Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #1

IMS bearing change tools.

Going to bite the bullet and change the IMS bearings on my 2001 base 5 speed with 74K on her. The prior owner recently changed the clutch, was right there to make an easy install and nada...anyway....wondering how critical the recommended tool set is that Pelican sells in terms of the installation process? Are there good extraction tool substitutes that an experienced mechanic might already have on hand? thanks

Last edited by Miata2Boxster; 06-13-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Miata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miata2Boxster View Post
Going to bite the bullet and change the IMS bearings on my 2001 base 5 speed with 74K on her. The prior owner recently changed the clutch, was right there to make an easy install and nada...anyway....wondering how critical the recommended tool set is that Pelican sells in terms of the installation process? Are there good extraction tool substitutes that an experienced mechanic might already have on hand? thanks
You should not even be thinking about doing an IMS replacement without the correct tools.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Beginner

Garage
I made my own and it worked. Definitely hillbilly, and I wouldn't swear it would always work.

It's a Craftsman moulding blade, 2 inch PVC, 3/8 all thread, modified 3/8 coupling combo. The modified coupling is half ground away, heated with a torch and bent to fit under the IMS nut to pull the bearing out. I was in a hurry or instead of the ground out coupling I would have made a fitting with a 3/8 thread on one side and the IMS bearing bolt thread on the other side. It's cheap and I was just playing around, but it worked well for me. If I were more serious I'd have found the proper tool, or made a better one. So it's up to you make your own tool or buy one. I'd be very squeamish about using a tool that pressed on the engine block, it's just thin section aluminum and you'd stand to damage it by pressing on it to pull out the IMSB, the forces get quite high so press on the face of the intermediate shaft. Best of luck!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Oh no...that's not an official lisenced Porsche tool.
Did you at least take it to an official qualified Porsche shop?

You know, Porsche puts a lot of research and development into their tools, so you should only buy genuine Porsche tools and parts and paper and hats and floorboards and cats.

...and potatoes.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You should not even be thinking about doing an IMS replacement without the correct tools.
And even the right tools may be the wrong tools - I read somewhere on the interwebs that the tool (at least at one point) that Pelican was selling was setting the IMS to the wrong depth? Anyone recall that?
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I made my own and it worked. Definitely hillbilly, and I wouldn't swear it would always work.

It's a Craftsman moulding blade, 2 inch PVC, 3/8 all thread, modified 3/8 coupling combo. The modified coupling is half ground away, heated with a torch and bent to fit under the IMS nut to pull the bearing out. I was in a hurry or instead of the ground out coupling I would have made a fitting with a 3/8 thread on one side and the IMS bearing bolt thread on the other side. It's cheap and I was just playing around, but it worked well for me. If I were more serious I'd have found the proper tool, or made a better one. So it's up to you make your own tool or buy one. I'd be very squeamish about using a tool that pressed on the engine block, it's just thin section aluminum and you'd stand to damage it by pressing on it to pull out the IMSB, the forces get quite high so press on the face of the intermediate shaft. Best of luck!
Thanks! I like your style!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post

How in the **** did you come up with that? That is awesome. Way to go.