Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 05:31 AM   #1

After-Market spoiler for 1999 boxster

Love my car, but like most early year Boxster owners, not sure why Porsche came up with the lame "rear spoiler" concept for the car, looks better down, then up...... has anyone "upgraded" to a nicer looking after-market spoiler, several on **************************************** - i like the D2S Turbo Style Carbon Fiber spoiler. I don't like the idea of drilling through the metal trunk to install something, from the pictures, looks like this one works with the existing assembly rod mechanism - can't get much help from **************************************** and can't find any website for D2S - any recommendations or just leave as is? thanks

996 74mm throttle body, 996 IPD Plenum
jsg1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
one problem with aftermarket "spoilers" is their aerodynamics and what they may do to the handling of the car at high speed.

Yes some of them may look nice, but if they have not done wind tunnel testing, the effects may be unpredictable
YMMV
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Garage
Porsche calls the Boxster spoiler an "air dam" and it is built that way for a reason the after market spoilers may not accomplish.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It seems that it is made for function rather than looking cool. Basically, it's a gurney flap:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurney_flap
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

Garage
Slap a spoiler sticker on the current spoiler and be happy. It has a function and if you find a long two lane highway where you're running at like 80 in the forest you'll be glad to have it.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:21 AM   #6

I wish I could get my hands on a factory aerokit or a cayman wing. Just don't go too far like this guy.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I'm guessing the guys who designed the car and did the wind tunnel testing knew a thing or two about aerodynamics and the need for the retractable air dam that comes with the car. It is functional if not stylish which is what Porsche is all about.

Contrast that with econo-box ricers that come standard with garish and somewhat outlandish single, double and sometimes triple wings which likely do absolutely nothing except add to the price of the car and make it hard to clean properly. Some of the recent cars put the wing on a Lambo to shame.

Give me function over form all day long.

Last edited by paulofto; 11-02-2015 at 07:08 AM.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
Ben-Auto-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I'm guessing the guys who designed the car and did the wind tunnel testing knew a thing or two about aerodynamics and the need for the retractable air dam that comes with the car. It is functional if not stylish which is what Porsche is all about.

Contrast that with econo-box ricers that come standard with garish and somewhat outlandish single, double and sometimes triple wings which likely do absolutely nothing except add to the price of the car and make it hard to clean properly. Some of the recent cars put the wing on a Contact to shame.

Give me function over form all day long.
They knew a thing or two about engines too... and they still came up with the single row IMS bearing idea

Because they are engineer doesn't mean they take the best decision all the time based on functionality !
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #9

It's there for a reason. The earlier Audi TTs, a car that has a similar shape, had an issue with the rear getting light at speed with a few fatal incidents. To fix that Audi added a spoiler and then some. An engine blowing due to a cost cutting IMS is something completely different then a car that's unstable at speed. For your own safety and the safety of others be smart about a cosmetic mod that will change how a car handles.

Audi Offers TT Fix After 5 Deaths - NYTimes.com
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #10

thanks for all the replies, will stick with the Porsche engineers and not mess with it.
996 74mm throttle body, 996 IPD Plenum
jsg1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
Ben-Auto-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
It's there for a reason. The earlier Audi TTs, a car that has a similar shape, had an issue with the rear getting light at speed with a few fatal incidents. To fix that Audi added a spoiler and then some. An engine blowing due to a cost cutting IMS is something completely different then a car that's unstable at speed. For your own safety and the safety of others be smart about a cosmetic mod that will change how a car handles.

Audi Offers TT Fix After 5 Deaths - NYTimes.com
My point was just that because something is designed a certain way, doesn't you can't improve on it...
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
My point was just that because something is designed a certain way, doesn't you can't improve on it...
Maybe you can improve on it but how will you know you've improved anything unless you can do some aero testing like the designers did. Wind tunnels are the only way.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Maybe you can improve on it but how will you know you've improved anything unless you can do some aero testing like the designers did. Wind tunnels are the only way.
Well there's always empirical data like the kind that Audi had with the TT!

l
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

It's the classic struggle between esthetics, functionality/safety, performance and wanting it to look even cooler without having to shell out an extra $100g.

There are ways to measure down force if you really want to be driving over 80 a lot and need the aerodynamics to work without resorting to a wind tunnel.

I love the way Boxster race cars look but off the track on the street your going to attract an awful lot of perhaps unwanted attention and most likely some young guy in a winged flat black Honda is going to do something stupid, loose control and ruin your day.

If you can deal with that, it makes you smile and its not ridiculously expensive i'd go right ahead and enjoy.

There will always be those that are purists and prefer stock everything and those that like to personalize and pimp their ride to varying degrees. Its all good.

Ray
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
Yes, but are you really smarter than a Porsche Automotive Engineer? There are literally thousands of posts dedicated to "improvement" on the design and an equal number of failures the so called "improvements" have resulted in. It's a great design, just go enjoy it.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Yes, but are you really smarter than a Porsche Automotive Engineer? There are literally thousands of posts dedicated to "improvement" on the design and an equal number of failures the so called "improvements" have resulted in. It's a great design, just go enjoy it.
Your statement may be incorrect. Every one has failed? Maybe many, or most, but not all. Do the folks at Gembella and Ruf know that their stuff doesn't work as well? Do all those folks that race their cars use completely stock setups? Many industries separate design functions between design engineers and designers who are not degreed engineers, and many use engineers who do not have a "stamp", i.e. they have an engineering degree but no state license. Which group designed this part? Why does SEMA exist? AMG? M? Shelby?
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:07 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
Your statement may be incorrect. Every one has failed? Maybe many, or most, but not all. Do the folks at Gembella and Ruf know that their stuff doesn't work as well? Do all those folks that race their cars use completely stock setups? Many industries separate design functions between design engineers and designers who are not degreed engineers, and many use engineers who do not have a "stamp", i.e. they have an engineering degree but no state license. Which group designed this part? Why does SEMA exist? AMG? M? Shelby?
I didn't say "every one has failed." Racing cars are a different breed than our every day use Boxsters and the air dam that is designed specifically for our Boxsters works as it was designed to work. Unless the manufacturer of the after market spoiler has some form of testing documentation (which I have yet to see as I was once interested in this spoiler) one stands at risk to lose control at higher speeds. I wouldn't want to risk losing control of my Boxster on a highway, would you?
Old 12-07-2015, 03:58 AM   #18
Project Addicted

I took a shot at using an after market "wing" to jazz up the appearance of our Box. I bought the unpainted unit from China and gave it a quick spray to get it close to a match. It was painted with a spray can from Automotive touch up. It's close but not great.

I cut the stock air dam to fit the wing on top of it to keep the designed in aero usefulness of the air dam.

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
I took a shot at using an after market "wing" to jazz up the appearance of our Box. I bought the unpainted unit from China and gave it a quick spray to get it close to a match. It was painted with a spray can from Automotive touch up. It's close but not great.

I cut the stock air dam to fit the wing on top of it to keep the designed in aero usefulness of the air dam.

Please let us know how it works out particularly at higher speeds when it is deployed. Good idea to alter the dam and the spoiler looks a damn sight better than stock.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #20

OEM Cayman S wing retrofit

Full thread
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46156-cayman-s-spoiler-installed.html

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote