Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 04:30 AM   #1

Cup Holder Blanking Plate (986) _ UPDATE!!

Question:
Does anyone sell just blanking plate for Cup Holder (986) on center console?

I'm trying to figure out a good place to mount my phone, and the Cup Holders are never used (don't want to break them!).

My console is already configured: Cup Holder/Radio/Cubby/A-C Controls, so all I would have to do is pull the cup holder, put blanking plate on, and there I could mount a magnetic (flat or swivel) mount, so if I ever want to remove it, its just a couple of screws, put cup holders back on, done.

I could probably figure out how to "make" one of plastic or aluminum, but if there is one that is already cut to size, and not and arm and a leg, it would certainly make it easier for me!

Thanks in advance,

Stiglitz

Last edited by Stiglitz; 12-17-2018 at 02:08 AM. Reason: update - did not see need to start new post, but letting folks know there is an update.
Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:07 AM   #2

Well, I could not find a blanking plate, so I made one, opinions? I am not too sure about it w/o the phone in place, but it is greatly convenient with phone in place. I leave that phone there, as it is what I use to stream music, odb, tpms, etc..

Took out the Cupholders and frame (which I never use), took the actual cupholders out, frame back in, then trim piece, I hot glued (FYI, regular hot glue won't work well, I used a darker color glue from PDR glue gun) piece of ABS plastic ($3.00 on Ebay; I can probably cut 3-4 more), and mounted flat mount phone magnet.

Works great. Magnet is super strong.
Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:49 AM   #3

That's a good idea. Your radio and HVAC control unit will be happy to see the cup holder removed too.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
That's a good idea. Your radio and HVAC control unit will be happy to see the cup holder removed too.
Yeah, Porsche must have had a junior designer put that setup together!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Yeah, Porsche must have had a junior designer put that setup together!
Foreign car designers always seem to have problems designing good cupholders
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
Dad’s Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Foreign car designers always seem to have problems designing good cupholders
I have owned two P11-era Infiniti G20 cars; their cup holders were nearly nonexistent. The permanent one make a fine change cup. The other is like an afterthought modeled on the ones you used to buy to hang on the door of your Vista Cruiser, only you got to use it on the front of the armrest with the padded cover open.

steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote