986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Pics of custom fiberglass subwoofer enclosure installed (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/11207-pics-custom-fiberglass-subwoofer-enclosure-installed.html)

Cloudsurfer 05-14-2007 04:59 PM

Pics of custom fiberglass subwoofer enclosure installed

Here is the information and rough images for the 986/996 JL Audio 8W0 subwoofer install:

Enclosure: Custom formed fibereglass enclosure with proper calculated volume and contoured to fit perfectly into the floor. Carpeted to match any interior color. Note: does require cutting the factory carpeting.

Driver: JL Audio 8W0 8" subwoofer, 4 ohm load.

Grill: Custom powder coated steel grill and carpeted surround.

The shop is producing an initial run of these, and these will be available for initial order priced at $499 which includes the enclosure, mounting hardware, driver, and grill. Basically, this is a plug and play (as plug as play as you're going to get) system to get excellent bass into your 986 or 996. As can be seen from the contour of the enclosure, footwell space is minimally affected due to its design, and even proper airflow of the heater duct is maintained.

http://firstshotstudios.com/images/porsche/sub1.jpg

http://firstshotstudios.com/images/porsche/sub2.jpg

http://firstshotstudios.com/images/porsche/sub3.jpg

Please PM me for details or for ordering information.

Patrick

djomlas 05-14-2007 06:16 PM

can you post a pic from a bit far away and not that close into the speaker?
thx

Cloudsurfer 05-14-2007 06:19 PM

DJ-

Certainly. These were just rough quick pics I grabbed at the shop today. The car is getting detailed the next few days and then we are doing a full shoot and I'll have plenty of pics from various angles, and you can see the rest of the system install.

Patrick

ROMES 05-14-2007 10:05 PM

this include the sub or no?

FIG 05-15-2007 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROMES
this include the sub or no?

"The shop is producing an initial run of these, and these will be available for initial order priced at $499 which includes the enclosure, mounting hardware, driver, and grill." ;) :)

Chills 05-15-2007 04:49 AM

Wow, Patrick that looks great. The guys who wanted to do an enclosure for me were going to take up the entire footwell. I like your setup a lot.

Cloudsurfer 05-15-2007 06:07 AM

Yes, these include the sub itself. This is a calculated enclosure volume, and did not take up the entire footwell because it is fiberglassed to gain a lot of volume from the irregularities in the floor.

Like I said, I will have more pics of the install once we do the actual photo shoot this week.

Patrick

FrayAdjacent 05-15-2007 07:55 AM

Looks pretty good so far! The box in my passenger footwell isn't angled in the corner like that.. and I still haven't looked into filling that space. I'm thinking about finding a decent amp to run all of the speakers that will allow me to tweak the sound stage (crossover), with good power, but not TOO much.

http://www3.zoto.com/frayadjacent/im...926694e482.jpg

Dang PO ripped out the sub, and tore up the 'face plate' that was over that enclosure. I still haven't measured the diameter of the hole...

rkwei 05-15-2007 08:49 AM

Patrick,
I hope you can be neutral on this from a selling perspective (i.e. no PM on ordering information). Sharing info and pics are fine but I'd prefer that you just mentioned the shop's name and let forum members contact the shop if they are interested in a purchase.

Thanks,
RKwei

Cloudsurfer 05-15-2007 11:33 AM

Fray-

Not to sound insulting, but the work your PO did on that box is horrible. First of all, it absolutely is not sealed, which is a particular problem in that it is neither sealed nor correctly ported. Seconly, the quality of fabrication looks to be especially poor. Thirdly, it appears that no attention was paid at all to calculating cabinet volume. No matter what you put in there, it is never going to sound good.

I would either take it to a good audio shop and let them see what they can salvage of the install, which might involve fiberglassing what is there in to seal it properly, though you'd still have a huge amount of lost footwell space, or look into something like I have, whether you purchase it as a complete solution from the shop that did mine, or have a local shop custom fab it for you.

Just my $.02.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer 05-15-2007 11:36 AM

Rkwei-

If anyone would like to contact the shop directly for information on ordering, they can be reached at the following address:

The Stereo Shop
40 Jay Scutti Blvd
Rochester NY 14623
585-424-1820

Call and ask for Chuck, making reference that Patrick told you to contact him and it is regarding the Porsche 986/996 sub enclosures.

Patrick

rkwei 05-15-2007 01:06 PM

Patrick,
Thanks much.

FrayAdjacent 05-15-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm750
Fray-

Not to sound insulting, but the work your PO did on that box is horrible. First of all, it absolutely is not sealed, which is a particular problem in that it is neither sealed nor correctly ported. Secondly, the quality of fabrication looks to be especially poor. Thirdly, it appears that no attention was paid at all to calculating cabinet volume. No matter what you put in there, it is never going to sound good.

I would either take it to a good audio shop and let them see what they can salvage of the install, which might involve fiberglassing what is there in to seal it properly, though you'd still have a huge amount of lost footwell space, or look into something like I have, whether you purchase it as a complete solution from the shop that did mine, or have a local shop custom fab it for you.

Just my $.02.

Patrick

Hey, I agree with you. I'm just glad the floormat completely covers it, so it's not an eyesore to me. Since the carpet's already cut up down there, I think I'll stick with that location for a sub... and maybe go with something like yours.

Once I have some money to play with all that stuff... I also still need to pull up the dash speakers (driver's side dash keeps cutting out) and see if they're the original speakers or upgrades.

Cloudsurfer 05-15-2007 05:43 PM

Below is a more complete view of the footwell, showing how much footwell space remains:

http://firstshotstudios.com/images/porsche/sub4.jpg

Fray-

Good luck in "fixing" your situation there, that could take some work.

Patrick

jackhoff 05-16-2007 03:45 PM

looks great, as i mentioned before im VERY interested in this. Which amp do you have running it? and im looking forward to more pictures....im pretty much set on it

Cloudsurfer 05-16-2007 03:48 PM

I am running mine off an Audison LRX giving it 300 watts. For a "normal" car install (my car is a showpiece for a high end audio shop) something around 150 WPC would be great, and you could look into a small amp from JL, Zapco, etc. Call the shop with details, and yes we'll have pics after the shoot.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer 05-23-2007 08:46 PM

Here are final pics from the photo shoot of the sub installed:

Patrick

chaudanova 05-23-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm750
Here are final pics from the photo shoot of the sub installed:

Patrick

looks pretty good! nice leggers too ;)

djomlas 05-23-2007 09:17 PM

legroom looks like is uncompromised. clean install :cheers: