Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Previous owner took a pipe out of my oil system??? Please help!

Hi all, first time poster here so bear with me.

Basically I bought a 986 a while back, and decided to change the oil on it this past weekend. It had been running fine and there were no issues when I drained the oil out of the car. When it came time to put the oil back in, I poured the first 5 quarts in with no issue. I then walked back into the garage to grab the rest of the oil. On the way back to my car, guess what? 5 quarts of oil was running down my driveway. I could not for the life of me figure out what happened. I looked underneath the car and couldn't tell where it was coming from, so I decided to roll it back out onto the street, park it for the night, and figure it out in the morning.

(In doing this, I just so happened to crash into the back of my neighbors car because idiot me forgot that you don't have power brakes when the engine isn't running, but that's a story for another time.)

When I took the engine cover off in the morning, it looked like the previous owner just took out one of the pipes in the oil system before it reaches the engine.
It looks like oil was just pouring out of here straight onto the ground,

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure this is where the oil is supposed to be going. It looks like the previous owner just capped it off to avoid debris getting into the engine.

I have no idea why somebody would do this, but like it or not I have to deal with it now. Has anybody had any experience replacing this piece? Would this just be a simple elbow joint install, or would I have to replace the whole system? Where can I find a replacement part to fix it? Any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Will

Wwatson281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

That's the oil filler tube... and it comes in two pieces. Youshould be able to connect the two pieces together, secured by the clamp. Worst case scenario... you buy the new tube. I'll say it's not a huge deal... but wiser minds soon will chime in.

Pics of the new ride?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That's the oil filler tube... and it comes in two pieces. Youshould be able to connect the two pieces together, secured by the clamp. Worst case scenario... you buy the new tube. I'll say it's not a huge deal... but wiser minds soon will chime in.

I'm not sure as I don't have experience with working on boxters, but I don't believe that this is the flexible tube that has been known to wear out. I'm not getting much movement on the capped pipe and I don't think it will stretch to the other end.

Pics of the new ride?

I don't have very many pics of it yet, but this should give you a general idea.

Wwatson281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
986 , diy , leak , oil