Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:16 AM   #1
still plays with cars...

Garage
Model year 2000-2004 Convertible top relay mod

This mod allows the driver to raise or lower the top while in motion without having to pull the emergency brake.
The instructions are as follows and work on 986.616.199.00 relays; model years 2000-2004.
This can be done on the 1997 -1999 relays also, but the pinouts are different and this guide doesn't apply.

1. Pull the relay out the relay board. It is just above fuse box and is the biggest relay there.
2. Pry off relay cover with small flat jeweler's screwdrivers along the long side of the relay, being careful not to damage the circuit board inside. This picture shows the four pry points and the pins to bend.

3. First tin and then solder a small wire to connect the two points shown in the photo. The wire you use must be small enough to rest against the circuit board (insulated of course) and will allow the relay cover to slide back on.

4. Bend pin 15 and pin 18 out of the way. I bent pin 15 outwards so it extended slightly past the edge of the bottom of the relay. It makes no contact with anything else. No issue there. Pin 18 folds flat against the bottom of the relay itself.
5. Reinstall the relay. Even with pins bent it still goes in only one way.
6. Start the car, disengage the handbrake and test for operation.
7. Be careful how you use it, as you have now bypassed all of Porsche's safely features on the relay. With this hack completed, it is possible to raise or lower the roof at highway speeds which will wreck it. Limit roof operation to speeds of 20 -25 mph.

I've been running this mod for 2 years now with no issues.
Thanks to dominouk and guvs on Boxa.net for sharing.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation

Last edited by BoxsterSteve; 11-15-2015 at 06:32 AM.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

If you've done that you should try this
AutoTop DIY I did along with the relay mod and both work well together
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #3

If you've done that you should try this
AutoTop DIY I did along with the relay mod and both work well together
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
I also went with a RoboTop unit that I got from thstone to save myself 12 seconds of finger wear...
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
Old 08-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #5

Thank you very much for writing this up. Did this yesterday at the same time I changed the wiper relay to a VW 99 relay. Took me 5 minutes from start to finish and it worked perfectly.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Resurrecting an old thread.

I performed the roof relay hack as described using a relay I obtained from 'itsnotanova' The hack works as indicated allowing the roof to go up and down without the e-brake applied and rolling along. The one problem is the roof warning light on the dash stays on. Strangely, for the first few miles I drove the light was out then it blinked a few times and then stayed on.

I have my original relay and swapped it back. It operates as it should and the light goes out when the roof is up or down. I swapped the two relays a few times thinking a contact may not be seated fully but in each case the hacked relay did the same thing and the original operated as normal.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I like what the hacked relay allows but not if the warning light is going to stay on.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
still plays with cars...

Garage
Paulofto

Mine still functions as it did when I first modified it.
Can’t offer anything except the possibility you may have tinned onto one of the adjacent terminals or there may have been an issue with the relay you obtained.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:34 AM   #8
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Paulofto

Mine still functions as it did when I first modified it.
Can’t offer anything except the possibility you may have tinned onto one of the adjacent terminals or there may have been an issue with the relay you obtained.
Either scenario is possible. My eyesite isn't what it used to be so a botched solder job is possible. And the relay was used so it may have been an issue. I should have tried it un modded first.

Oh well, I'll open it up and see if the solder points can be fixed if needed. Thanks.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote