986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   my DIY engine rebuild (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/54170-my-diy-engine-rebuild.html)

Chuck W. 05-17-2015 05:12 AM

This is like the end of a good book. I thoroughly enjoyed this thread and following your progress and in some ways, hate to see it end. But alas, it had a good ending. Congrates!

flaps10 05-17-2015 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epapp (Post 450053)
I didn't read some pages of the post, but what parts of the clutch assembly did you replace? Had same symptoms recently with hard to engage gears. Slowly turned to impossible to engage any gear unless motor was off. My pressure plate was broken (creaky) and the clutch fork was cracked (I assume less cracked/bent when selecting gears was still hard but possible, i.e. the stage you are at). Hopefully those were part of the replaced parts list?

Before i dropped my transmission at the beginning of the project i had been researching this clutch problem. After replacing the hydraulics and bleeding the system several times with my power bleeder I expected to find your scenario: the clutch fork cracked and/or the pressure plate FUBAR.

Neither was the case. There was some wear but nothing glaring. I ordered all new parts from Pelican and went with the updated 987 lever and all the parts that go with it, plus pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and pressure plate.

The 987 parts are supposed to resolve a creaking sound that annoys some people. If i was a doctor who just spent $70k making a statement i maybe could relate. As an engineer just trying to have some fun with a 15 year old car, if i understand what makes a noise and know it is working properly and not going to get worse i could care less about such details.

That clutch fork, along with the one i took out are actually pretty beefy steel stampings. Had i not ever seen pics of a cracked one i would consider it unlikely. They probably did a poor job of deburring the opening which the shaft goes through, leaving a stress riser that would eventually crack.

I know, blasphemy to suggest that Porsche parts aren't all made by journeyman machinists in lab coats. I can assure you there are many off the shelf "supplied parts" in these cars.

365dan 08-22-2015 07:33 AM

Flaps 10,
Thank you for posting your rebuild. I am in similar situation I had a intermixed due to a cracked head. Have done a teardown of the upper end and am on the fence to do a full rebuild. Have read that the cylinders can oval but can't be bored due to no oversized piston & rings not available. Did compression test and was good other than cracked cylinder. I too am considering the EPS roller bearing fix. How many miles have you gone any negative or positive feedback is appreciated. Thanks

flaps10 08-22-2015 03:53 PM

I'm just short of 10k miles since getting back on the road. Of course everyone knows the EPS roller doesn't work. Just ask any expert.

You say cracked head, and then cracked cylinder. I'm assuming you meant head even though both are possible.

Plenty of successful head welding jobs out there, though i would definitely find someone who had done M96 heads

barks 11-05-2015 04:29 PM

Thanks,

Now I only have 4 hours sleep before I have to get up for work!

Excellent job.

I'm currently swapping the head on 4-6 with the engine in, working on an axle stand and its annoying.

barks

hpfiend 01-08-2020 11:43 AM

Fantastic post! Did anyone happen to archive the pictures anywhere?

Thanks!
Andrew