Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Painted Center Console

I'm contemplating painting my own center console. I was originally thinking of having it done by BumperPlugs, but it looks like the price has risen to $629 and that is just a little too steep for current conditions - I have an offspring in college.

I probably won't tackle the project until late fall or winter, so I'm doing some research now. (If anyone has a spare console that they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price, please contact me. This would permit me to get started earlier since I could work on the spare console at anytime without putting the car out of action during some of the best top-down driving weather.)

I'm thinking of painting it either Arctic Silver like the rest of my car, or Alumnalook to match the shift knob and brake handle. Any thought on what would look best?

I haven't been able to find a comprehensive DIY thread anywhere, but here is what I have garnered from searching here and on Rennlist and Renntech. I would appreciate any comments or guidance on my processes especially if you have done this yourself.

1. Preparation - Apparently you can remove the soft touch coating with either 3M Safest Stripper or by sanding. The threads I've read suggest that you have to finish with sanding when you use stripper and the stripper can soften the plastic. So, right now I'm thinking of just sanding. I've seen some threads that recommend 400 grit sandpaper in order to avoid scratches. I was planning to start with 100 or 200 grit and finishing with 400.

2. Most threads appear to recommend using some type of bonding agent. Any suggestions?

3. Painting - I was thinking of 4 thin coats of color and 2 of clear coat with a wet sand in between each coat. Any thoughts or recommendations about the best grit for wet sanding. Also, I have an air compressor and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to buy a spray gun from Harbor Freight or would a can of spray paint be just as good? Does anyone know of a good source for Alumnalook paint?

4. Painting the ashtray. It seems like this would use the same process as the rest of the project.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #2

Sounds like a plan. Have you looked at the $350 painted consoles on eBay? I'm also considering painting my console and looking to buy a used cheap one. There are tons on eBay and every now and then they sell for a low price. Found one for $60 once and then missed the end of the auction.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

Garage
Take a look at this thread. Homeboy981 painted his console and he gives some tips in the thread. As far as paint goes, I would lean towards spray cans for simplicity if you are doing silver. For body color matching I would go to a body shop and have them paint it. If you do the prep work it shouldn't cost too much.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31376-sport-design-interior-paint.html
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

Garage
I've seen Homeboy's console in person and couldn't believe he did it himself, let alone with a spray can. I think anyone could easily mistake it as a factory option. He gave me some pointers such as spray thin, light coats, and letting the parts sit for a whole week to dry before installation.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I put mine into a paint shop. It was way less than 600$

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53075&page=4#entry662945
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I searched pretty extensively, but I missed some of them.

It is very tempting to buy a completed console from either BumperPlugs or Ebay. However, that would take the challenge away and it's hard to justify the cost for something that is essentially cosmetic.

I like to have a project in the works for my Boxster. It keeps the car fresh and helps pass the time until I can afford a used 981. I'm thinking that will be in about 2020.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
flybird

Garage
Removing interior paint

I filled my bathtub up with total hot water then let the pieces soak for a good twenty minutes. Took the finest steel wool to it gently, old paint came right off. Not to much of a clean up in the tub. Hope this helps
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Beginner

Garage
If you sand with 100 grit you'll likely have to deal with sand scratches - way to coarse - the bathtub / steel wool looks like the clear winner IMHO.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

green scrub pads and warm soapy water

I've used this approach with some used parts that I needed to strip and it seemed to work well. Soak the parts in warm soapy water and then GENTLY rub them with the green scrub pads. Removed the soft-touch paint and left the plastic underneath without scratches.

geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote