Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 04:32 PM   #1

DIY: Remove/Reseal Engine Oil Pan

Made another. Found some bad stuff in the pan

https://youtu.be/ELp2bGs3czA

2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:57 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Hey, Aaron! Great vid... and great sound!

I pulled mine a couple years ago and, with ~115K on it emerged very clean with the exception of some gasket on the pickup. No biggy.

Reapplying the bead was a pain in the butt. Before I reinstalled the pan I purchased 4 bolts, thread matching, and cut off the heads. I used those bolts to line up the pan so it wouldn't move around when pressing the pan into place. Straight up... no wiggling... then started screwing in the other screws. No messy bead.

It appears that the plastic is fromn chain guides. The metal? Out of my league.

Keep up the great vids. Thanks!!!
Old 04-06-2020, 05:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Hey, Aaron! Great vid... and great sound!

I pulled mine a couple years ago and, with ~115K on it emerged very clean with the exception of some gasket on the pickup. No biggy.

Reapplying the bead was a pain in the butt. Before I reinstalled the pan I purchased 4 bolts, thread matching, and cut off the heads. I used those bolts to line up the pan so it wouldn't move around when pressing the pan into place. Straight up... no wiggling... then started screwing in the other screws. No messy bead.

It appears that the plastic is fromn chain guides. The metal? Out of my league.

Keep up the great vids. Thanks!!!
Thanks man! Still waiting on the mic to come in, then the audio should be stepped up a notch

That seems to be the consensus on the plastic, and the metal is still the mystery. It has been pointed out by others that the IMS would be ferrous, so I’m pretty sure that’s not the issue here.
2015 Ninja 300
Old 04-06-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Nicely done. Once again a very instructive video.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Nicely done. Once again a very instructive video.
Thank you!
2015 Ninja 300
Old 04-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Thanks man! Still waiting on the mic to come in, then the audio should be stepped up a notch

That seems to be the consensus on the plastic, and the metal is still the mystery. It has been pointed out by others that the IMS would be ferrous, so I’m pretty sure that’s not the issue here.
Nah, Man. Your audio is coming through loud and clear. Save your $227 on the microphone.

I'm most appreciative of your detailed vids. No shortcuts. When you get to a challenge... you forge right on through... illustrating even the frustrating moments. You leave nothing to the imagination. That's valuable.

I've all your vids in a separate Bookmark's file. In my opinion... you've picked up where Burner left off. Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Nah, Man. Your audio is coming through loud and clear. Save your $227 on the microphone.

I'm most appreciative of your detailed vids. No shortcuts. When you get to a challenge... you forge right on through... illustrating even the frustrating moments. You leave nothing to the imagination. That's valuable.

I've all your vids in a separate Bookmark's file. In my opinion... you've picked up where Burner left off. Thanks!!
Hey that means a lot, thanks again! Yeah, most people skip the hard parts or make everything look WAY easier than what it really is. I think the details and what you are ACTUALLY going to face are the two greatest assets of my channel.

Also should add: Pretty much EVERYTHING I'm doing is for the first time. So other first timers will not only see the right way to do it (hopefully), but will also see the pitfalls I run into and not repeat them. Plus there are a lot of people watching that comment with other helpful tips that I hadn't known, which teaches me as well as the next person that comes along and wants to do the project. All that to say I get to learn more by making these videos too!

And I REALLY do appreciate comments like yours. It helps to overshadow the negative comments I get sometimes about "how they are so glad I don't do this for a living" or the like. Haha. They are always the ones with zero videos posted and zero contribution to the Boxster community I sometimes can't resist pointing out to them that if THEY would have taken the time to make a detailed video, I wouldn't be here doing it the wrong way...
2015 Ninja 300

Last edited by TTGator; 04-06-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Made another. Found some bad stuff in the pan

https://youtu.be/ELp2bGs3czA
Great video. I have a question regarding the pan seal. I noticed you spread the sealant and went around the inside (towards inside of oil reservoire) when going around screw holes versus the outside of the screw holes. Do you think any of the sealant would be squeezed (drip) inside the oil pan when bolts were torqued?
Old 04-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Great video. I have a question regarding the pan seal. I noticed you spread the sealant and went around the inside (towards inside of oil reservoire) when going around screw holes versus the outside of the screw holes. Do you think any of the sealant would be squeezed (drip) inside the oil pan when bolts were torqued?
Probably some would squeeze inside just like it did on the outside, but not "drip". Just like it didn't drip on the outside. I think the reason you are supposed to put the gasket on the inside is to prevent oil from filling the bolt holes. Makes sense. I just followed Porsche's recommended placement per that diagram I put in the video.
2015 Ninja 300
Old 04-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
I think the reason you are supposed to put the gasket on the inside is to prevent oil from filling the bolt holes. Makes sense.
Also... over time as the sealant deteriorates... it WILL find it's way to the pickup tube. Thank goodness Porsche made that screen of metal.

When I did mine the bead was around the holes... a thin bead. I did remove some sealant pieces from my pickup tube screen... nothing extraordinary.

Cheers, Pal!
Old 07-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #11

Out of curiosity did you find what was the source of those metal/odd items in your engine pan?
yummyporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummyporsche View Post
Out of curiosity did you find what was the source of those metal/odd items in your engine pan?
Think it might have been my mechanic drilling too far into my water pump to extract the bolt that I sheared off. That’s his suspicion. We will see if there are no more metal bits at the next oil change.
2015 Ninja 300
Old 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #13

Garage
Well done video. One thing to say. The pan or any large rectangular object, should be cross tightened working from the inside to the outside as you would an intake manifold. This will ensure the pan is flattened evenly outward and not trapping high spots (bridges) between exterior and interior bolts.

Last edited by 911monty; 07-20-2020 at 01:55 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Well done video. One thing to say. The pan or any large rectangular object, should be cross tightened working from the inside to the outside as you would an intake manifold. This will ensure the pan is flattened evenly outward and not trapping high spots (bridges) between exterior and interior bolts.
Interesting. Thanks for the tip!

2015 Ninja 300