Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #1

What can I do with this center cap?

I want to replace this 3" center cap with a blank center or Porsche crest. What can I do with this 3" cap? Do I need to find something specific for this wheel, use a decal, or will a generic cap work?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #2

Good question Rob.
Do you have an original center to see if the Porsche center fits? You can get painted crest centers from Suncoast Porsche, and several others, but first you have to see if they fit these wheels.
If not, and you want to go with blank centers, check if the wheel company has them. If not, I'm sure you can find a local machine shop to make you four plain aluminum centers.
When you go to the machine shop, don't use the P word, or they'll charge you three to four times normal cost.......
Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #3

I second what Quickurt suggested. Go to a local indie Porsche shop...they have old ones laying around to compare size. Once you check sizing, you can order crest caps from a number of sources. Hopefully, you don;t need to have them made. I lost a cap on my 911s Fikse wheels and they wanted $50 for a replacement. I took the rest off to match; problem solved.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 AM   #4

Do I need anything special to remove them?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 AM   #5

Suggestions

Rob, is this a set of Drift-R wheels? Can you sand the cap smooth, paint and either add a decal or small crest not unlike the crest on your airbag? Wheels look good.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #6

Hey just FYI, I was looking at my extra set of Cayenne wheels yesterday and decided to take the caps off it. I tried it on my Boxtser and it fits perfectly. I like the coloured crests on the Cayenne ones more than the original Boxster ones.

Back to the topic at hand, if you want a cheap alternative you can probably buy some porsche decals to place over your existing caps but I think buying a real set of Fleabay or a forum member for $60-100 would be the best option (if they fit).

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ
Do I need anything special to remove them?
MOst centers just push out from the inside toward the outside, so you'll probably have to remove a wheel. Some have set screws, or other locking devices so look at them carefully before forcing anything.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #8

I needed to take the wheels off to remove the caps from the inside. They are exactly 3 in. I tried to fit the Porsche caps from my stock 17" wheel but they are too large in diameter by maybe a mm. I ordered paint, primer, and clear from Paintscratch.com for my bumperettes so I'll likely just sand, prime, and paint the caps to match the Arctic Silver.