Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #141
I am No. 1348

Garage
I am so sick I waited 33 years to get my first Porsche. The Box is just pure driving pleasure.

What is really interesting is, I don't even have to race at red lights anymore. I've had Mustangs, Camaros, and even a Suby WRX just submit and let me take off with out a challenge. 1st gear launches in the Box are insane. The car seems to get a lot of respect out on the road.

What a machine!

Old 04-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #142

At last

I made the mistake of driving a friend's 2006 Boxter last fall, just before winter settled in. I was hooked. Yesterday, I bought a 2007 with less than 50k and in (seemingly) perfect condition. I drove it the 40 miles home and already have gotten my money's worth from it. I can't wait for summer now. I live in the Adirondacks of NYS very near the Vermont border and the roads here were made for this car.
Apollomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:41 AM   #143
I am No. 1348

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollomoon View Post
I made the mistake of driving a friend's 2006 Boxter last fall, just before winter settled in. I was hooked. Yesterday, I bought a 2007 with less than 50k and in (seemingly) perfect condition. I drove it the 40 miles home and already have gotten my money's worth from it. I can't wait for summer now. I live in the Adirondacks of NYS very near the Vermont border and the roads here were made for this car.
Welcome to the Club and good luck with your new ride. Before moving to Florida, we lived in the lower Hudson Valley by Newburgh and you are correct; those roads are made for the box. I miss driving there. Everything in Fla is straight and flat; not much fun. BUT, at least we get to drive all year!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:34 AM   #144

Driving around London as i do on daily basis i sometimes get frustrated with the car and the manual shift. But then i get on to some back roads out of the city and it reminds me why i always wanted one of these, simply brilliant cars.

The way they get up and go is more than enough for most roads and then when you get to a corner it's a case of how brave you are feeling that day to how fast you go round. You know the car will do it and that's what makes them great, it makes you feel like a proper driver. I know the car has way more talent than me but the smiles per mile are awesome.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #145

On my very first day of owning my black 986S my girlfriend and I drove by our local soccer field with the top down. One of the middle school soccer players yelled "nice Porsche"
I turned to my girlfriend and said. "See what I'm going to have to put up with".
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvogelsan View Post
I love driving both. I owed a 2008 Caymen base, loved it! Now, I have a 2000 Boxster S...guess what? I love it too. My Boxster S is actually faster than the 2008 Caymen. And, the 1st generation Boxster are tiny. In picture, old Boxsters look similar to a Mazda Miata, but when you see one up close, you see the Porsche lines and they no longer look like a Mazda.

I added "Fuche-style" wheels (STARKE SC18), OEM clear lights and custom rear badging. I really like the classy Black and White colorway with a dash of red. Hope you like it too.

The STARKE SC18 are smooth at 90+.
Wow looks amazing, the purity of the original design is really highlighted in the white body. Took my boss out in mine the other day and he commented how dated the interior looked compared to new cars. I reminded him the design is from 1997! I think people forget just how old theses cars are because the exterior design hasn't really dated...... or not as fast as the interiors compared to modern cars. Also reminded him half the junk cars have inside now is nothing to do with driver pleasure
YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
The Cayman S wheels are my favorite wheels on the boxster.
lol Ill cover my 18in Turbo Twists ears as they surely are the best wheels on the boxster and due to being a flowing shape are easy to clean.

Love your wheels tho lol.
YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #148

Moving down the motorway in my Porsche
She's a remapped baby with a decat exhaust
Flat six motor hitting the red line
Won't be a finer sound 'till the end of time
You won't catch me, I'm the king of the road
Fastest thing you've ever seen or heard
Moving down the motorway in my Porsche
She's a remapped baby with a decat exhaust
Oh Yeah!

(from one of my songs)
Ethelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #149

I had the summer tires put on two days ago, and took it out for some 'spirited' driving yesterday. Pure bliss!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #150

Here's a video I made which sums up the title of this thread I think:

https://youtu.be/we1suTQa7_s
Leonardo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #151

The first time I test drove ANY Porsche, the other day, left the dealer, got on it and into 2nd gear, and breathed out a long, "......aaaaaAAAWWWWWWWhHHhhhhh........."* I was hooked. Bought it next day, pick it up tomorrow. Expecting much more "aaaAAWWWHHHHH!"

(*was like an "awwwwww yeaaahh")
wwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #152

I’ve had 911’s for years. Currently have a nice ‘86 3.2 which is a fine car. I bought a higher mileage 2.7 with hardtop several weeks ago just to see if all the positive road tests were true. Since then the 911 has been sitting in the garage and may very well be sold. The Boxster really is a delight in every way. I’m not complaining but I don’t understand the (nearly) giveaway prices. The ims problem is much less common than the tensioner issue that plagued the 911 for years and it can be done with clutch work on a regular basis. I don’t enter freeways in the rain wondering if I’ll be passed by the rear of my car under acceleration. The air conditioning actually works! If I do sell the 911 I plan on buying a second Boxster and making it a track car. It’s like speedsters were years ago-just buy, build and have fun.
Ronjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #153

I’ll pile on and revive the thread a little.

Like lots of guys my age, I grew up with an infatuation with air cooled 911s. I have always lusted after - and admittedly, still lust after - the ‘78-83 911SC. I’ve always loved the lines, the sound, the smell... but never could afford one. My own little kids came along and I put my Porsche love in the bin of forgotten dreams. I still had great cars; my favorites were a couple of BMW 540i sedans. A ‘94 E34 first stole my heart, and then a 2001 E39 540i/6. That’s one of the few cars I still miss sometimes.

Kids grew and the nest emptied. I had a heavily modified Volvo C30/6 that was fun to drive, but my wife despised it. She always complained about the turbo blowoff noise and the obnoxious tuned exhaust note. But the torque and turbo kick from that car was a riot!

Then, late last year she and I went on a foliage drive in the Rockies where we live. We had recently returned from a road trip in a rented BMW convertible and we mused about “how fun it would be to see the leaves with the top down...”

After the drive as we pulled into Frisco, Colorado, I saw a crimson red 986 base and commented to my wife about how affordable those cars are. She asked, “How affordable do you mean?” I made a comment to the effect of, “Well, they’re probably about as cheap as my Volvo.” And that, effectively, was that.

As I do, I started heavily researching all I could about the 986. Strengths, weaknesses, trim options, the Achilles heels (IMS/RMS)... I decided I wanted a 2003-4 986S to get the power and options of the S model with the glass rear window.

I found some forums to do research and came across the one. A 2004 Seal Gray over black S with the manual transmission, as god intended.

The only modification has been addition of a lightweight underdrive pulley and upgrading the US spec springs to the Porsche M030 ROW setup. I have replaced all suspension parts as a matter of maintenance and absolutely love this little car.

46 years was a long time to wait for my first P-car, but it has been worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #154
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Welcome to the tribe and safe travels.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #155

Garage
Welcome! Join PCA, they have nice events and road trips in Colorado
Old 10-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Welcome! Join PCA, they have nice events and road trips in Colorado

That was the first thing I did, even before driving her home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote