Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
M9G
2002 2.7 Boxster in green

my latest mod :-)

Never liked orange light for clocks and switches so have changed all the LED's. About 200 of them in all.

Over many years I have done a few of my cars like this and to me so much nicer :-)

M9G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
It seems like the backlit screens like on the dash are either too bright or too dim on the ac control unit. Is this true or is the camera not justifying your work?
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
M9G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBad View Post
It seems like the backlit screens like on the dash are either too bright or too dim on the ac control unit. Is this true or is the camera not justifying your work?
Its a bit of both

The LED's for the digital screens use to be red but then the light passes through a yellow piece of plastic and then through the lcd screen creating the orange whereas the led's for the switches and around the clocks were orange led's. The yellow plastic is still in there at the moment creating the green effect until I can find a piece of thin white plastic to cut to size.

The Heater controls are slightly duller as the led light has to pass through quite thick translucent rubber which gives the buttons that springy feel. Something i'm thinking about to change

The main lcd display in the clocks isn't that bright in the car, that was a lot to do with night time pictures and reflection of the clear plastic screen in front of the clocks.

They do look better when sat in the car

Last edited by M9G; 11-18-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Nice work! Looks great!

They can be near impossible to photograph. I’ve tried many colors, too. I’ve found that the buttons on the climate control are the worst for lighter colors (you get a bit of green from the plastic).
I changed all of my CC LEDs from blue to electric blue last year, only to find out that it looked very green through the buttons. I had to switch them all back...what a pain!

In my experience, you have to stick with bold colors like red, blue, purple, and green.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
M9G

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Nice work! Looks great!

They can be near impossible to photograph. I’ve tried many colors, too. I’ve found that the buttons on the climate control are the worst for lighter colors (you get a bit of green from the plastic).
I changed all of my CC LEDs from blue to electric blue last year, only to find out that it looked very green through the buttons. I had to switch them all back...what a pain!

In my experience, you have to stick with bold colors like red, blue, purple, and green.
Thankyou :-)
Old 11-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #6

Very nice, that's a lot of work! Though I am reminded of Robert Goulet and The Blue Light (if there are any other old farts here)!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
M9G

removed the yellow filters from the LCD displays and drew around them on a white ice cream tub, cut them out and installed them. Perfect result :-)

Old 11-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M9G View Post
removed the yellow filters from the LCD displays and drew around them on a white ice cream tub, cut them out and installed them. Perfect result :-)

What did you draw?
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
M9G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBad View Post
What did you draw?
Behind the LCD screens are yellow pieces of plastic as the original orange glow is created by passing red LED light through these yellow plastic filters so when I first installed the blue LED's when they shone through the yellow plastic pieces it turned the glow green which you can see in the original pictures. I removed these pieces of yellow plastic and drew around them on the side of an ice cream tub and then cut them out