Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

How to Disable DRL, 2002, 986, Canadian

Been looking through all the forums with no luck. Trying to DISABLE the DRLs on my 2002 Boxster, Canadian specs. Have tried pulling the large relay as one site suggested but that had no effect.

I may opt to move the DRLs to another set of lights but for now I'd just like them off --or better, to have the choice of on/off.

I will greatly appreciate any advice or help you may have to offer.

thanks

PDXGresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:06 AM   #2
IronDeadPool

i would also like to know

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
Odd... removing the DRL relay did it for my car.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXGresham View Post
Been looking through all the forums with no luck. Trying to DISABLE the DRLs on my 2002 Boxster, Canadian specs. Have tried pulling the large relay as one site suggested but that had no effect.

I may opt to move the DRLs to another set of lights but for now I'd just like them off --or better, to have the choice of on/off.

I will greatly appreciate any advice or help you may have to offer.

thanks
It can be done, but requires the dealer level diagnostic tool, and no dealer will do it as it is a mandated safety item and turning them off opens those that do it to liability claims in an accident. In may US states, cars that are suppose to have them, and don't, will also fail inspection.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

It's not mandatory in my State. My issue is that the DRL's on my car only turn on the headlights. NO other lights are turned on. With digital instrumentation and radio it looks like my lights are on when the tail lights are not. And yes, while half of my speedometer and tach are dark, I don't general consult these gauges when I'm pulling away from my home or parking space. What I have is a distinctly unsafe arrangement.

Still looking for this answer and hopeful someone might have a helpful suggestion.

thanks.
PDXGresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

Garage
I suspect the 2002 must be diff then the 99 I own. DLR relay did the trick for me.
Duezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:13 AM   #7

Unsafe arrangement? Because your headlights come on? Millions and millions of cars have that arrangement....what's different in yours?

Having DRL is proven to be safer, hence so many places have instituted them.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Unsafe arrangement? Because your headlights come on? Millions and millions of cars have that arrangement....what's different in yours?

Having DRL is proven to be safer, hence so many places have instituted them.
Giller; I think what is a concern is that at night with the headlights on (auto DRL) and a casual observation of the dash, you can be led to believe your taillights are on when in fact they're not. This also happens to be a pet peeve of mine when driving rental cars since there is no standard operation between manufacturers.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #9

DRL Located on '99 Porsche Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duezzer View Post
I suspect the 2002 must be diff then the 99 I own. DLR relay did the trick for me.
Where is the DLR located, on a 1999 Boxster base model, and what # is it? I don't have a owner's manual.

Thank you,
Kevin
kstone1977.ks@gmail.com

undergroundracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian , drl