Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #1

Porsche Boxter 986 Tool Kit Alternative

Hi
I've just purchased a used Porsche Boxster 986 - 2004 model from a garage. I want to replace both headlight bulbs with modern white leds. But unfortunately, my car didn't come with the Porsche tool kit to remove the headlights. And I've only found some listings on eBay for the official Porsche tool kit that's out of my price range. I'd like to know where I can get a cheaper alternative tool to release the headlights. I've already tried 5mm sockets, but they won't fit though the plastic hole that the screw is located in. So, I'm snookered at the moment. Does anyone know I can get a cheaper removal tool please

Ste2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste2011 View Post
I've already tried 5mm sockets, but they won't fit though the plastic hole that the screw is located in.
Interesting. I've been using a 5mm socket on a 6 inch extension and have not had a problem. In fact, I keep the socket and extension in my toolkit. You say they won't fit through the hole. How big a diameter does your socket or extension have? The ones I use have plenty of clearance.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #3

Those are the dim for the porsche tool. Your local Car Dismantler occasionally hides a lot of surprises, check if they have a 986/996 in their inventory, never know!

[Metric/millimetres] 200mm long tool although I doubt you need much more than 80~100mm

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-08-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #4

And the tool w/ handle itself. Apologies for the lack of passion for photography, promise to fix that problem one day lol

Good luck with the headlights, and finding or making a tool that fits

Old 05-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste2011 View Post
Hi
... I've already tried 5mm sockets, but they won't fit though the plastic hole that the screw is located in. ...
Are you certain that you are putting the wrench in the right hole? A,B, and C in this diagram are for headlight Aim adjustment. The one I marked is to remove the headlight.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Are you certain that you are putting the wrench in the right hole? A,B, and C in this diagram are for headlight Aim adjustment. The one I marked is to remove the headlight.
That's the hole I've been trying to release the screw from. But there's a black plastic washer around the screw and it's preventing the 5mm socket from getting to the screw
Old 05-09-2020, 03:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
And the tool w/ handle itself. Apologies for the lack of passion for photography, promise to fix that problem one day lol

Good luck with the headlights, and finding or making a tool that fits

Where can I purchase this tool from?
Old 05-09-2020, 03:45 AM   #8

Not entirely convinced you can buy that tool individually, although quite a few tool'kit' are available that included the tool you are after. example:

Porsche 986 Boxster Tool Kit, 7 Pieces + Gloves & Vinyl Bag - Los Angeles Dismantler - Used Porsche Parts for 911 Boxster Cayman Turbo

Have you called your local Porsche Service Manager and ask him/her if he can spare you one? I'm sure they have tons of those around their shop. Politely asked yadayada, try?
Your local Porsche independent is also a good place to check (independent = unofficial mechanic specializing in Pcar)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 05-09-2020 at 03:49 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Not entirely convinced you can buy that tool individually, although quite a few tool'kit' are available that included the tool you are after. example:

Porsche 986 Boxster Tool Kit, 7 Pieces + Gloves & Vinyl Bag - Los Angeles Dismantler - Used Porsche Parts for 911 Boxster Cayman Turbo

Have you called your local Porsche Service Manager and ask him/her if he can spare you one? I'm sure they have tons of those around their shop. Politely asked yadayada, try?
Your local Porsche independent is also a good place to check (independent = unofficial mechanic specializing in Pcar)
True. I'll try contacting a few in my area. Hopefully they will sell me the tool at a reasonable price
Old 05-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #10

5 mm nut driver. Available at any hardware store. My headlight tool cracked at one of the flanges, and needed be replaced. Works well.
Andrew.
Boxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #11

Also, Suncoast Porsche has the original tool for like fifteen bucks...

Boxtar is offline   Reply With Quote