Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
495 fun car

coolant leak/disc valve leaking--modified valve

About a year ago I replaced my disc valve (aka connector valve) that is inline with coolant flow to the transmission (tiptronic). It started leaking last week so I ordered a new one. It's all plastic, so predictably it's a weak point. Since I had a new one on order, I broke down my old one and discovered what might be the common reason for leaks. The glue seam was not consistent and as you can see in my photo there is a point where the seam is very thin. I
put a generous amount of epoxy on the seam and put it back together. Then I put a bead of epoxy along the exterior seam. I hope this works. It's not an expensive part, but I don't like the idea of getting stranded because of a a simple and preventable fault. I'm curious to know if anyone has upgrade their disc valve with a similar fix.

TPISP495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #2

I replaced mine and pondered your Idea, but I don't trust epoxy when dealing with dissimilar plastics.
It was the one repair I literally did blind and with one hand behind my back. Lol

Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control valve , disc valve , tiptronic control valve , vacuum control valve