Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 06:55 PM   #1

Fall Run

OK - been very slow this season.

Let's get the gang together for the annual Fall Foliage run. Since Charle's departure things have been a liitle slow. Ad attempted to get an early run up to Equinox that never came together. Hopefully we can get the fires going again.

Last year we really hit the colors at the right time the weekend of 10/9-10. I propose the same time. If people would prefer the Sat over the Sun please let us now. The lunch spot at Equinox worked out quite well last year and I think we should go for that again.

Should we do the same route???

I have no problem doing it. Could use a liitle help remapping the route.

Here's a bit of last year's post concerning meeting places.

Departing From:
McDonalds in Ayer, MA, 9:30 AM
To get to McDonalds, take Route 2 West to 110 North. Drive 2.2 miles, you'll see McDonalds off the rotary. We'll park on the left side. Please arrive with at least 3/4 tank of gas.

Itinerary:
Rt 2 to western ma, join ESBB just west of the I-91 intersection at approximately 10:45, 12:30 lunch at the Marsh Tavern in the Equinox Hotel (will be warmer than the open Dormy Grill last year) in Manchester VT, Mt Equinox drive (bring $6 or $8 cash for the toll), loop through some back roads (should include a covered bridge) and back via 91 and Route 2.

If anyone would like to assist in the planning please let me know. Love some input for the route.

-Rey

ReyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:03 PM   #2

Rey -

I'm wondering if peak colors might be the earlier weekend?
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:18 AM   #3

Ad,

I was kind of thinking the same thing but stuck to last year's plan.

I would have no problem moving it up a week. Maybe I should make lunch reservations for both weekends just in case.

What does everyone think?

-Rey
Old 09-11-2004, 11:10 AM   #4

I think you can try for both weekends (10/2-3 or 10/9-10) to start with depending on foliage reports/ forecasts and participant voting. It wouldn't hurt to book reservations on both weekends for lunch. It might be better for a Saturday vs Sunday because of the long day involved and not having to get up for work the next day
Here's a link to Vermont Fall Foliage reports that gets updated frequently. http://www.1-800-vermont.com/seasons/report.asp

I will scan and post an area map of Mt. Equinox and surrounding roads for everyone to ponder in the near future.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:12 PM   #5

Ok here's a long post...
First pic shows the toll road up to Equinox Mt. off Rt 7A heading North from MA Rt2.

The next 2 pics depict 2 suggested Routes to get there and head back. The first one is questionable due to the uncertainty of having the road that goes East-West between Arlington and West Wardsboro being PAVED?
As a "plan B" Route, the second pic shows a longer, but certain path.

The remaining map pics show in more detail the roads that can be accessed as well as their curves and elevations
Also note covered bridge locations (if they're still standing)

Old 09-13-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
Forum Member

saturday the 9th work for me, sunday the 10th doesn't i have a dentist appointment on the 2nd, sunday the third works ...i would think we could even go as early as sept 25 , i think the trees are already starting to change

Last edited by Kevin365; 09-13-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Kevin365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:11 AM   #7

The 9th would be a better day for me. Love to take a ride up there and make it a weekend.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:12 PM   #8

Both of the first two weekends work for Dori and I at this point. The second weekend is the long Columbus Day weekend which will greatly increase the traffic volume for the drive. Something to consider in the planning as this usually means that the Bennington and Brattleboro bottlenecks back up for miles around the crossroads.
BrianF1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #9

I think we're going to have to go with 10/2 based on the foliage forecast and the Columbus weekend conflicts.

I know this won't worl out for everyone but hopefully we'll still have a good turnout. I'll make reservations at the Marsh Tavern at the Equinox Hotel. Based on our timing from last year I may push the lunch time out to 1PM. We've had a hard time making the earlier times.

We'll work on route and fine tune things shortly.

Hope everyone can make it or adjust schedules to make it.

-Rey
Old 09-16-2004, 03:01 PM   #10

Busy in NYC 10/2 - post me a photo if you can
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 03:54 PM   #11
Forum Member

Will be in Colorado that weekend...was hoping for the weekend of 10/9 and 10/10. Maybe next ride! Definitely do post photos following the ride; I've got some great ones from last fall!
boxstergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:07 PM   #12

Rey,
Why don't we try for Sat 10/9 since most replies can make that date? Maybe leave colors will be optimal more to the Northern areas at that time keeping roads open to the South? I'm game for 9/25, 10/2, or 10/9, depending on weather, traffic, and majority vote!
A question to you and others is: What's the priority for this run? Spirited driving, leaf peeping, or both?
I think each priority will decide the date to go for
Old 09-16-2004, 08:29 PM   #13

OK - Let's change the run date to 10/9. I'll move the lunch reservation.

Just looks like we'll get a better turnout the following week. The colors should still be pretty good.

-Rey
Old 09-17-2004, 04:31 AM   #14
Forum Member

Yes Yes Yes

thank you thank you ...im in!
Kevin365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 04:16 PM   #15

Rey, Am I to suppose from the timing of the leave time to the Lunch reservation, that the run up is about 3 hrs? Need to make sure I can fit everything in my plans in..

Rick in MD (ESBB)
Rick in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick in MD
Rey, Am I to suppose from the timing of the leave time to the Lunch reservation, that the run up is about 3 hrs? Need to make sure I can fit everything in my plans in..

Rick in MD (ESBB)
Rick,

Last year it took us approx 2 hrs to get to the lunch spot from the Western MA meet point. We got snagged in traffic in Brattleboro, VT if I recall correctly. This included a bio relief rest stop.

Sure hope you can make it. I'm working on the final itinerary/route as I type this. I never actually did this part of it in the past and am working from memory of our drives the past couple of years where I just followed and enjoyed and never really payed attention to the routes.

Sure hope you can make it!

-Rey
Old 09-30-2004, 09:42 AM   #17

We will see. As long as I have enough time to get back for my HS Reunion, which is the reason I'm up there for, then I will try my best to make it. However if from a time standpoint, I don't have enough time, then I may have to bail.

According to what you said earlier, we are meeting in Ayer? Yes?

Rick in MD (ESBB)
Rick in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #18

Rick,

I assume you have a HS Reunion the evening of the drive?

We have to be back not too late on Sat to do something as well. I would actually like to start a little earlier if possible but I'm not sure how that would sit with all the ESBB folks that are driving up.

The first meet point is in Ayer and the second out near Greenfield.

-Rey
Old 09-30-2004, 12:14 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Damn, I don't get back into the area until the 13th of October...I would LOVE to meet up for this. The Boxster will be sitting in the garage not even 150 miles from this trip, but I'm down here in Alabama.

Have fun, takes lots of pictures, and post like crazy when you get back so we can see how much fun it is.

Anyone in the south want to plan a meet in the next few months? I will be in Columbus Mississippi...is there even anyone IN the south? (Just a little bitter about moving from the North East...I'll get over it. :-) )

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #20

How are you all doing? I am planning on driving up for the yearly run. As long as my car can make it. I can hear some squeaking in the rear suspension whenever I brake hard and have not had a chance to get it looked at.

I believe Kevin will be driving up as well. Im just worried about the traffic due to the holiday weekend. I remember last year we kept getting stuck behind slow drivers. On the mountain I had this slow old lady driving in front of me and she wouldnt let me pass. She would veer toward the center whenever I tried. I think she held up our whole group the first time up.