Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Garage
Stripped Caliper at bleed valve.

Doing by brakes over the weekend, I encountered a problem. When I was pulling out the last bleed valve, there was rust on the valve. When I took the valve out, the corrosion stripped out the top half of the threads in the caliper for that valve seat. I can't seem to find a machine shop that can put a helicoil in such a tight awkward spot, or that has one that will match the 10X1 threads on the valve. I can still fit a valve in and it seats with the last half of the threads that are still there, but I'm afraid that water will get into the stripped part and kill what's left.

You guys have any suggestions (keep in mind that a used replacement is $275)?

Tony

Last edited by amagalla; 08-10-2015 at 10:42 AM.
amagalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #2

I guess you could get a M10x1 tap and try to save the thread. If there's no other way, RockAuto has calipers for around $125.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #3

Garage
Hit the center of the stub with a punch. Drill down the center of the broken screw with the largest bit you dare try. The punch helps the drill bit stay centered in the beginning. Once the center is out - try an easy out in the stub. Although I have found that the remaining threads will often back out on the drill bit. I have done this on a few things other than calipers.

Oh - and never on anything Porsche related.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #4

Garage
I don't think you understand the situation. The valve is out. But, when it came out, it took half the caliper threads with it. The hole in the caliper where the valve goes is now slightly wider at the top than the valve body, and it's missing half the treads. The bottom half of the threads in the hole are fine.

Tony
Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
I don't think you understand the situation. The valve is out. But, when it came out, it took half the caliper threads with it. The hole in the caliper where the valve goes is now slightly wider at the top than the valve body, and it's missing half the treads. The bottom half of the threads in the hole are fine.

Tony
Your right. I miss understood.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
You could use a timesert and repair it or replace the caliper. Both jobs are pretty straightforward.

++ TIME-SERT Screw thread inserts. Threaded bushings for stripped threads repair threaded bushings inserts for stripped threads insert thread repair
Old 08-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #7

Garage
Hey Tony;
Some things are just not worth taking chances with, braking system is one of them. Replace the part and think about it no more.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote