Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #61

I am glad I took the time to read this thread. There are a lot of good tips in here.

Especially valuable to me are the ways to reduce the blind spot on the driver's side by putting stickons onto the mirrors. The blind spot is something that really troubles me. I have it ingrained to always turn my head and look before changing lanes instead of just relying on the mirrors. When I do that in my Boxster, like others have mentioned, my vision is blocked by part of the car. I end up turning my while leaning forward as far as I can to try to see out.

The other part of the view I am trying to get used to is that most of the time I can not see beyond the car in front of me. I am used to driving a pickup truck or SUV and I could always see over or through the cars in front of me. I have to compensate in the Boxster by being extra vigilant and ready to break. Having good breaks also helps.

We have all heard the driving rule of leaving a 2 second space between you and the car in front. Unfortunately, that just isn't possible most of the time on the freeways I drive. If you had that much space between you and the car in front someone behind you would try to pass you and get in that gap. Slow down again, the next car will do it. Keep doing it and you'll cause traffic to jam behind you and the other drivers will be flipping you off as they pass you.

Surfncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #62

Surfin, there are mirrors

Porsche sells which are an option that have the outer third of the mirror angled slightly outward to cover the blind spot. Aspheric mirrors were what they were initially called. They clip in and plug in in place of the flat ones and you lose nothing in the defrost area, they work just like stock. Not cheap but they keep you from having to use ugly stick ons.

I liked them so much on my first Boxster I got another pair for my second Boxster.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #63

http://********************************accessories.com/browseproducts/details/90/90/986-boxster/986-boxster-exterior/aspheric-mirror-set.html

These the ones, Mike?
Surfncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #64

Yes

See the white line in the picture about 2/3 of the way out the mirror. That is where the mirror angles. These are my second set.

To install you angle your existing mirrors so you can get your fingers in behind and just pull your existing mirrors off of the knob they attach to inside the housing at its center, the painted housing stays put. Warning, the old mirrors might break...one of mine did...plastic gets brittle with age and they have been sitting out there for years. When the old mirror and its backing are in your hand you unplug the heater wires. Now take the new one, plug in the heater wires and press the backing fingers on the new mirror around the attachment knob and you are done and ready to do the next one. No tools IIRC...it has been 5 years.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #65

Believe it or not I have learned a lot from years of playing car video games.

love'em!
AutoAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #66

I've learned one thing above all else from driving on the track. It's this:

NEVER drive your daily driver on the track, unless you have another mode of transport available.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
I've learned one thing above all else from driving on the track. It's this:

NEVER drive your daily driver on the track, unless you have another mode of transport available.
That sounds like a hard earned lesson!!!

I once hit a curb and rolled my Fiat 124 Spider at an autocross! Broke the left front upright, it folded the wheel under the car and over she went. We had just installed the bolt in roll bar my brilliant father gave me for Christmas. It was my only car and I was 1800 miles from home, in the service. Guess what insurance didn't cover.

I don't know if we can get people to come back to this thread or if we should start another one, but I think it would do well to do some stuff about how to really take advantage of Porsche's ABS system and how to practice using it.

There's just no substitute for familiarity when an emergency situation hits.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #68

Kurt -

don't you really mean NOT using the ABS? i always get better stopping distances at impending lockup. if the abs pulsates ONE time, i'm deep by 3ft.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
Kurt -

don't you really mean NOT using the ABS? i always get better stopping distances at impending lockup. if the abs pulsates ONE time, i'm deep by 3ft.
I agree completely. I had one of the best times ever at BrumosU and went about six inches out of the stopping box because the ABS pulsated once! Out of the box added 5 seconds to your lap time. OUCH!
That, however, does not mean ABS is not an absolute life-saver off the track, especially for all those who have no idea what braking modulation means, let alone how to do it expertly - let alone in weather.
I'm talking about coming up with some exercises that all the forum members can learn and become proficient with using empty parking lots to practice in.
The knowledge of how one can stand on the brakes and still manuever the car can save at least one member's paint job, and maybe save one member or a member of their family.
I think that in itself is worth the time and effort.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #70

Need Help.

I am going to my first racing event with my 2000 base 986 5 speed manual.

The event includes a drag race, AutoX using cones, and a car show. The points earned are added from each event to determine the winner.

Again, this will be my first drag and autox. I am pretty good in GT4 on PS2 and Forza Motorsport on xbox 360, but I have never done it in real life.

In the drag race,
Traction Control On or Off?
What do I rev to before dropping the clutch?
Should I shift at redline, or at an earlier rpm?

In autox.
Traction Control On or Off?
Does the car lose grip easy? Easy to gain control if I over steer? (Assume I have very good Ultra high performance summer tires.)

I will practice before the event to see where the limits are, but I want to know what you guys have to say from your experiences.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #71

drag race:

TC off

rev to 4k and let of the gas as you quicly release the clutch. as the clutch catches, get back on the throttle & modulate

auto-x

TC off

car is easy to catch if it starts to step out. get into 2nd gear quickly & leave it there; don't mess w/ shifting once you're underway. with autocross, shortest path tends to win the day, so don't get too creative with your lines.

you will beat 70% of the back just by KNOWING THE COURSE, so walk it, drive it in your mind, walk it again.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #72

Great advice from Insite - M96!
Again, shortest route is usually the quickest route and drive it in your mind over and over. 2nd gear has plenty of torque without so much wheelspin.
Don't eat anything that day, either. Do some energy bars to keep your cals up, but don't eat a meal.
Hungry people are aggressive people! (that's a trick straight from Brian Redman!)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #73

So I pulled my handbrake driving about 15mph to test how strong they are.
I heard a loud pop and nothing happened. The car did not slow down and the brakes did nothing. However, when i park on a hill and pull the hand brake up, it holds the car in place.

Any ideas why the hand brake did nothing? Why the loud pop noise? Did Porsche do something to keep people from pulling the hand brake up while driving?

I am asking this question in this thread because I thought people might have tried pulling the hand brake on the track.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #74

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96
So I pulled my handbrake driving about 15mph to test how strong they are.
I heard a loud pop and nothing happened. The car did not slow down and the brakes did nothing. However, when i park on a hill and pull the hand brake up, it holds the car in place.

Any ideas why the hand brake did nothing? Why the loud pop noise? Did Porsche do something to keep people from pulling the hand brake up while driving?

I am asking this question in this thread because I thought people might have tried pulling the hand brake on the track.
Using the handbrake to do a 180 spin I broke 2 of the parking brake shoe retaining springs. $30. ea.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #75
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
ProjectM96,

Unlike most other cars out there, Porsche did not design our e-brake to work with the main rear rotors and pads. There's actually a separate set of small shoes that use the inside of the rotor as a drum, so it really is more of a parking brake than anything, and it's not really up to the duty of swinging this car around like other cars, as BYprovider pointed out.

I wouldn't recommend making a habit of doing that, and DON'T use it on track days or after you've been beating on your brakes, street or track. The shoes can lock up against the hot metal, and the same goes for your pads on the rotors. If you come to a complete stop and leave the pads in contact with hot rotors, they can leave a little deposit of pad material on the rotors that will rub each time they revolve until it wears back down.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #76

Re:

Thanks for sharing the post.Keep it up.
rambo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #77
flybird

Garage
Move

This is really good stuff! I love this forum! Not sure if this was brought up yet but don't get lazy in the seat while driving. When dealing with blind spots or when unsure about a situation don't be assuming anything as far as your surroundings, move arround in your seat if you need a better view or angle.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
at least the 986 versions. I've had 2 of them on each of my Boxsters.

The first set I found was actually convex in shape. The second set had two panels, the outboard one slanted more to cover the blind spot.

They mount by you just pulling the current mirror out of the socket where it mounts and then unclipping the heater cord, then clipping to the new mirror and pressing it in to the socket.

I wouldn't drive a Boxster without this blind spot coverage. And the nice thing about the Porsche asymmetric mirrors are they are completely stock looking and acting plus you get the wide angle coverage you need..
Mike, do you have a link for purchase of these mirrors.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #79

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Mike, do you have a link for purchase of these mirrors.
I got mine from Suncoast.

Aspheric Mirror Upgrade:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #80

Thanks, but what I'm looking for is a one piece convex, just like the passenger side mirror.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000