Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #1

Keyless ignition

Hey, I've been looking at some mods I could do with my 1999 Boxster. I've always liked the keyless ignition fad with newer cars. I was wondering if anyone here knows if it's possible or some issues I may run into with my car. I know my car doesn't need my key fob to turn on, my electronics in my key weren't in it when I bought it and it turns on fine. Wondering if I get a button that does it (with some simple NFC or RFID authenticator) will it work?

Old 09-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Not sure if it'll work as I believe the key has an identification pellet for the immobilizer system.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Not sure if it'll work as I believe the key has an identification pellet for the immobilizer system.
Hmm. I guess a workaround would be to still use the key as an activator. And then the button to turn on electronics and engine.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinkthompson View Post
Hmm. I guess a workaround would be to still use the key as an activator. And then the button to turn on electronics and engine.
Why would you want to complicate the process of starting your car? "Cool" factor?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Why would you want to complicate the process of starting your car? "Cool" factor?
Basically. I like all the high-end tech stuff. If I could get it to where my key has the RFID authenticator and as long as my car can connect to the RFID chip, then it'll let me push the engine to start, I'd find it a lot cooler than using the key like normal. I would just really like to be able to update my Boxster to it doesn't feel so outdated.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Garage
If you were to rig up a simple RFID circuit (they sell cheap simple kits online), it would add to security as well. Now, you have to have the key AND the RFID fob with you to start the car...assuming you disconnect the ignition wires from the tumbler and attach them to only your RFID circuit.

If you want to get around putting the key in, you can take the resonator out of the key and secure it somewhere under the dash so its always recognized by the ECU, but then that detracts from the security part, and if you do that, you would have to rig up something ghetto to disable the steering wheel lock (to get rid of the key completely).

You can also rig up some circuits to the drivers door microswitch that makes the window drop to do some fancy things. But thats all I'm saying !!
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
If you were to rig up a simple RFID circuit (they sell cheap simple kits online), it would add to security as well. Now, you have to have the key AND the RFID fob with you to start the car...assuming you disconnect the ignition wires from the tumbler and attach them to only your RFID circuit.

If you want to get around putting the key in, you can take the resonator out of the key and secure it somewhere under the dash so its always recognized by the ECU, but then that detracts from the security part, and if you do that, you would have to rig up something ghetto to disable the steering wheel lock (to get rid of the key completely).

You can also rig up some circuits to the drivers door microswitch that makes the window drop to do some fancy things. But thats all I'm saying !!
Well my key actually doesn't have anything in it, that I know of. My battery/electronics for locking/unlocking and trunks is gone. They key is held in the fob somehow so I don't know if key fob still has anything in it for security. I'd have to do some more research on that.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #8

You'd need to reverse engineer the ign barrel & its circuitry and come close to a pinout to enable the features you need without having you to use the metal stalk/key.

Your fob has built-in RF... as I understand. Now whether Porsche encrypts the signal, your guess is as good as mine but if not, it should be easy to sniff the frequency using a cheap Made in China $39.95 RfID sniffer and program something out of a micro-controller with 2 or more 12volts relays.

Love that start btn idea, Go Go Digital
Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

Garage
The key, if you take it apart, has the circuit board, battery, metal key part (which is removable) and a small grey tube nestled away in the plastic, but is visible and removable.

Its not a powered part, it is a passive oscillator that vibrates at a certain frequency when excited by the ignition electronics. It is easily foolable, by just getting another oscillator to fool the ignition at the right frequency, which is why these cars can still be stolen.

Like 986 said, you need to know the accessory wires, ignition wires and proper grounds, but that isn't too hard to find (or to figure out with a multimeter).

I thought about doing the push to start, but then I wised up a bit and now my fingerprint starts my car
Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #10

Quote:
The key, if you take it apart, has the circuit board, battery, metal key part (which is removable) and a small grey tube nestled away in the plastic, but is visible and removable.

Its not a powered part, it is a passive oscillator that vibrates at a certain frequency when excited by the ignition electronics. It is easily foolable, by just getting another oscillator to fool the ignition at the right frequency, which is why these cars can still be stolen.

Like 986 said, you need to know the accessory wires, ignition wires and proper grounds, but that isn't too hard to find (or to figure out with a multimeter).

I thought about doing the push to start, but then I wised up a bit and now my fingerprint starts my car
Now if I could make it that my car starts only with my fingerprint and my phone is all hooked up in the stereo system and all that I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd love to be able to turn my car on with my phone and turn on the heater or the air conditioner and roll up and down the windows and all that from an app on my phone. Although that seems to require a bit more skill than I think I'll ever have.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Biometric is retro You-should-see THE stuff out there now:

Old 09-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #12

Garage
The app thing makes a WHOLE lot of sense if you've done the ipad mini dash installation...

Having done it, the problem is that when driving I would much rather find the window button with just my touch feeling and press it to lower my windows, rather than try to find a software button on the screen.

It really isnt so bad though: ipad mini to a supported bluetooth receiver, connected to your favorite microcontroller which intercepts your window signal wires and controls them.

Or beef up your microcontroller selectino and run voice recognition, always listening for key phrases and do anything you can think of by voice control, like lower the top or windows
Old 09-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Biometric is retro You-should-see THE stuff out there now:

Haha, I hope you didnt fall for that
Old 09-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Haha, I hope you didnt fall for that
The chick coming out from the exhaust pipe aladin-style is still processing tho... just need time. I'll be okay, thx
Old 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Basically. ...as long as my car can connect to the RFID chip, then it'll let me push the engine to start, I'd find it a lot cooler than using the key like normal. I would just really like to be able to update my Boxster to it doesn't feel so outdated.
Actually, push button starters are an "old fashioned" technology, rather than "high-end tech". They were quite common in early cars, starting in 1912.

In fact, when garages actually repaired cars instead of just replacing parts, and virtually every working man was a shade tree mechanic, a common fix for a broken ignition switch was to install a momentary on switch as a push button starter. I even installed one on my 1995 S14.

Just sayin'...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Actually, push button starters are an "old fashioned" technology, rather than "high-end tech". They were quite common in early cars, starting in 1912.

In fact, when garages actually repaired cars instead of just replacing parts, and virtually every working man was a shade tree mechanic, a common fix for a broken ignition switch was to install a momentary on switch as a push button starter. I even installed one on my 1995 S14.

Just sayin'...........

TO
I didn't know that! That's kinda cool! I don't get why they decided to go to key ignitions as the standard! I'm a bit young so I don't know much about cars earlier than 1994. Being 20 and relatively new to cars I'm still finding out all sorts of things.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #17

Garage
I haven't visited the wikipedia page, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with security.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #18

Quote:
I didn't know that! That's kinda cool! I don't get why they decided to go to key ignitions as the standard! I'm a bit young so I don't know much about cars earlier than 1994. Being 20 and relatively new to cars I'm still finding out all sorts of things.
I built a starter bypass for my Alfa when I was having electrical issues (surprise!). Turned out my problem wasn't ignition switch related but I kept the contraption as a just in case.

Of course the Alfa had none of the security stuff our Boxters have.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to Gregtenerife
I've been thinking about one of these. Digital Guard Dawg - iKEY
Gregtenerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:08 AM   #20

Not sure how I came across this thread at random but Interesting find. Has anyone tried one of these?

What about just remote start? Has anyone installed a remote starter on their cars and has an experience to share?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregtenerife View Post
I've been thinking about one of these. Digital Guard Dawg - iKEY

amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote