986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   DIY: Paint brake calipers (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/76548-diy-paint-brake-calipers.html)

TTGator 11-02-2019 01:04 PM

DIY: Paint brake calipers

Painted the calipers this week. If you're not already a subscriber I'd ask you to subscribe and help me reach my goal!

https://youtu.be/mrbSBQjv0Iw

JimmyBad 11-02-2019 01:38 PM

I think it was overkill using the dremel and sandpaper to remove the black finish. The new paint should adhere if the black finish was cleaned good enough with brake cleaner and wire brush.

TTGator 11-02-2019 01:50 PM

Yeah I thought it was probably overkill too

Starter986 11-03-2019 03:09 AM

Few questions...

1. What is your subscriber goal (#)?

2. After all that work... why didn't you just have them powdercoated?

3. I'm assuming your ride is an S, No?

Curious. Thanks!

TTGator 11-03-2019 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 606020)
Few questions...

1. What is your subscriber goal (#)?

2. After all that work... why didn't you just have them powdercoated?

3. I'm assuming your ride is an S, No?

Curious. Thanks!

1. 1000 is my first goal.
2. I don’t have the ability to powder coat. Maybe I’ll learn that next.
3. No

Starter986 11-03-2019 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTGator (Post 606026)
1. 1000 is my first goal.
2. I don’t have the ability to powder coat. Maybe I’ll learn that next.
3. No

1. I'll visit your YT page and bump you up 1. ;)

2. Ummm... there are shops hat do that and I's thing well under $100. Well under, or walk.

3. Why red? Why not black (stock)? I'm not suggesting you have to go all "purist", just wondering.

By the way... I like your vids because you get into fair detail... not like others who tend to skip the important parts (like the guy who replaced his alternator (Not Burner), but fails to show the "finagling" back in part.)

:cheers:

TTGator 11-03-2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starter986 (Post 606033)
1. I'll visit your YT page and bump you up 1. ;)

2. Ummm... there are shops hat do that and I's thing well under $100. Well under, or walk.

3. Why red? Why not black (stock)? I'm not suggesting you have to go all "purist", just wondering.

By the way... I like your vids because you get into fair detail... not like others who tend to skip the important parts (like the guy who replaced his alternator (Not Burner), but fails to show the "finagling" back in part.)

:cheers:

1. Thanks!
2. If you didn’t notice from my channel, I’m all about do it YOURSELF. :)
3. Red looks much cooler?

Starter986 11-03-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTGator (Post 606035)
1. Thanks!
2. If you didn’t notice from my channel, I’m all about do it YOURSELF. :)
3. Red looks much cooler?

2. Duh-me. I'll be looking for your DIY powder-coating vids. ;)

3. It does. I had considered that yellow-look paint... but always have gone the stock color on my calipers (My Edge remains plain old silver/metal). The red, indeed, does look cooler. :cheers:

Thanks, again, for the detailed vids. Have a great day!

Winkiepoo 11-05-2019 12:19 PM

I subbed and click the like button! Did you say that in your video like all the other Youtuber? :)

Keep up the good work!!

TTGator 11-06-2019 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winkiepoo (Post 606184)
I subbed and click the like button! Did you say that in your video like all the other Youtuber? :)

Keep up the good work!!

Yes I did! Haha. It still amazes me how many people will say they appreciated the video or ask me questions (that I respond to), yet never subscribe or "like" the video for me. Seems like such a fair deal for all the hours I put into each video? But thank YOU for subscribing :cheers:

Tremonte986 11-28-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTGator (Post 606212)
Yes I did! Haha. It still amazes me how many people will say they appreciated the video or ask me questions (that I respond to), yet never subscribe or "like" the video for me. Seems like such a fair deal for all the hours I put into each video? But thank YOU for subscribing :cheers:

Don't let subscriber count get you down. It's all about watch time and interaction on YouTube. The higher percentage of the video that gets watched, the more it will be suggested to viewers, and subs will come with time. Try to trim your videos down to get watch percentages above 35%. That's one of the magic numbers that will boost your channel.

Tremonte986 11-28-2019 06:33 PM

Double post :(

flouese 06-24-2020 09:21 AM

Can I use the POR-15 product to coat my brake calipers? I am currently using it on all my 1966 912 engine tin and like the results, no brush stokes and it doesn't come off.