Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #1

Screwdriver to use for starter switch

I recently replaced my starter switch using Pedro's very helpful guide. One thing that Pedro didn't mention in his article is the size of the screwdriver that is required. From his photo it looked like he was using one of those precision screwdrivers. I have a rather extensive precision screwdriver set, but none would fit properly. They were either too long or the head was way too small.

I've read all of the other posts where people have created their own chopped screwdriver, or gone through the vent. I just wanted a screwdriver that fit, so I looked through my arsenal of tools and found this.

This is the smallest of my assortment of flat screwdriver bits with the 1/8" tip. It fits perfectly. Very snug and no play. I was able to hold it in with my middle finger while turning with my thumb and index finger. The screw doesn't require a lot of torque, so this works well. After the fact, I realized that I also have the longer version of this bit which may have been more comfortable to use, but this short one worked well for me and you can't knock what works.

This is something that I'm sure most of us have already or is very easily obtainable. Once I had this, the job was very simple. Hope this may save someone some time.

newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote