986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   Car leveling and oil change (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/58390-car-leveling-oil-change.html)

jpc763 08-18-2015 12:06 PM

Car leveling and oil change

I am about to do my first oil change and have read that the car needs to be level in order to drain the most oil out.

I have ramps and jack stands. The ramps will raise the front of the car 8" while the jack stands will raise the back 11.5"

Will that 3.5" be an issue?

I *did* do a search and looked at Pelican Tech Articles as well. Great info on the actual change but nothing about raising the car.

epapp 08-18-2015 12:19 PM

I have never once worried about being totally level when changing my oil...I jack up the rear, give enough space with jack stands to get under there, drain and fill. I can't be really missing that much oil by doing it this way - it still takes 9 quarts to fill it up to the correct level again!

JayG 08-18-2015 12:20 PM

My understanding is the the car should be level to properly drain all the oil. A full change is ~9.5 quarts

Best to get 4 jack stands. I do the front of the car by putting the jack at the rear jack point, it will raise the entire side. I do one side and then the other. Then for the back i use a the rear jack point at shown in the Pelican DIY and it will raise the entire back so you can slide in jack stand for both sides

Note that the car should be warmed up and the oil will be hot when draining. You should let it drain for at least 30 minutes

hancock1701 08-18-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 462187)
My understanding is the the car should be level to properly drain all the oil. A full change is ~9.5 quarts

Best to get 4 jack stands. I do the front of the car by putting the jack at the rear jack point, it will raise the entire side. I do one side and then the other. Then for the back i use a the rear jack point at shown in the Pelican DIY and it will raise the entire back so you can slide in jack stand for both sides

Note that the car should be warmed up and the oil will be hot when draining. You should let it drain for at least 30 minutes

Bro, you're so poor you can't even afford to pay somebody to change your oil, and have to do it yourself? :p

Anyway, like he said. Best is car level, and warm oil when draining. But personally, I just raise the rear to change it, and sometimes the oil is cold too. If you don't feel comfortable knowing that you didn't completely drain all the oil, then get the car level.

JayG 08-18-2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancock1701 (Post 462195)
Bro, you're so poor you can't even afford to pay somebody to change your oil, and have to do it yourself? :p

Anyway, like he said. Best is car level, and warm oil when draining. But personally, I just raise the rear to change it, and sometimes the oil is cold too. If you don't feel comfortable knowing that you didn't completely drain all the oil, then get the car level.

I'm so poor, I filter the oil with used coffee filters and then reuse it

Where in So Cal are you?

hancock1701 08-18-2015 01:29 PM

I'm in Orange County, but I also frequent San Diego County.

epapp 08-18-2015 01:41 PM

I even mixed mobil 1 and redline the other day to make up for the lost oil while replacing a broken drain plug!

Don't tell my IMSB!!!!

particlewave 08-18-2015 01:58 PM

I literally raise the back end all of an inch or 2 to change the oil, so it's fairly level.
It only needs to come up a bit to fit the catch pan under there, otherwise I wouldn't raise it at all. The drain plug and filter can be reached easily without getting under it. ;)

911monty 08-18-2015 02:16 PM

Here is a picture of the internals of a stock oil pan. As you can see having the rear higher than the front is desired due to the channels into the baffle. Rear low or unlevel side to side would trap much more oil. When I dropped this pan I had the rear on ramps approx 4" higher than front and had less than 1/2 cup residual oil after draining.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1439936106.jpg

JayG 08-18-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 462223)
I literally raise the back end all of an inch or 2 to change the oil, so it's fairly level.
It only needs to come up a bit to fit the catch pan under there, otherwise I wouldn't raise it at all. The drain plug and filter can be reached easily without getting under it. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911monty (Post 462226)
Here is a picture of the internals of a stock oil pan. As you can see having the rear higher than the front is desired due to the channels into the baffle. Rear low or unlevel side to side would trap much more oil. When I dropped this pan I had the rear on ramps approx 4" higher than front and had less than 1/2 cup residual oil after draining.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1439936106.jpg

good to know
Thanks

So just raising the rear is actually better than level?

JayG 08-18-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancock1701 (Post 462210)
I'm in Orange County, but I also frequent San Diego County.

You should come down for some of the San Diego PCA events. We have a great group of owners and have a lot of fun

Thee is a back road tour coming up on Aug 30. We usually get between 80 & 125 cars
Driving Tour – starts at TBD | Porsche Club of America San Diego Region

Great 3-3,.5 hour round trip drive
The start and end locations as well as the rout changes each time

PM me if you will be going and we can say hi

911monty 08-18-2015 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 462228)
good to know
Thanks

So just raising the rear is actually better than level?

Well I believe a picture is worth a thousand words! The only channel into the baffle is from the front. From there into the depression for the oil pump pickup and into the relief for the drain plug. So IMO PW's 2" height is ideal. I have a slope in my driveway, so I put front wheels up slope and rears on ramps. Plenty of room to drain and inspect bottom of car!

JayG 08-18-2015 02:50 PM

Gonna have to get some ramps

911monty 08-18-2015 03:17 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1439939765.jpg

Forgot to attach earlier.

Deserion 08-19-2015 05:32 AM

I set my jack stands so the car is level. It gives me enough room to get myself underneath to inspect as well.

Thanks for the oil pan pic. :cheers:

Ben006 08-21-2015 10:25 AM

I did it on ramps, and I've got all 9+ quarts out :)
You never get all the old oil out anyway.