986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   porsche preferred lease? Used car?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/17539-porsche-preferred-lease-used-car.html)

23109VC 07-14-2008 11:00 AM

porsche preferred lease? Used car??

I've posted threads here of my ongoing search for a fun car. I looked at the s2000 and rx8 as cheaper alternatives. After driving my dad's 2000 2.7 once again (right after the other cars) I now have decided I am going to get a boxstsr or nothing at all. The other cars we okay but none of them are as fun as the boxstsr!

I'm starting to research just how cheap I can find a CPO boxstsr for

Most dealers seem to have 2006 and 2007 used ones and the cheapest I saw was 37000 or so. I went online and saw an 03 that was 24999.

I then saw on the Porsche site the "preferred lease" and it says you can lease cars up to five model years old

If I bought used, I would probably try to sell before the waranty expired so why not just lease a low mileage used one and turn it in when the warranty is up?

Are the terms on these preferred leases of used cars terrible? I haven't had a dealer run numbers

I was hoping it might be a bit cheaper way to get into a used boxstsr and have a warranty
thanks

Burg Boxster 07-14-2008 11:53 AM

I can't speak specifically for Porsche leases new or used but.........

Generally speaking, leasing is not a wise financial move unless you can write it off in a business. Basically, you're paying interest / usage fees on the leased value of the vehicle as well as for wear, tear, and depreciation during time you'll have it. As well, you're paying interest on residual value of the vehicle since the entire amount of principal (total cost of vehicle) is tied up while you lease it.

Furthermore, some states treat leases differently w/ surcharges, etc. w/ regards to sales tax. In PA, it's an extra 3% (on top of either 6% or 7% depending on where you live). PA 'feels' you're denying them the entire sales tax amount they would otherwise get on the full value of the vehicle if you bought it outright. TX makes you pay sales tax on the entire value of the vehicle (capitalized cost) - basically treating it as though you bought it regardless of lease term.

At the end of a lease you have nothing to show for all you're payments. Any improvements/mods/etc. must be removed as vehicle needs to be returned to stock as it was given to you :o

Again, unless you can write off the cost of the lease as a business expense, most of the time (like 98% +), it does not make sense to lease as opposed to buying and financing. Of course there are some exceptions where the leases are subsidized by the mfg (or financing arm of the) - BMW is known to do this.

There are some online lease vs buy calculators to show you the difference if you leased or bought and financed a said vehicle.

Good luck :)

Quickurt 07-14-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23109VC
I've posted threads here of my ongoing search for a fun car. I looked at the s2000 and rx8 as cheaper alternatives. After driving my dad's 2000 2.7 once again (right after the other cars) I now have decided I am going to get a boxstsr or nothing at all. The other cars we okay but none of them are as fun as the boxstsr!

I'm starting to research just how cheap I can find a CPO boxstsr for

Most dealers seem to have 2006 and 2007 used ones and the cheapest I saw was 37000 or so. I went online and saw an 03 that was 24999.

I then saw on the Porsche site the "preferred lease" and it says you can lease cars up to five model years old

If I bought used, I would probably try to sell before the waranty expired so why not just lease a low mileage used one and turn it in when the warranty is up?

Are the terms on these preferred leases of used cars terrible? I haven't had a dealer run numbers

I was hoping it might be a bit cheaper way to get into a used boxstsr and have a warranty
thanks

I may be wrong, and you guys jump on me with both feet , if I am :D but I believe the max TIME on a CPO car is 6 years from delivery date, and 100k miles. So even though you get a CPO 2003 car, it would run out on the delivery date in 2009, regardless of miles.
It's up to individual preferences, but I would be looking for 987 anyway.
I've seen some pretty interesting numbers on 05 base models.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=203153312&dealer_id=96639&car_ year=2005&num_records=25&model=BOXSTE&systime=&mak e2=&start_year=1999&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsr ep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=y&body_cod e=0&fuel=&search_type=certified&distance=0&marketZ ipError=false&search_lang=en&make=POR&color=&keywo rds_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearch form&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&posi tion=top&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=price ASC&address=32218&advanced=&end_year=2008&transmis sion=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=285

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=245110136&dealer_id=57350670&c ar_year=2005&model=BOXSTE&num_records=25&systime=& make2=&start_year=1999&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&k eywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=y&fuel= &body_code=0&search_type=certified&distance=0&mark etZipError=false&search_lang=en&first_record=26&ma ke=POR&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=find acar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_ sort=priceDESC&position=top&max_mileage=&style_fla g=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=32218&advanced=&end _year=2008&pager.offset=25&doors=&transmission=&ma x_price=&cardist=2343

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=246967622&dealer_id=66939&car_ year=2006&model=BOXSTE&num_records=25&systime=&mak e2=&start_year=1999&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keyw ordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=y&fuel=&bo dy_code=0&search_type=certified&distance=0&marketZ ipError=false&search_lang=en&first_record=26&make= POR&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findaca r%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sor t=priceDESC&position=top&max_mileage=&style_flag=1 &sort_type=priceASC&address=32218&advanced=&end_ye ar=2008&pager.offset=25&doors=&transmission=&max_p rice=&cardist=2084

23109VC 07-15-2008 06:25 AM

Its six years 100k from the date the car went into service BUT it always has a minimum of 2 years and 100 k

So if it was an 03 bought in 08 you would get two years

So if the numbers worked out lease that car for two years then no warranty problems

I don't mind regular Maine and brakes and tires. But the idea of an ims failure and a 11 k bill is not something I want to deal with