Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #101

Q: What's the most important shot in golf?
A: The next one.

I have a friend who obsesses over a missed putt or bad drive from 3 holes ago. He needs to be focused on the shot at hand. Good golf requires concentration.

Same is true in DEs - if you're thinking about the corner you just blew, you're bound to blow the next corner (and probably the one after that). Nothing you
can do about that last corner. You do have control over what happens in the next corner. Don't look back, that's not the direction you're going.

And a related situation - if someone faster than you catches you in a part of the track that you can't let him by, mentally note he's there but then forget him
and focus on what's ahead of you. When you get to a passing zone, pull over and let him by. If you obsess over the person behind you, chances are you're
going to mess up because your focus is misplaced and you don't gain the confidence of the guy behind you.

Go out to YouTube and watch lots of videos when going to a new track. It helps with your mental prep - knowing the track layout, lines thru corners, etc. I
like to find videos of Porsches so I have a feel for gears as well. Just remember not every video is from Hurley Haywood (some are not good).

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 01-16-2016 at 04:30 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #102

Not urgent but at some point I think I'd like to add something like that to my car etui samsung galaxy a9 etui galaxy a9

Last edited by Jolin0322; 01-20-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Jolin0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #103

This picture is helpful
ThrillNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #104
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
If you obsess over the person behind you, chances are you're
going to mess up because your focus is misplaced and you don't gain the confidence of the guy behind you.
This is hard for me to do, but totally necessary!!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:57 AM   #105

what we've learned on the track

In this many replies are good but i want to know more points about boxster and its concepts
deeksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #106
Known Gearhead

Garage
Great thread! I agree with most of it, except the guys who think they need special mirrors.
The past couple of years, I've been doing track days at Thunderhill in Willows, CA, using a heavily modified Miata. Tons O Fun, for sure. The only problem I've had there is Turn 3 where the road's camber is reversed. The Bridgestone RE-11s don't give any clue before they break loose. Would be nice if they made some warning noise. My wife actually got the car sideways at that spot on one of her runs.
I'd like to run my 2004 Boxster S at the track, but the car feels like it needs better shocks and springs, compared to my Miata. I might try the box as-is and see how far off the mark I am before modifying it.
The main thing I've learned at the track is, tires make a huge difference, as does track temperature and tire temperature. Unless it's 100 degrees out there, warm up your tires before pushing the limits. Summer tires on a cold day don't stick as well even after they warm up.
imon_2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:08 AM   #107

Just finished the Skip Barber Advanced Car Control Clinic. Learned a lot and would highly recommend the course, especially for those who currently Race/DE/Autocross or plan to do so in the future.

This was my second time on a skid pad. On my first go-around, I learned how to manage the weight shift after the initial correction, which was a pretty big step forward for me. This time around, after a lot of work and great instruction, I finally progressed to the point where I could start the skid and then drift the car around the entire circle.

The big learning moment for me was to look where you want the car to go -- a throwback to my days on a bike. It's really amazing how your eyes are connected to your hands. Initially, when the skid would start, I focused just off the nose of the car. As soon as I started looking downrange, the car went exactly where I wanted.

After the skid pad work, it was out to the track (Lime Rock), and my ability to turn-in and track-out of each turn was vastly improved. I was also a great deal more confident that I could better manage things if the car went loosey-goosey.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by imon_2nd View Post
Great thread! I agree with most of it, except the guys who think they need special mirrors.
The past couple of years, I've been doing track days at Thunderhill in Willows, CA, using a heavily modified Miata. Tons O Fun, for sure. The only problem I've had there is Turn 3 where the road's camber is reversed. The Bridgestone RE-11s don't give any clue before they break loose. Would be nice if they made some warning noise. My wife actually got the car sideways at that spot on one of her runs.
I'd like to run my 2004 Boxster S at the track, but the car feels like it needs better shocks and springs, compared to my Miata. I might try the box as-is and see how far off the mark I am before modifying it.
The main thing I've learned at the track is, tires make a huge difference, as does track temperature and tire temperature. Unless it's 100 degrees out there, warm up your tires before pushing the limits. Summer tires on a cold day don't stick as well even after they warm up.
My stock 2001 boxster S was a blast at Chuckwalla. Same as you, I drive a car that is heavily modified, but enjoyed the feeling of literally leaning the car in the corners. To the point the inside front wheel wasn't working hard. That is where I was 2 seconds faster without PSM then with PSM. PSM would freak out.

Btw, I wouldn't suggest anyone new to porsche's or rear engine cars to run without PSM. Especially, if they are new to HPDE. The mix of rear weight balance and endless rear traction(265s over 225s in the front.) allowed me to pivot while trail braking. I race a lot of sim racing and I am highly proficient with rear engine cars(maintenance throttle cornering cars) and it translated extremely well into real life.
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer View Post
I can take exception to #4 above. I generally agree and teach my students this also. However there is a slight exception to this general rule. Having worked with pro driving coaches, including riding while they drive, they have taught "rolling the car into the turn". After coming off the brakes they coast for a second into the apex prior to going to the gas for track out. The car is simply carrying so much pace due to not over braking that they can't immediately go to power in the turn.

Attached is a pic of my 986 S taken at Road Atlanta.
How is the balance of your car with no front splitter and the huge wing (nice one by the way)?