Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #1

Best outdoor car cover...

I need opinions on who makes the best outdoor car cover.. I am going to be storing my car outside for most of the winter, and I need to pickup the best possible car cover.

Any experience and opinions would be awesome!

Thanks,
Eric

HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #2

I've got the Porsche out-door cover. It fits like a glove. I paid $175 and it came with a lock and cable. It's silver on the outside... fuzzy and soft on the inside, and really couldn't fit the car any tighter than it does (this is a good thing). I use it every time I park it at home (even though the car is in the garage). It helps deflect the beer bottles when the neighbors from the flat upstairs wheel the recycling out of the garage in between the cars.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #3

I've had them all at one time or another (except for the Porsche cover). The two I like best are the Evolution IV and the Noah.

The Evolution IV is a good all weather cover. It's a big, bulky thing, so storing it will take up one whole trunk. The thing I like about that is that it's very thick, thus guarding against door dings and other impacts.

The Noah is a newer generation cover. Also for all weather applications, it is four layers, but it's very light and compact. It has a waterproof outer layer, a thin foam middle and a soft lining that protects your paint.

Neither of these covers can be washed in the washer. It ruins them. Ask me how I know.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #4

I use the Porsche silver cover. I have two that I bought second hand. I rotate them when I clean them.

I drive my car year round, except in snow and when there is salt on the road so the car has to be accessible. I usually throw a tarp over the car and Porsche cover when I'm expecting rain or snow. The Porsche cover isn't completely water proof.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:57 AM   #5

grizzly, sounds like the noah is the best bet? how do you rate it for the cold/outdoor elements?

also - got a recommended vendor? I'll be leaving my box outside in the snow and cold for up to 2 weeks at a time when I travel.
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:30 AM   #6

Hopefully this is not too off topic but speaking of covers, I want one for just the top (aka bikini top), which I can use to cover the soft top in my dusty parking lot - any suggestions?
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #7

I bought the Silverguard Plus and I like it alot. The absolute best IMHO is the one that I regretted not ordering which is the Coverking Stormproof. Not coatings, chemicals or anything to wear off....Is made of a special textile fabric that will basically last forever....I know of 3 people who bought them after I ordered my SG Plus and they are incredible.... No affiliation obviously, but here is a link:

http://www.coverkingcarcovers.com/Coverking-Stormproof.html

HTH
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:29 AM   #8

Would I say the Noah is the best bet? Actually, I guess it depends on your needs, but I prefer the Evolution IV. If you don't mind the size and weight of it, I think it is more weather resistant and it provides some measure of protection against impacts. When I'm working on a project in the garage, I will sometimes leave a couple of cars outside for an extended period of time. Regardless of how many times I ask the neighborhood kids to not bike, scooter, skateboard or run around the cars in the driveway it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #9

Hello All,

It is getting time for me to order a car cover. Note - My car will be outdoors in the frigid northeast cold.

I am putting the Noah at the top of my list, but I am still open to suggestions. Since I am lazy, I definetly need a cover that is fairly light and relatively easy to take on/off because I will be driving my car during the winter.

Anybody have some good vendor recommendations as well? I'd like to keep this as cheap as possible!

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #10

I just looked at Noah pricing from my three favorite sources for you:

AutosportCatalog.com is cheapest at $177.00

Griot's Garage came in second at $189.00

California Car Cover Company was most expensive at $199.00

Good Hunting.

Last edited by Grizzly; 11-05-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #11

i use Porsche silver ever now and then when i have to park in certain spots in my garage its a little thicker so it keeps from it getting scratched from people walking close by with purses or whatever (i live in condo),but im not sure how good it is for outside cold/wet weather conditions since i never park outside.
i've also heard from a few buddies that Noah is great so that actually might be a better choice if the car is gonna be outside in rain, snow and cold.
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I just looked at Noah pricing from my three favorite sources for you:

AutosportCatalog.com is cheapest at $177.00

Griot's Garage came in second at $189.00

California Car Cover Company was most expensive at $199.00

Good Hunting.
Sweet - 1 vendor I found was in the 200's and another was somewhere in your range. I like the autosportcatalog price

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #13

I'm in the market for a cover as well...something light to throw on in my dusty parking lot at work. Odds are there are some on ebay but I'll stay away from the no-name ones.

And I am also looking for a bikini top cover (to use with the top up & down) - suggestions?

Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote