Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2004, 12:55 PM   #1

How I turned lemons into Lime Rock

My parents have been traveling the country in their Holiday Rambler RV for about two months when early last week it suffered some suspension damage while in Woodstock, NY. They were staying in a hotel until Friday morning when the RV would be ready to roll again. The several days it took to repair the RV put them behind schedule and unable to make their intended destination before the 4th of July weekend. They began to worry about where they were going to stay as all the campsites for the extended weekend had been reserved long ago.

When they called me for advice I jumped into action like a good son would. I immediately checked the driving distance between Woodstock and Lime Rock. A grand total of 58 miles as it turned out, a little more than an hour. I then called Lime Rock to confirm RV parking availability and low and behold fifteen spaces still available. In a little less than an hour on Thursday evening I had succeeded on saving my parents weekend, maintained my #1 son status and secured a myself a front row seat at the ALMS for four days (Fri – Mon) with accommodations for the price of a weekend pass ($80.00).

This was my not my first race but was the first time I have camped an entire weekend at a racetrack. I met a lot of great people, race fans and even a few drivers that spent the weekend in the RV area. I would highly recommend staying at the races for the weekend to anyone who enjoys BBQ’s, beer, Frisbee, touch football, cars and racing.

The 4th of July was quiet (no racing on Sundays @ Lime Rock) and I was bummed out about that at first, but as the day rambled along it gave everyone some time to make new friends and reconnect with old ones.

If the ALMS is going to be held again there next year I am going to rent an RV for the weekend and book myself a site. A group trip would have made it that much better.

I have attached some pictures

K_Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #2

More Pictures

Flying Lizard Motorsports
Old 07-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #3

More

Ferrari Mishap ( Ferrari won the GT class, first time since 2001 that Porsche did not win a GT class in a race)
Old 07-06-2004, 01:12 PM   #4

More

Mazda Star Series on Saturday
Old 07-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #5

Anyone know how to post multiple pictures?

The Racer's Group in tandem
Old 07-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Terrific story and pictures, Ken.

Did you find Rey and Juliette at any point?

-Charlie
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:06 PM   #7

No, I did not see them Monday

There were a lot of people there Monday though so it probably would have taken a lot of luck for that to happen. There is no cell phone or wireless modem service out there so I did not have a chance to address Rey's email.

I could not talk to anyone outside my immediate yelling range for the entire weekend. Reception was lost for about 25 miles surrounding the park. Some people could get service, I think they were on AT & T. I have a Nextel phone and a Nextel Wireless Modem for the laptop and both were useless.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #8

Outstanding event, really good pictures, I guess you made "Key Lime pie".

Thanks, very well done on the pictures...

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:55 AM   #9

Ken,

Juliette & I couldn't make the race. Looks and sounds like you had a great time! Glad you could help out your folks too. I watched the race on SpeedTV and it looked great. I love watching racing at LRP. So many great vantage points.

-Rey
ReyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #10

Great pictures!

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote