Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #1

Anybody fitted spring & damper kits?

Has anybody fitted spring & damper kits? I was thinking of the adjustable types that would allow you to easily change the ride firmness. Any ideas or thoughts.

Gerrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

I installed Ksport Koilovers a few years back.

It's a harsh ride now no matter what setting they're on because I used the Ksports to lower the car quite a bit so there's less spring travel. If I loosen them up all the way, the car porpoises front to back (nauseating!)

Do a bunch of research and even drive or ride in a car with the equipment you want to move to before you do it to make sure you like the change.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post

It's a harsh ride now no matter what setting they're on because I used the Ksports to lower the car quite a bit so there's less spring travel. If I loosen them up all the way, the car porpoises front to back (nauseating!)

Do a bunch of research and even drive or ride in a car with the equipment you want to move to before you do it to make sure you like the change.

What spring rates are you running on the K-sports. I ran these when they first came out and for the money back then, they were great. The Taiwanese construction on them aren't the best but the adjust-on-the-go feature is nice.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrox View Post
Has anybody fitted spring & damper kits? I was thinking of the adjustable types that would allow you to easily change the ride firmness. Any ideas or thoughts.
This is a significant oversell and a good tuned suspension doesn't change easily and still work well. I have driven and right-seated a lot of Boxsters with modded suspension and honestly, some were quite awful. On the other hand, a carefully set up car is a dream to drive. The trick is getting it right.

Of the ones I have driven that got it right? Changing to a factory tuned ROW M030 kit with struts, springs and sways. You could goof this up but it would be difficult. M030 was carefully developed and it just feels great. The car is more precise, a little lower, but still quite comfortable on the street. For a dual purpose street/DE car this is what I would choose. It is also pretty reasonable at around $1100 plus install.

Adjustable struts? I like the PSS9 when set up properly. You can set your ride height and use the single-adjustable damper control to match dampening and spring rate. It's pretty much a set-it-and-forget-it deal because if you stray too far in dampening adjustments the car begins to lose that balance, sure-footedness and precision. These are more expensive both in hardware and the pro experience needed to set them up right. Plan to spend around $4k for PSS9s installed, set-up, corner balanced, and aligned. This is what I have on my car and it is the suspension choice of Boxster Spec Racing.

You could even spend more with JRZ, Moton, or Penske multi-adjustable dampeners to ring the last few % points from your setup but putting $8k suspension into an $8k car doesn't make much sense unless racing sponsors are footing the bill.

Last edited by Topless; 07-08-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the response guys, Topless I have seen mention of ROW M030 on different threads, but forgive my ignorance who manufactures them? I am in Ireland so would like to research a dealer or supplier over here.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrox View Post
Thanks for the response guys, Topless I have seen mention of ROW M030 on different threads, but forgive my ignorance who manufactures them? I am in Ireland so would like to research a dealer or supplier over here.
Porsche. It is the factory-tuned sport suspension for the Boxster and was available as an option.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #7

Is that option still available aftermarket?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #8

Boxster Euro Suspension Kit (ROW M030):Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

you might be able to simulate it with bilstein 'sport' shocks, lowering springs (H&R? Eibach?) and softer aftermarket swaybars (ie, not H&R) such as what tarett sells. the m030 package would be less expensive, however.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post

I love the Ksport coil overs and prefer them over conventional coil overs. Esp in the lower price point. Part of the problem with adjustable coil overs is the fact they are adjustable. most people don't know how to adjust them.

I think the biggest positive with the Ksport is the adjustable lower mount, which means height adjustability without affecting the spring preload. With normal coil overs you loosen the spring preload to lower the car which in many cases is the last thing you want when the suspension has less room to travel before bottoming out.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote