/8 drive Snap-On torx socket has never failed on this task & if you are by Seal Beach my shop is in Costa Mesa if you want to try it. E-mail me at byprodriver@gmail.com
Thanks for the offer. Does the torex extend 2" from the base of the socket ? I have the T30 socket, but the shaft isn't long enough.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #10

OK, Got it. Had to use the Vice Grips to turn the end of the screwdriver. Once it broke free, it cam off easily. The Airbag frame replacement is pretty straight forward - after you've done it once.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #11

I still think the best fix for this problem is a three-spoke steering wheel!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I still think the best fix for this problem is a three-spoke steering wheel!
Does the 3 spoke wheel include a better airbag frame ? From what I've read, older Boxsters with 3 spoke wheels can have the same issue ?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #13

I did this job yesterday and here are a couple of comments.
I really battled to get the two screws behind the steering loose, but I got them loose in the end. Turned out they were a Torx 27 size and not a Torx 30.

I couldn't get the airbag connector/wire lose so using vice grips and pliers I split/torn the old frame to get it off the wire. On the new frame I mad a cut across the top and feed the wire through and into the middle.

Remember the put the 2 retaining screws in position before tightening the frame, as they don't fit through from behind the steering wheel.

I hope this helps.

James
James_Hatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #14

I had the same issue with the horn randomly honking while stopping or hitting a bump. I experimented and found a very cheap and effective fix that I hop others will use when searching for a solution. I took the bracket off and used a hot glue gun to reinforce/build up the rubber bushings. I made two small beads of hot glue per bushing, one on top of the other while allowing time to dry between. The horn works perfectly and the cost was essentially free. The glue is pliable enough that it mimics the original bushings.
jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #15

Hi All. I just fixed this problem last week. I took the fuse out until the part came in. $70 bucks free shipping on fleabay. I took it aprt about a month ago and put foam pieces in lieu of the gromments. Worked well, but I wanted the original part.
On mine, they were T30 screws. Took about a half hour for removal and installation. I can't believe this part was this flimsy.

'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote