Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #81
jakesbox

built a 68 olds cutlass...455 w-30 motor...500 HP, sweet sound. Spent the next 15 years with my wife owning over 25 cars. 2 Miata's...great little car. quick in its own right. had a family, bought a sensible honda accord and an oddysey. nice cars. About a year ago, I told my wife it was time for my son and I to share something that men share...the thrill of a car. Grease, oil, issues, problems, driving , fun, etc. Bought a Vintage Speedster built 356A. 1600CC VW motor with dual carbs. My son and I would sit and stare. Problem was that we couldnt drive it. first off he is 7 so only has lap belts. BUT we did cruise every once in a while around the hood. other main issue was I had to have collector car insurance on it as no one would touch it. Although the car only cost 15,000...it was a VW that was worth really 5,000. But it looked like a 57 porsche and I could not keep people from pics, etc.

Then I sold it. To a guy who owns a few great clips hair places. He ended up using it for advertising. So, I said it is time for something with a little more power. Do I go with a 928? Great ones out there. BUT, too big, too expensive. So, spent an entire 3 weeks online looking at the boxster. God am I glad I did. Found one in ATL...made an offer, flew up on a saturday sight unseen (except pics and carfax) and drove it home 6 hours. I smiled the entire time. 75-90 mph all the way.

First thing I did was detail, wash, wax, get into every single crevous of that car and detailed. what a great car to take care of. Took it to a Porsche Dealer...had oil changed and PPI...no issues at this time.

Yes, I bought the car and DID NOT KNOW about IMS until about 2 days before I went to pick it up. So far no issues and I have put about 1,500 miles on it in the past 2 months...15 miles at a time in the evening going in search of a good stoagie and some head turns. 2002 Seal Grey with 35,000 miles and looks brand new. Texas car originally. I am one of the odd ones. I actually look forward to either 1. having the ceramic IMS installed...or 2. actually having the motor blow, sitting on a gorgeous car and waiting and saving enough to go BIG!!!!

This car has power, looks, lines, and all the bells and whistles I need. Great car.

The only way to answer the thrill of driving for me is to say...Porsche - there is no substitute!

trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #82
imsawidebody

Garage
Pick up my 99 986 boxster tommorow, 2 hour test drive sold me.
imsawidebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #83

Just an update.

I bought my 2001 Boxster S in May of this year and seriously every day I say it at least once that I "just love driving my Boxster".

My Girl friend just shakes here head now and I tend to mutter it under my breath more lately but it IS the most fun ever in a car, except maybe for that time at the drive-in with a girl when......

Beautiful and sexy to the eyes, the growl of the engine is music to the ears, and the G's while maneuvering is pure joy in the seat.

And now I've enrolled in a PCA Performance Driving School in October in San Diego and hard as it is to believe its going to get even MORE fun.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-23-2012 at 12:35 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #84
Murph

1000 miles through Europe

Yesterday I returned from my first road trip with the Boxster or Porky as we all call her at home.

My friend flew into Heathrow from Chicago ORD to accompany me on almost a thousand miles of serious driving from Leicester, UK to Dover, Calais, France, Dunkirk, Rotterdam, Den Haag and Amsterdam, and back.

But first, she needed a bit of TLC - Three hours of washing and waxing with my new Dodo Juice finsh wax from a friend- nailed ever piece of body work with a thick coat, then gently buffed off. (all by hand)

Name:  IMG_0966.JPG
Views: 1920
Size:  228.9 KB

And after, looking tres tres shiny. Name:  IMG_0967.JPG
Views: 1930
Size:  186.6 KB

Many videos taken whilst driving, most unsuitable for this forum due to the frankly staggering language from my Latino friend!! he is very good at swearing.

The car drove 100% solid, no knocks or squeaks, plenty of power all over and after the first 500 or so miles she felt even better! comfortable and fun for the whole three days.

Fuel economy lingered around the 30 mpg point even with my heavy right foot...:dance: how does this compare to yours?

The trip has given me a huge boost in confidence about the car, now for those new brakes......

Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #85

Garage
I just got back from a trip to Reno in my Boxster. On the way home my brother suggested instead of taking the road between Susanville, and Mt. Shasta. I should try hwy 70. Between Quincy , amd Marysville. What a drive down the Feather River Canyon. Nothing but switchbacks for about 70 miles. The road was freshly paved. And it made for some great driving. I'm not sure I've ever had so much fun.
Vinney52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinney52 View Post
I just got back from a trip to Reno in my Boxster. On the way home my brother suggested instead of taking the road between Susanville, and Mt. Shasta. I should try hwy 70. Between Quincy , amd Marysville. What a drive down the Feather River Canyon. Nothing but switchbacks for about 70 miles. The road was freshly paved. And it made for some great driving. I'm not sure I've ever had so much fun.
Not sure you have ever had so much fun??!!!!!

I'm sending you back to do it again then, until you ARE sure!!!!!

70 miles of switchbacks does sound like a bit of a workout though.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #87

Garage
Next summer, on my annual trip to Reno , I will drive this road again, maybe both ways.
Vinney52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #88

Summer is almost here in Sydney and I popped down to my local Raceway to check out the tracks next week I'll be putting this 986 to the test properly :dance:

More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #89

Drove a 2013 Boxster S for the first time last week. Very different from my fist gen 986 Boxster!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #90

I enjoy driving my 2003S since I retired even more. I have no rush to go per schedule. Top down there is nothing like it. Sure I would like more power and other entrapment s but the car is rock ready and the steering is super and the braking super. I love hearing my car when someone else drives away from me. The whine of the engine is spectacular.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #91

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j View Post
I love hearing my car when someone else drives away from me. The whine of the engine is spectacular.
I'll have to take your word for it......I never let anyone else drive it

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
I'll have to take your word for it......I never let anyone else drive it
+1!

I'lll let family drive it, but only if I'm in the car with them.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #93

I think of my Boxster I drive it every day, right thru this last winter with Hankook ice bears. It is solid in snow and rain, the mid engine gives you an uncanny hold of the road.
upfront559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #94
flybird

Garage
The little engine that could!

I have always loved driving all kinds of vehicles. My 2001 Boxster base model is a blast. For such a small power plant this baby screams! It throws me off whenever I hear people say they want more power out of their boxsters. This car is so much fun to throw in and blast out of corners. This car is the real deal when it comes to all around performance! :dance:
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #95

I'm with you Flybird - the 2.7 is more than enough for me and the car is just so incredibly well balanced. After winter storing her for 4 1/2 months, I've only been able (or willing) to take my car out twice in the last couple of weeks due to the lingering cold/snow in this part of the world, but what a joy.....

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #96

took mine for first long trip. 4 hour round trip.
Loved every minute

first time on a motor way with her (2001/S)

I drove the fastest I have ever driven (allegedly)

I might have found a quite stretch with no cars around and took her up to 125mph (but I didnt of course), I could have kept going but started to catch up with people. It felt so smooth.

of course I didnt really do this, that would be illegal
Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #97
Lover of all things bacon

Friday drove the Boxster up to Paso Robles via CA-58. Some very nice twisties as you head over the hill from San Juaquin Valley.

I did this same route in my Mini last year. The mini does better in the tight corners, but the Boxster beats it with outright speed. Also, the Mini comes across as twitchier whereas the Boxster is smoother. At the end of the ride, I felt much more rested in the Boxster than the Mini.

2005 Boxster S
2003 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
LesMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #98

Garage
Many years ago I owned a Fiat X 1/9 and every 16 to 18 year old girl watched me go by. I still have my "65" Austin (Mini) Cooper "S" and females are still the predominate person watching me go by however they are usually 4 or 5 years old and pulling on mommy's skirt while pointing. On my first day of Boxster ownership I attracted a guy in a Shelby Mustang that actually stopped on a 4 lane freeway to try and get me to race and a drop dead gorgeous 30s something woman in a Maserati. The Porsche still attracts gorgeous and idiots.
gj3ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #99

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gj3ny View Post
The Porsche still attracts gorgeous and idiots.
I find that they are not mutually exclusive either.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #100

Well, except when I am stuck in the trafic, it is always a pleasure (for 7 months for me) to drive the 986, especialy on little roads with a lot of turns and no other cars. The best is in the countryside and in the mountains.

But one of my pleasure, is to share my pleasure. So I am always happy to take friends for a trip, and even to give them the opportunity to drive. And I am perhaps still more happy to take children with me (for a safe drive naturally); they are so happy and proud.

I remember, before I bought mine, how nice it was to have the opportunity to travel or drive sport cars of friends.

fundriver is offline   Reply With Quote