Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

DIY Painted Buper Guards for about $70

Hi all, this is my 1st DIY for the Boxster. I wanted painted bumper guards so I did it myself.

I got spray base coat, clear and flexible primer from Autotouchup.com They always come through with a great product. I also bought some adhesion promoter from a local store.

Don't forget to maintain as dust free area as possible.

I removed the 2 bumper guards and cleaned them in soapy water. After they dried I used adhesion promoter (according to directions) and then sprayed several coats of the primer.

After the primer dried I lightly sanded it with 320 grit. Wiped it with paint prep to remove dust and I then added another coat of primer. Finally I sanded with 400 grit until very smooth.

After an overnight to let really dry I wiped it all with paint prep to remove any dust (tack cloth might be good here but I didn't have one)

I then sprayed a tack coat of base color and then more coats until you get full coverage and the color you like. As with all spray cans go slowly and build up your coats to avoid runs.

Finally I sprayed the clear. Again go slow and build up. I used about 3 coats but after the guards settled for a few days I am going to scuff and clear more for a deeper look.

That"s it...bolt them on and enjoy.

achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Pretty much the same steps I went through. Mine is Arctic Silver Metallic so the sanding process was a little more detailed to ensure the metal flakes didn't get dulled so I used 1000 grit on 2 coats of colour then the last colour coat had no sanding. Two coats of clear coat and the warts looked factory finished.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
I did my Arctic Silver car's bumperettes too. I sanded off all the pebble finish that mine had, and they are silver and smooth as a baby's bottom. Pics in BoxsterSteve's Garage if you'd like to look.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote