Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 07:29 AM   #1

'Passport' Radar Detector Install

- Details -
Select a location for your radar detector. I used the top of the windshield, right of the mirror to mount the detector.

Remove the right side sun visor. Loosen the top right side 'A' pillar moulding cover, and run the 4-cond 'telephone' style cable from the detector, under the leading egde of the top molding, through and under the area where the visor was, and down the right side of the 'A' pillar. I used a smoothed flat piece of wood to slide the cable under the moulding.

It's pretty easy to then run this cable along and behind the under dash area, into the area behind the head unit.

I am modifying the one false buttons on top of the switch area, left side of the head unit.
Again it's easy to remove this bezel and pop out the false button.
I modifed the button face to add in 2 LED's and a swiitch, the same way I did the grage door button.

I built a passort 'SmartCord' circuit from this schematic.

The green LED is the 'power on' I like the green better than trying to find a yello/amber LED to match the boxster lighting.
The large clear LED actually isa very bright Red LED that flashes when a radra signal is detected.

Here is a detail of the back of the button in place, showing the passport 'SmartCord' circuit.

Wire it to the 'switched' power cables, again from the fuse box(on a separate fuse from the 'switched' power area of the fuse box.)

Clem-Clone is offline   Reply With Quote